Having a beer or wine with dinner while carrying?

This is a discussion on Having a beer or wine with dinner while carrying? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know that it is illegal to be intoxicated while carrying and that you are prohibited in most states from carrying while in a bar ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Having a beer or wine with dinner while carrying?

I know that it is illegal to be intoxicated while carrying and that you are prohibited in most states from carrying while in a bar but what about nursing a beer or two or a glass of wine in a restaurant with dinner (or party or wedding, etc.) while carrying?

A dumb idea? A definate no-no? Or okay with caution? Or stick with water or ice tea?

Is this as black & white as "no drinking & driving?"
    KJ

Member: NRA, GOA

"The more you sweat in training, the less you will bleed in battle" - Navy Seals

VIP Member
    no-no in NC

Cant say if it is totally illegal here or not but i don't drink and i personally would say dumb ideal

Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Cant say if it is totally illegal here or not but i don't drink and i personally would say dumb ideal
    + 1
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I believe Texas reads that you can not be intoxicated while carrying. I believe the limits would be the same as driving as in .08 for legal intoxication.

Now that being said, it may not be the best idea to push the limit, but only the holder can make up their mind as to what is right in their own case other than following the "law" in thier specific state.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member

Advice only...

but I agree with what others have said--don't do it.

Depends... at home fine... at a restraunt that serves alcohol... here in SC... your not supposed to even be carrying in there. Illegal to even carry in a place that sells alcohol for consumption on premises. So no, here, you can't even have one beer and be carrying.

And the thing about it is that if your carrying and need to use it, your probably going to get checked. And a level or 0.005 to .0099 can be used, along with other evidence, to try and prove you were impaired. So even if your under .01 it could come back to haunt you in court if they realy want to screw with ya. Not sure I got my decimal points in the right place... but ya know what I mean. One beer may not get you half the limit. Depends on some things. But it could...

In Utah you cannot carry while intoxicated. The limit is the same as for driving, .08. I've heard that other places have stricter standards. So the law depends on where you are.

As for whether it's a dumb idea or not, I'd say it is. Personally, if I'm carrying, I'm not going to be drinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankujoe View Post
    I know that it is illegal to be intoxicated while carrying and that you are prohibited in most states from carrying while in a bar but what about nursing a beer or two or a glass of wine in a restaurant with dinner (or party or wedding, etc.) while carrying?

A dumb idea? A definate no-no? Or okay with caution? Or stick with water or ice tea?

Is this as black & white as "no drinking & driving?"
    Individual, and State, dependent.

Would you drink alcohol while driving a vehicle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects...ffects_by_dose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_a...fferent_levels

Stay away from the alcohol if you are carrying regardless of the legality - just do it for common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I believe Texas reads that you can not be intoxicated while carrying. I believe the limits would be the same as driving as in .08 for legal intoxication.

Now that being said, it may not be the best idea to push the limit, but only the holder can make up their mind as to what is right in their own case other than following the "law" in thier specific state.
    As I understand our Texas law (from online information and from the CHL class), the "intoxicated" with a CHL does NOT mean the the .08 for DUI. It is an undefined "intoxicated" ... which means that if there is reasonable proof you are impaired, you probably will be judged guilty ... more importantly, it could potentially be a serious issue if one were unfortunate enough to have to use your handgun.
    ** Is your mission on earth complete? Check your pulse. **
    ******** If you still have one, the answer is NO! *********

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    Would you drink alcohol while driving a vehicle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects...ffects_by_dose

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_a...fferent_levels

Stay away from the alcohol if you are carrying regardless of the legality - just do it for common sense.
    For the sake of argument.... "no". "Drunk", while carrying? Absoutely not. "a drink"? I'm 6'4" and 260lbs-ish. My body mass is such that I'm quite capable of having a drink with dinner - especially when you factor in the effect of food on alcohol absorption - without any worries.

IIRC, FL sets a limit of 0.05 BAC for carrying, vs. 0.08 for driving. That seems sensible.

G.

VA--doesn't say either way, but I *personally* do not drink and carry. If something bad were to happen, I would not want anyone to question my judgement or have my judgement come into question IRT what I was drinking.

Even regardless of legality, think of what would happen if you had a beer, and God forbid, had to shoot someone in self-defence. Imagine what kind of legal troubles you'd be in, in civil court at least! The BG's family's lawyer harping on how you were under the influence of alcohol and such...yeah, just not a good idea. You're better off enjoying a nice glass of beer or wine in the comfort of your own home afterward and having an icewater at the restaurant. Besides, consuming alcohol and lapsing into "condition white" kind of go hand in hand. For various reasons, I think you are better off with a no alcohol when carrying policy. Not least of which, to represent legal ccw permit holders well to the general public...people would get really weirded out by someone drinking when carrying, even if you are of the belief that a single beer isn't really going to affect you. Well, at least for me, it just isn't worth it.

Oh, and the beer they sell in restaurants is ridiculously overpriced, so thats another good reason!

Assistant Administrator
    Very very rarely - I might have one beer spread over an hour and a half at the dinner table. That small qty of alcohol will be metabolized before I even leave the place.

I say rarely and mean it - in fact last time was maybe 2 years ago now I think on it! I generally just have a soda. I guess now in fact I have tightened up so as to not have anything tho the DUI limit in PA would be a benchmark I think - but that too would be too much IMO.

So play safe is really the way to go. I do at times wonder late in the day tho, when I have had two or three shots before turning in - I could be marginal re the limit then for a while just maybe. But I enjoy my nightcap! My last recollections of being ''drunk'' are well back in the past, pre carry days and some!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links