Newbie with an interesting experience this morning

This is a discussion on Newbie with an interesting experience this morning within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Newbie on the forum here. I'm from Missouri and have carried in my vehicle for years now since that is legal without a permit, and ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By CigarStix
  • 3 Post By StevePVB

Thread: Newbie with an interesting experience this morning

Newbie with an interesting experience this morning

Newbie on the forum here. I'm from Missouri and have carried in my vehicle for years now since that is legal without a permit, and we are an open-carry state, so I never worried too much about carrying (I"m rural) when I am out and about. But finally decided to get my permit.

I went into my sheriff's office this morning to get fingerprinted and asked the lady fingerprinting me if she has seen a lot of increase in permit applications. She said she had and then said, "It's going to make it a lot harder to get guns from people someday." She said this with a great sound of disappointment. I suggested they would already have an impossible task on their hands if they tried.

Then, in response to my question, she shows me the database of all the people she's fingerprinted in the last two days!! There were about 20 names on the list. I knew a half-dozen or so. In Missouri, those records are supposed to sealed except to law-enforcement. I wonder if the half-dozen people I know should know their privacy has been violated?? I'm not too confident that my privacy will be protected either. I have a rather high profile in the community as it is!

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the forum! What is private nowadays? I wouldn't worry to much about it since it is your right to get a permit and being as your not doing anything wrong by getting your permit. Ask those people you know from the list have they thought about getting their permit and see what they say. Even if you tell those people the lady could deny everything. So I wouldn't worry about it. That's like trusting that a doctor won't ever discuss your info with anybody not in the medical field.

No big surprise in that. Yes there are those that are flat determined to get all of our guns someday. Its their dream.
    That its not possible to do escapes them. Oh well same old thing over and over.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

I work in Healthcare and take confidentiality very seriously. If the Sheriff's office has a confidential "Complaint" line, I would definitely bring this to their attention. Or, if you feel comfortable, meet with the Ranking Officer and make him/her aware of what happened. I'm sure the Ranking Officers would want to know one of their clerks was sharing this information. You are protecting the department by doing this. What if you had been an auditor checking up on their procedures? They'd be screwed.
    Pistology likes this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

GH
    I'm more worried that the gumment has a record or access to records of gun ownership or licenses to carry, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

they have a record of everyone on this forum an everything you said you bought or posted a pic of

I wouldn't complain about the clerk until after you have your license. It would be a shame if your paperwork was "lost".

Steve, those were my thoughts exactly. I'm friends with most of the deputies (I am a firefighter as well), but I do not know the ladies in the office and do not trust them. I will talk to the supervisor with a badge after I get the permit. She is a friend, too and has attended my church.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Sounds like small town politics. You might not trust your Doctor to not discuss your medical issues but you sure can cost him $$$ if he does. Confidentiality means what it says. Get your permit. You might want to contact the Sheriff and/or the other people on the list with your concerns afterward. If not, or if you get the good ole boy runaround, contact that state police or state attorney general. Make a list now of the names you saw so that you have documentation. I personally would not let the issue rest.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Links