Concealed Permit age being lowered

This is a discussion on Concealed Permit age being lowered within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm doing a college writing paper and I'd like some feedback from people. I believe that nationwide the concealed carry age should be lowered to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Concealed Permit age being lowered

Concealed Permit age being lowered

I'm doing a college writing paper and I'd like some feedback from people. I believe that nationwide the concealed carry age should be lowered to 18. I'd like to hear from people who disagree and why? It would be a big help. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Considering that 18 yo can drive and fight for our country in foreign lands with weapons much more powerful than what they can carry, I don't have a problem with it. I think they should be restricted to only carrying with another, older licensed carrier and be restricted to the right lane only.

On the other hand, you have different fingers.
    USM1976 likes this.
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Won't work very well without changing the BATF regs as well.......have to be 21 to buy the gun and ammo before you can even consider carrying. All in all, probably a bad idea; that's a mute point, however, as much of the government now doesn't want anyone to be able to carry.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

VIP Member
    I am mixed. You can go to war and die for your country at 18 but there are a lot of immature 18 year olds still in high school. There are way too many laws and restrictions on the books so, I guess I am for it. My son at 19 could carry no problems. He can't wait till he turns 21 not to drink but to purchase his very own handgun.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    I know 16 year-olds I would trust to carry a gun and I know 30 year-olds that I don't. As a general rule, I don't like ANY restrictions and age is merely a "best guess" at maturity.

My personal opinion is that if you are old enough to vote, old enough to carry.

ETA:

Also, at that age you are old enough to pay the price of any misconduct. With power comes responsibility and, what few people mention, consequences.
    Last edited by RoadRunner71; February 18th, 2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: ETA
    atctimmy likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

MrBuckwheat, I share similar views with your son. I too am 19 and am itching to be able to carry. I agree that there are many 18 year olds who could not handle the responsibility but I also believe there are "mature" adults who could be labeled the same. Appreciate the feedback though, thank you!

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    How about if you have to be "sponsored" by a current licensee?
    The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

Lionround, I like that idea. Do you feel as though that sponsor would then be held, at some level, responsible for any misconduct done by the carrier?

Honestly I have to ride the fence. On the one hand, I served in the Army and agree that if someone can die for their country they should be able to protect themselves as well. On that same argument, many of the young soldiers I served with ( I was 19 myself but grew up with firearms) had no business touching a gun. They scared the crap out me. Granted, I was in aviation but that was a different story. I realise not all 18 yr olds are stupid, and many are very capable of carrying a weapon safely. I would be all for mandatory training, as I believe it should be required for everyone. As noted previously, federal regulations set the age limit for firearms at 21, so you would also have to change that as well.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    Won't work very well without changing the BATF regs as well.......have to be 21 to buy the gun and ammo before you can even consider carrying. All in all, probably a bad idea; that's a mute point, however, as much of the government now doesn't want anyone to be able to carry.
    You have to be 21 to purchase from a FFL....18 for private party sale.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

So just to get my facts straight, Im 19 so I could purchase a firearm through a private sale? And if so, could it be registered to me?

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post

Actually, in some states, like PA, a parent or grandparent can buy a handgun and gift it to their child (same with ammo).
    CamClark likes this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    Actually, in some states, like PA, a parent or grandparent can buy a handgun and gift it to their child (same with ammo).
    Who would the handgun then be registered to?

In S.C. a 18 yr old can buy a firearm thru private sales,but,there is no gun registration,not in my state anyway.Personally i think an 18 yr old should get a chance to get a ccw.i know there are some adults older,that shouldn't even have a firearm

A parent or grandparent would purchase it in their name, then give it to you. Guns don't need to be registered in PA, so there is no paperwork that you would have to do for it to be transferred into your name.

Feel free to PM me with more questions.

Also, there is a very good, Pennsylvania-specific gun forum that can answer your PA questions. forum.pafoa.org

You can learn a lot of great general info here. You can learn some PA firearms law info there. I would recommend frequenting both forums.
    CamClark and blitzburgh like this.
    "My problem with life is not that it is rational nor that it is irrational, but that it is almost rational." - G.K. Chesterton

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links