Moving To Portland, OR

This is a discussion on Moving To Portland, OR within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We plan on moving to Portland, Oregon, and would appreciate hearing from other Oregonians about how easy or hard it is to get a concealed ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chaplain Scott

Thread: Moving To Portland, OR

Moving To Portland, OR

We plan on moving to Portland, Oregon, and would appreciate hearing from other Oregonians about how easy or hard it is to get a concealed carry permit, and, in general, what the attitude of law enforcement is to folks who carry.

Thanks.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

My wife and I live about 80 miles south, and have found that the permit process went smoothly.
    Hers was delayed because of poor fingerprints, but mine was about 3 weeks from application to arrival.
    You can check with the county sheriffs in the counties making up the metro area of Portland, but most are pro-gun.
    We are a shall issue state, to this point. Many people in the area have forwarded info of 2 to 3 months, so you
    might consider a smaller county or longer commute if you are going to have to travel for work.
    Handgun laws allow for concealed carry, with no registration or limit of the number of guns associated with the license,
    such as the ridiculous laws in our neighbor state to the south.
    Just a note! Ammo has been dribbling in at a snails pace, with 22LR alnost non-existent. I saw 38, 357, 40 and a few others at the locall wally world.
    Here's hoping your move goes well, and welcome from Lebanon, Oregon

I'd put OR right up there with CO for states that are turning dangerously bluish due to the infestation of pothead liberals, I hope this doesn't impact CCW holders.

OP, do you really need a permit, I mean you have a Pug AKA the finest guard dog in the world, in terms of it's own food and excluding the mandatory 21 hours of daily sleep!

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I live in central Or and I had to make a appointment which was a long wait but after I got in it was 4 days and I had mine but I have other permits. Best to get your place that you plan on living in for sometime because if you move to another county you must get permit changed to new county and there is a charge for the change. Central and southern Or are pretty red but north is a bit different, I have 2 daughters that live in the Portland area and its a lot different there

One brief note for you from the next state north: Your Oregon permit does you no good across the river in Washington. Oregon reciprocates with almost nobody on their CPL's.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    We plan on moving to Portland, Oregon, and would appreciate hearing from other Oregonians about how easy or hard it is to get a concealed carry permit, and, in general, what the attitude of law enforcement is to folks who carry.
    Oregon is a shall-issue state, but some of the county sheriffs can be a bit cranky about the concept. Most are fine. Check Calguns.net for some good info on the county-by-county specifics. Knowing which (few) sheriffs are a bit sticky might alter your decision on exactly where to live. (As suggested, the state is, at least in the larger metro areas, showing signs of turning "dangerously blue-ish" with respect to firearms.)

That said, it's also one of the states where you can go the full NFA route, if that's your thing (class III weapons, such as machine guns, short-bbl guns).

Easy process. You apply, supplying fingerprints and photos, get interviewed briefly by the sheriff (at least, I did), then the license is issued so long as you're not a "prohibited" sort of person according to the statutory requirements for issuing the CHL.

Generally, LE seems to be fairly open to the idea. And the state does have state-wide preemption of local statutes, at least for concealed carry with a CHL. For OC without a CHL, however, be aware that many municipalities have no-guns ordinances that need to be understood (including in Portland).

The statutes are worth reviewing, of course: ORS 161, including use of force; ORS 163, person crimes; ORS 164, property crimes; and ORS 166, firearms statutes.

I would also suggest picking up a copy of Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws, by Ken Starrett.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I'm out near Astoria on the coast. As others have said, the process is easy. I actually found it easier to get the CHL than it was to get my Oregon driver's license. If you are going to be in the Portland area, I would definitely get the Washington non-resident permit. It was easy to get.

Thanks all for the helpful responses. We are not moving until April, so I have time to check further, as suggested.

And MJB-17, you are right. My Pug should do all the protecting I need, at least during the few hours he isn't eating or sleeping.
    Last edited by Ron; February 16th, 2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: D
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    Ron: I was born and raised in Oregon, in the Portland area. While I have not lived there since 1980 (when I graduated from Seminary in the Portland area), but I still have plenty of relatives and my wife's family in the area. The Portland area itself is a really strange place--many folks worship nature (literally), but the percentage of folks who hunt/fish are steadily declining. In the I-5 corridor, unless you have a CCL, you cannot have a loaded weapon in your vehicle, and even the magazines CANNOT be loaded. I would say that the general public in the Portland Metro area are almost rabidly anti-gun.

Traffic in the Metro area is absolutely insane. If you want peace and quiet, try living a ways out of Portland. My recommendation would be out PAST Hillsboro towards Forest Grove, or even to my old home town, Vernonia.
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

I recommend you go to the noodle bowl when you get there. They have some delicious dishes.

Find my cousin Amy and tell her I said hello.

New Member Array Sturgeonslayer's Avatar
    Ran across this site and decided to join, I live in St Helens Oregon, about 25 miles nw of Portland and I work in Portland, Some of the other posts are correct, Portland is very anti gun, and the other poster is correct unless you have a chl do not try to open carry in Portland. I do both in the small town I live in and get no hassles from anyone, if you are a vet of the armed forces all you will need to obtain your chl is your dd214. and Oregon accepts no other states permits. The rural county I live in has a short turn around time for the permit my wife had hers inside a week. and yes vernonia is a great little town (same county as I live in). with all that said hope you enjoy the PNW.

New Member Array Sturgeonslayer's Avatar
    sorry forgot to say to give nwfirearms a try its a local forum like this.

Links