First IDPA - A Real Eye Opener!

This is a discussion on First IDPA - A Real Eye Opener! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm a believer! Participated in my first IDPA match last evening. Wow! Not only was it great fun, but if you are going to buy ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: First IDPA - A Real Eye Opener!

First IDPA - A Real Eye Opener!

I'm a believer! Participated in my first IDPA match last evening. Wow! Not only was it great fun, but if you are going to buy a gun, strap it on, and think you're ready to take on the world, THINK AGAIN!! (Disclaimer: I'm a newbie to the gun world, so my experience base started at near zero)

I've always been a strong beleiver in training, but when it comes to carrying a deadly weapon, I can't recommend IDPA enough. Sure the scenarios can be a little quirky, but the bottom line is that you learn how to Handle and how to Manage your weapon.

What were my scores? . . . Oh, I think I here my kids calling me for dinner . . . gotta go!

If you've been considering IDPA, JUST DO IT!
    JD, Aceoky, 40Bob and 5 others like this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Glad you enjoyed it. When's your next match?

IDPA is great fun isn't it? Like you I hadn't done a lot in the handgun world when I went to my first match 4 years ago. Everyone was welcoming and stressed safety and training. Since starting I've made some good friends there and learned good skills that one day could save my life and my family members as well. Nothing is ever going to completely prepare you for a real shooting situation but iDPA builds confidence, situational awareness and gives you a fighting chance.
    Aceoky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it. When's your next match?
    Tomorrow morning!
    JD likes this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

I havent competed yet but I go to regular IDPA practice at the range...the rangemasters recommended I do it instead of just shredding paper all the time. It's good training and it's cheap. I love moving and shooting.

I dont really want to compete but I might someday to get the added level of stress.
    Fortune favors the bold.

Freedom doesn't mean safe, it means free.

The thing about "defense" is that it has practically nothing to do with guns. (As passed on by CCW9MM)

Sure makes static practice seem pretty boring, doesn't it?

The action matches are a good way to hone the safe gun handling practices, too. Nothing like seeing experienced guys get caught sweeping themselves or breaking 180 to ram the lessons home.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Its fun watching someone that thinks they are Steven Seagall participate in their first IDPA match against guys and gals that
    have been doing it for years. By the end of the match that guy is usally eating a lot of humble pie with a side of crow.
    I was and still am one of those guys. I had no idea I sucked so bad until I went up against the more experienced and trained.

....and nothing will make you practice your butt off and become a better combat shooter than getting your butt handed to you in
    your first IDPA match. I don't mind making a fool of myself once....but never the second time.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Assuming you used it, how did the rig work for you?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Assuming you used it, how did the rig work for you?
    I did. I'll give you a better evaluation after using it again tomorrow.

Thanks for asking!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Re: First IDPA - A Real Eye Opener!

My only advice for IDPA (and self defense) is that "you can't miss fast enough

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

That looks quite fun and informative. I have never heard of IDPA before.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I shoot IPSC which is very similar to IDPA. What I like about these matches is that you dont need to "compete" if you dont want to. These are very good training sessions with a loaded firearm that teach you to control your weapon, move and safely discharge a round that you can build confidence with. I dont compete with the other shooters as much as I compete against myself. I learn a lot after each session just by how well I scored against my last shooting session. The more I shoot matches, the more I get addicted but the bottom line for me is, this is awesome training with live fire. I shoot 1911's and shoot in the single stack division.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    I'm a believer! Participated in my first IDPA match last evening. Wow! Not only was it great fun, but if you are going to buy a gun, strap it on, and think you're ready to take on the world, THINK AGAIN!! (Disclaimer: I'm a newbie to the gun world, so my experience base started at near zero)

I've always been a strong beleiver in training, but when it comes to carrying a deadly weapon, I can't recommend IDPA enough. Sure the scenarios can be a little quirky, but the bottom line is that you learn how to Handle and how to Manage your weapon.

What were my scores? . . . Oh, I think I here my kids calling me for dinner . . . gotta go!

If you've been considering IDPA, JUST DO IT!
    Your first match was a lot like my first match. I finished last. It wasn't even close. By my 5th match I was half way up the group in the lowest classification. I shoot all the matches with my EDC gun and IWB holster under a sweatshirt. I do use a paddle retained dual spare magazine holder that I don't wear when I'm packing.

The difference movingand shooting makes has to be experienced to be believed. Just the small added stress of the competition with people watching cause my bullets to be mis-directed all over the place for the first couple of shot strings, then I settled down. I decided smooth and accurate was the way to go. That if I was making hits, the speed would come. And it is, slowly.

When I shot an official classification match I made it just barely into the bottom of the lowest category - I had 14 points to spare.

I haven't tried it with any of my .45s yet. Only my Glock 19 and 26.

It took some research to come up with a SAAMI compliant load that met the power factor for the G26 but I found one with 115g bullets and VV N350 powder (1140 fps out of a Glock 26).

I highly recommend IDPA. It won't teach tactics, but gun handling, reloading under pressure, drawing, firing, firing while moving, shooting around (including over and under) barriers, and getting scored for both time and accuracy is the best practice that's readily available.
    Fitch
    Aceoky likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Welcome to the world of defensive pistol! IDPA is a lot of fun. I've been a gun owner for many moons but just started IDPA last year. I used to shoot police matches with my dad for many years and really love this. If you like IDPA, you may want to try USPSA or, "action pistol" matches as well. Less about cover and defense, and more on shooting and firearms handling skills. More "run and gun" so to speak. I love'em both, very addicting!! Good luck and practice as much as you can afford!!
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

I have to start. My club has an IDPA group that meets once a week and have been putting off going. I know it can only make me better.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links