TX CHL and Employment

This is a discussion on TX CHL and Employment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a question I had never even looked at since it didn't apply in my case, but do you have to be employed to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CATX

Thread: TX CHL and Employment

TX CHL and Employment

This is a question I had never even looked at since it didn't apply in my case, but do you have to be employed to apply for/get a CHL in TX? I see nothing in the the law that says so but I don't have a CHL instructor that I can contact to clarify either. The reason I ask is that I have been gently but firmly persuading my girlfriend to get hers, as has her father and he and I are making progress. She doesn't have a real job, she has a fashion blog (don't ask) but no real income and "aspires" to get into PR (again, don't ask!). I was looking at the CHL app yesterday and form 78A has a field for employment and 78B for the supplement. I didn't have to fill out 78A or b since my current job has been for almost 7 years. She otherwise qualifies in every regard (criminal, psyc, etc) although she had a DWI arrest about 3 years ago that was later dismissed completely. Does her not technically having a credible job disqualify her?

2. Remove Ads

Financial situation has no barring on getting a CHL. Just have a good background record, and you should be fine.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Quote Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
    Financial situation has no barring on getting a CHL. Just have a good background record, and you should be fine.
    No not me! I have a real job...she doesn't, she has daddy's (issues) money instead and her pet projects.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    This is a question I had never even looked at since it didn't apply in my case, but do you have to be employed to apply for/get a CHL in TX? I see nothing in the the law that says so but I don't have a CHL instructor that I can contact to clarify either. The reason I ask is that I have been gently but firmly persuading my girlfriend to get hers, as has her father and he and I are making progress. She doesn't have a real job, she has a fashion blog (don't ask) but no real income and "aspires" to get into PR (again, don't ask!). I was looking at the CHL app yesterday and form 78A has a field for employment and 78B for the supplement. I didn't have to fill out 78A or b since my current job has been for almost 7 years. She otherwise qualifies in every regard (criminal, psyc, etc) although she had a DWI arrest about 3 years ago that was later dismissed completely. Does her not technically having a credible job disqualify her?
    Oone does not need a job to carry a CHL...just a clean criminal history chck...if it were not so, retired people would not qualify....

I got my Texas CHL in 2012 and I haven't had a job outside of the home in over 8 years. I've never even had a speeding ticket, so I didn't have any problems at all.
    USM1976 likes this.

VIP Member
    Employment is not required. Many wives, that don't work outside the home have permits.

PLEASE, all the stay at home mom's and wives don't jump me. I'm not saying you don't have job, and very important and demanding ones at that. Just using your lack of formal income as an example.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    They ask for employment addresses so they can conduct a background search in the area of your job (as well as home address). She needs to indicate that she works from home, if this is the case.

Remember, affidavits are signed when submitting the app, so be truthful.

Links