Carry 380 chambered or not while mountain biking

This is a discussion on Carry 380 chambered or not while mountain biking within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Keltec 380 with a pocket holster that covers most of the weapon. I have sometimes carried it in my front pocket un-chambered ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Carry 380 chambered or not while mountain biking

I have a Keltec 380 with a pocket holster that covers most of the weapon. I have sometimes carried it in my front pocket un-chambered while mountain biking. I am an expert mountain biker and do not fall often at all but it does happen and although the impacts are most often to parts of the body other than that front pocket area it is possible that a hard metal part of the bike could hit the weapon during a crash.

Two questions:

1. How safe is it to carry this in my front pocket un-chambered?

2. How safe would it be to carry it chambered?

Basically, I am wondering how likely it is that this weapon would discharge due to impact. I also wonder the same thing about my Para Ordinance 45 double action 1911. I would never take that one mountain biking but I just wonder about it being dropped or whatever. You hear in the news about these guns "going off" and I just don't buy it. Looking for some confirmation one way or another on this subject.

Thank you

GH
    I'm really not too familiar with either of those guns but I carry chambered all the time (Glocks & S&W) & never had an ND. Of course I don't mountain bike, either. I like to chamber a round & top the mag off with another. God forbid if I ever need 15 shots to stop anyone. It might be hard to chamber while cycling unless you can do it one-handed. You'll also be drawing & hopefully putting some distance between you & an attacker. A lot to do under a stressful situation. I feel that if you're using a good holster & belt you should be okay & maybe just a bit safer.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Carry it chambered,DO you really want to have to think if your gun has a round chambered or not if you need to use it
    KBSR and bigdog44 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    If the gun is in good working condition it will not go off just by being dropped. It takes the trigger being pulled to make it fire. The stories you see where the gun "just went off" fail to mention the person grabbed the gun while it was falling and pulled the trigger. Remember the reporters writing the stories are for the most part ignorant of guns and also for the most part have an anti-gun agenda.

BTW Welcome to the forum.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    With the KelTec .380 the hammer "at rest" is perfectly flush with the rear of the slide so no impact issue exists there.
    Pulling the trigger all the way rearward to the release point is the only way that the gun will fire.
    It will be safe to carry during mountain biking with a round chambered.
    oneshot and sixgun like this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If you carry, then chambered. Per QKShooter safe but I am still of the belief if a gun is in a pocket, backpack, purse, or whatever, put it in a holster. That is how it is safe to carry. Keys and fingers do not get inside the trigger guard and it only fires when you cause it to. I also feel it is a further safety if and when dropped. JMO.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

I carry chambered. The gun in my nightstand is chambered. I don't want to have to think about which gun am I picking up and whether it is chambered. Keep them all the same - chambered.
    bigdog44 and sixgun like this.

As a CC holder, you are obligated to carry with one in the chamber....it is your duty. Never carry without a holster, no trigger guard = ND!
    bigdog44 likes this.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Carry it chambered.

I don't mountain bike, but this past April, I had a catastrophic failure (blow out) on the rear tire of my Harley Davidson, while running 60 MPH. My GF and I were returning from a bike rally in Alabama, pulling our TimeOut camper when this occurred. I had my Kimber Solo Carry 9MM in my right front pocket, chambered, like I always carry it.

We hit the pavement at probably 40-45, and slid on the asphalt for a short ways. When we got up, my right pants leg was shredded, and the barrel of my Kimber S/C was poking out. I pulled the pistol out through the hole in my jeans and inspected it. Besides some pretty good road rash, and a sheared pin on the ambidextrous thumb safety, it was still operational. Protected my leg behind where it rode as well. LOL

Sent it back to Kimber to have the thumb safety repaired, but left the road rash for sentimental reasons. Tried to attach a photograph, but couldn't get it to upload.

I say all that to say that you aren't going to land any harder on a mountain bike, than I did on the Harley, and my experience tells me the gun will not go off. BTW, I carried a KelTec .380 in that same pocket for a few years before the Kimber S/C came out. Always carried it chambered as well.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    As a CC holder, you are obligated to carry with one in the chamber....it is your duty. Never carry without a holster, no trigger guard = ND!
    I know this is conventional wisdom and all that, but I disagree that you should "never carry without a holster". Whatever works for you.

I carry my pocket gun, sans holster, chambered, with the thumb safety engaged. I've tried all the cute little holsters that are supposed to stay in your pocket when the pistol is drawn, and have rejected them all. Nothing else rides in that pocket, except my benchmade knife, which is clipped to the top of the pocket, thus there is nothing to get inside the trigger guard.

Because you think it's the only way to go, doesn't make it so. Just sayin...
    rocky likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

If your holster is a decent one that will prevent a ND from an unintended trigger pull then carry chambered. I personally think carrying a weapon anywhere forward of the hip bones is a recipe for disaster unless it is OWB, but if that is your choice then it is just that. Also, take into consideration that a hard fall could damage the weapon, which is of suspect quality to begin with, in a way that the drop safety and/or hammer block may not function as designed. The saying "modern handguns will not fire when dropped unless broken" is true, but something like taking a hard tumble mountain biking could cause a weapon to literally be broken. For example, a USBP agent crashed his ATV during a training exercise and literally snapped his H&K P2000 in half:

http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content...00-snapped.jpg

I would be more worried about the potential for injury from the gun against your body in the event of a crash. I dont know what you mean by "mountain biking", but when I go mtn biking, the risk of a good wreck is pretty high. If you just ride railways, smooth trails etc I would have no problem carrying. If you are riding more technical or challenging terrain, I wouldnt carry at all. I've broken ribs and been bruised from head to toe while riding. Landing on a gun would have made my problems much worse.

It's just food for thought. My concern of the gun "going off" wouldnt be an issue if carried properly. I'm more concerned with gun against internal organs when I ride

Always carry chambered
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    I know this is conventional wisdom and all that, but I disagree that you should "never carry without a holster". Whatever works for you.

I carry my pocket gun, sans holster, chambered, with the thumb safety engaged. I've tried all the cute little holsters that are supposed to stay in your pocket when the pistol is drawn, and have rejected them all. Nothing else rides in that pocket, except my benchmade knife, which is clipped to the top of the pocket, thus there is nothing to get inside the trigger guard.

Because you think it's the only way to go, doesn't make it so. Just sayin...
    What happens if your gun gets rotated in your pocket, you reach in to draw real fast, your thumb slips in the trigger guard and pulls the trigger?
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links