Need some advice on .45 for cc

This is a discussion on Need some advice on .45 for cc within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have decided to purchase either the G36 or the G30 as a primary cc weapon. The 36 weighs less unloaded and loaded (probably due ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Need some advice on .45 for cc

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar

I have decided to purchase either the G36 or the G30 as a primary cc weapon.

The 36 weighs less unloaded and loaded (probably due to mag capacity of only 6)
    the 36 is longer than the 30 but narrower , heights are about the same.

the 30 is heavier by 7 oz loaded, and 3 oz unloaded...(unloaded not really a factor as will always be loaded).
    the 30 is shorter by 5mm.
    mag capacity is 10....

anyone have any comments (advantage/disadvantage) on these two...
    I need to decide as soon as I can make up my mind.

Thanks
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Check out the new 30S. It has the slide of a 36 and the frame of a 30SF.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Check out the new 30S. It has the slide of a 36 and the frame of a 30SF.
    How nice....more confusion...
    LOL
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    How nice....more confusion...
    LOL
    Unless you need a Gen 4 model, go for the 30S. Same capacity as the 30, but lighter and a slimmer slide. No brainer if you ask me!

I would say pick one and enjoy..... 5mm here or 10mm there is insignificant to me.... and if 7 oz is enough to make you go hmmmm... go with the lighter gun. I went from a kahr CM9 to a Ruger SR40C.... loved the kahr but I have no issues with the Ruger either. If you can shoot some, see what feels best and roll with it.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    I would say pick one and enjoy..... 5mm here or 10mm there is insignificant to me.... and if 7 oz is enough to make you go hmmmm... go with the lighter gun. I went from a kahr CM9 to a Ruger SR40C.... loved the kahr but I have no issues with the Ruger either. If you can shoot some, see what feels best and roll with it.
    You make a few good points. One can sit in front of a computer all day researching and looking at pictures of different guns they want, but you can't beat seeing them or handling them in person.
    pittypat21 likes this.

I carry the G30sf daily in a Desantis IWB holster and it is as comfortable a CCW as you'll find.
    I also have a G21, it holds 13+1 rounds. The G30sf holds 10+1 I only lose 3 rounds and the firearm is VERY nice to shoot.
    I highly recommend it, but it is what I carry. Each person will advocate their own firearm.
    As for .45, it's a good choice. Everytime I pull the trigger, it goes bang! Then again...it's Glock, it's what you expect.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Both Glock pistols you mentioned are fine firearms. That said, I'm partial to my SA XDs for CC and my S&W M&P .45 for some serious target shooting.
    stevenshizzle likes this.

VIP Member
    Typical! There is no wrong answer here.

Ask yourself some questions.

How hung up are you on size and weight for a carry gun?

What is your philosophy regarding capacity?

How large are your hands? Can you get a proper grip on the larger frame of the G30? Some can't.

Have you shot either of these guns? How did you do with them?

There is no such thing as the perfect gun. Make trade-offs that maximize what you are looking for and minimize what you are not. That will tell you which may be right for you.

Either way, until you have lived with the choice for a while (and trained with it), you can never know "for sure". Sometimes you just have to take a leap.
    Aceoky likes this.
    If you have never broken your gun or bled on your gun in training, you're doing it wrong!
    Train hard, live easy.

I'm biased as you can tell by my handle. I shoot the G36 very well, so I like it.

I carry the 36 in a Silent Thunder IWB by Garrett Industries which I wear 90% of the time appendix carry and the other 10% at 3 o'clock canted.

The thinner slide makes more of a difference carrying this gun IWB than the numbers imply. My son's G27 feels noticeably thicker on the belt. I don't know why 1.10 vs 1.18 inches. That's like a princess and the pea story; but the G30 is like 1.28 inches. I'm sure that would be noticeable.

Just my opinions.You really can't go wrong with either.
    “The goal of modern propaganda is no longer to transform opinion but to arouse an active and mythical belief”- Jacques Ellul

“Think of the press as a great keyboard on which the government can play.”- Joseph Goebbels

I had both 30 and 36....still have the 36 and always will. When you read the specs, there doesn't seem to be a big difference,but believe me the difference when you carry all day long is huge. I know that many people carry the G30 but I never could. I bought several good holsters for the G30, and the result was always the same: it was uncomfortably blocky and heavy, and it looked like I was growing a tumor out of my side. Not so with the G36.

saa
    I carry a G36 with Pearce PG-36 +1 magazine extensions. It completely changes the configuration of the grip, as well as adds a new level of control. I love it.

Now, that said, I also carry a G26 too, with Pearce +2 extensions. I get 13 rounds from a smaller footprint. Just like the G36, it's deadnuts accurate - every time. It never misses a beat, and is also super easy to carry and conceal.

I carry 4:00 in a Pro Carry II with a slight forward cant. It's an excellent holster and protects the firearm well during carry and movement (sitting, etc). It's also easy to pull and replace, one handed, no look. The same holster, designed for the G26, will fit both the G26 and the G36, perfectly. The G36's grip is a little longer and the barrel rides a tad lower in the holster, but still doesn't extend beyond the end of it. Shape for form for both is just perfect.

The G30S is a little more bulky, for me, and I don't need that. I got the extra round from the extension and the grip is fantastic. I don't need the bulk. You may like it if you have large hands?

As time goes on, I have a tendency to carry the G26 most often.

Now: A couple questions:
    1) Why are you set on a .45? (With Less rounds, heavier, control issues, etc; what sold you on .45?) Don't carry it because it's a popular caliber.
    2) Have you evaluated and fired other calibers (.40, and 9mm to be precise)? There is little difference today from 9mm, .40, and .45 net effectiveness with self defense ammo. So to be fair to yourself, evaluate them all. Calibers, I mean, I'm sold on brand - Glock is the only carry gun for me.

The questions are just to open your evaluation of carry options a bit. .45 has it's place, but you should know exactly why you are carrying this caliber.

just my HO, but I have and regularly shoot all of the calibers and many different manufacturers firearms. Getting your hands on a few of the other glocks will give you some feedback to reflect on as you decide.

Ask any questions. I'll give you any specific feedback you want.
    saa.
    Last edited by saa; February 18th, 2013 at 06:11 AM.

I picked up a Glock 36 a few months ago and have been very happy with it so far. I tried both the 30 and 36 in the shop's range and the 36 just felt better in my hand. I think the 36 is also a little more comfortable in an IWB holster all day.

There's really no wrong answer here as either is a fine choice for CCW.
    Mike

“Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion... in private self-defense.”
    John Adams (Americas 2nd US President)

I just watched Hickock45's new vid on the G30s and it looks really impressive. Check it out on YouTube.
    stevenshizzle likes this.

saa
    The only drawback to the new G30S is that it is as wide as the other .45 Glocks (G30, G30SF). They are all about 1.25 wide, approx.; while the G36 is 1.10 wide. That one-eighth of an inch is a huge amount when you're looking at concealment and bulk off of, or inside, the belt - at least in my evaluation.

Now, that said, Mdauben hit it on the head above: There is no wrong choice. It's what suits you, your hand size and grip, and your carry style the best. They all are excellent CCW pistols.

And just for note, all Glocks, even full size models are fully concealable. When I want a large capacity CCW, I carry my G22 .40 SW. When I go to the range, I want a larger capacity reserve "just in case" and it carries as well as any of my others. Just a little larger, but totally concealed. No question.

That's why it's so important for newer shooters to get their hands on as many models as they can before they buy one. Or, buy a model that you know you'll use - a G30 or 36 - and then add to your carry gun collection as you go. Give yourself options for different carry, dress, and situation.

My goto CCW's are G36 and G26, and G22 if needed. All great CCWs!
    saa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links