Wife's first response to a friends home being broken into

This is a discussion on Wife's first response to a friends home being broken into within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not earth shattering but it was a first for my wife... My wife responded to a friends home a few minutes away when the alarm ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Wife's first response to a friends home being broken into

Wife's first response to a friends home being broken into

Not earth shattering but it was a first for my wife...

My wife responded to a friends home a few minutes away when the alarm company called at 1243PM (mid day) saying there was a break in. Our friends are in Hawaii. (I was at the gym 30 mins away). As she rolled up to the house, 6 cops were already there and she came out of the car not even thinking about her CC which at the time was more of a OC since the cop saw a pink set of grips hanging out of her Remora pocket holster. The cop asked whats up and she stated she is a "first responder" for the alarm company for our friends. The cop asked about the gun and she simple said, "I was not sure what I would be up against when I came here". He said, "Good for you. Best to be prepared."... They had a good conversation about carrying and what each of them carry... Kind of weird really but really built up her confidence on carrying. FWIW, WA is an OC state and the wife has her CCP too.

So the perp went through a garden window above the kitchen sink and the alarm rang out as he turned the corner of the kitchen to the living room. He left quickly... So quickly that he left his back pack and according to the police, a fully charged cell phone...

My wife also called our friends and discussed with then that it looks like nothing was missing. They and we are concerned because Linda, my friends wife, no longer works and normally would be reading her Kindle during the day without the TV or radio on. Sooo, now she thinks she may have been home sitting in the living room when the perp broke in. She has no gun but wants to seriously discuss gun training and keeping one at home now...Amazing what happens when its YOUR home that gets hit... Linda was not a very pro gun before this incident...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

2. Remove Ads

Like they say. A liberal is a conservative that hasn't been mugged yet. She is lucky to have friends like you. I'm sure you'll do a good job introducing her to firearms and before you know it she will be championing our cause as well.

You guys are great friends ! Thank you for sharing this story, and glad to hear your friends made out ok
    sixgun likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Your wife is one brave little lady. Hats off to her
    USM1976, Maverick20 and Aceoky like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

buy her some flowers. thats a good woman.

Quote Originally Posted by ZOMBIEvs42 View Post
    buy her some flowers. thats a good woman.
    +1 ..... and she may be a good influence on the female home owner. Sounds like a positive interaction with the Police as well, which probably reinforced things to her.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Sounds like the alarm woke Ms. Linda up (figuratively speaking).

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    she is a def keeper
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    The cop asked about the gun and she simple said, "I was not sure what I would be up against when I came here". He said, "Good for you. Best to be prepared."
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    Amazing what happens when its YOUR home that gets hit... Linda was not a very pro gun before this incident...
    And that's how simple it is. It's why we carry, train. It's why statutes that criminalize upstanding citizens do little more than ensure they're incapable of surviving deadly situations.

Kudos to your wife for the "confidence" boost. Good to see she's seeing things clearly.

Though, with an apparent break-in, one needs to think very hard about the realities of being a lone "first responder" in such a situation. More and more, break-ins are involving multiple perpetrators, often armed to the teeth. It can be an extremely dangerous thing to interrupt, if one isn't highly prepared. Just this past week a thread was posted about someone happening upon a similar break-in/invasion of a neighbor's home ... and he was killed for it, despite the fact that he was armed and came out blasting. Point being: there are no guarantees in this deadly risky "game" felons are playing.

Kudos to the friend for having her eyes opened, and learning from it. Hopefully she can start taking active, effective steps toward improving her own security, and her own chances in the event the big ugly comes to visit.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Good for your for being "prepared." Due caution is always warrented. I believe the LEO's attitude reflects that of most LEOs.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

MJK
    Kudos for being a good friend and neighbor!
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

What a gal!

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Like they say. A liberal is a conservative that hasn't been mugged yet. She is lucky to have friends like you. I'm sure you'll do a good job introducing her to firearms and before you know it she will be championing our cause as well.
    +1 here Glad all was ok. And we might have another on our side of the fight. Stay safe and carry on.

Kudos to the wife!

I would also like to say thanks to the dirtbag who broke in and left his cell phone......it makes it much easier for the cops to give him a call.
    USM1976 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I picked up the friends from the airport last night and all they could talk about was the break in and not their two weeks in Hawaii... too bad about this happening two days before the end of that vacation. Linda was totally silent when I asked what would she have done if this happened if she was home at the time. She stated that she definitely would have been sitting around either on the PC or reading and just shook her head... Her husband gave me a look like OK... now she understands what may have transpired.

I invited both to go to the local in door range for some fun shooting at targets. This range has over 120 guns for rent and they have a really great deal where one can rent and use any and all guns for feel and ease of use during the range time. They are looking forward to this opportunity.

I did tell them my wife and I would walk through the safety issues with both revolvers and my semi's and will bring my light loads for the 38 specials and 9mm's so they can get a little experience shooting targets. I'll also plan to use basic bullseye targets instead of silhouettes. I think they will be walking out of the gun range with grins from ear to ear... I know my wife did after her first time... and still does today... I also asked if they like range time that I would want Linda to attend a female only training class about 30 miles away and my wife will accompany her... I think that would set the hook...

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    JoJoGunn and Aceoky like this.
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links