Pocket carry

Pocket carry

This is a discussion on Pocket carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is true what people say. Once you buy one gun, you will be buying another not long after. My carry is my M&P40c. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Pocket carry

Pocket carry

It is true what people say. Once you buy one gun, you will be buying another not long after.
    My carry is my M&P40c. I see no problems concealing it in the cool months but in the summer, I don't see that it'll be possible. In the summer I wear shorts and a tucked in snug T shirt. I'm also 5'9", 155lb with 8% body fat.
    I'm thinking about a pocket carry (maybe a LC9 or a PPS9).
    Those that pocket carry, do you have the gun in a holster? Or just bare?
    Do you carry one in the chamber?
    Do you rely on the safeties?

Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by CJ_mp40c View Post
    Those that pocket carry, do you have the gun in a holster? Or just bare?
    ALWAYS in a holster. In my case, a Kimber Solo in a Desantis Superfly. I highly recommend both.

Do you carry one in the chamber?
    Always.

Do you rely on the safeties?
    Yes.

Welcome to the forum!

What you can conceal doesn't really depend on what your body figure is. You need to dress around your gun. If you want to carry your M&P 40c in summer months, then you need to dress appropriate for it. If not, then you need a different carry position which you pointed out.

Which leads me to my next point, you better have some big pockets if you plan on pocket carrying the PPS. The PPS is about the same size as your M&P and just as heavy. There are some pocket 9's like the Kahr CM9 and also a lot of .380's will do great for pocket carry like the Ruger LCP.

Always carry a gun in a holster! No questions asked! If you want to carry without one in the chamber, do you think you'll have enough time to rack the slide if a situation arises?

If you want my opinion, wear your summer clothes around the house with your current gun/holster setup. Do that for a while and see how you feel with it. If you don't feel comfortable with it, then start looking for another gun.
    CJ_mp40c likes this.

Welcome to the DC forum!

Sioux565 pretty much hit it on the head, so what I'm going to reply will be very similar
    1) Most anyone can conceal a M&P compact in any weather, it's what you wear around it. If you want to continue to carry your 40c in the summer, get bigger clothes.
    2) Based on your size description above, you can't carry a PPS9 in your pockets. I'm also going to say you can't get a CM9 in there either as they're not much smaller
    3) ALWAYS, Always, always carry your gun in a holster. If I'm not mistaken, it's against the law to CC in not some sort of holster.
    4) Carry chambered.
    CJ_mp40c likes this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

The superfly says it has "polymer in the right places". I would assume it adds some stiffening to the trigger area?

I was looking at a Sticky Holster. What do people think of them?

Would you recommend a DAO?

PS. I'll be a 9mm or .40 . I have shot my friend's LCP and with the size of my hands, I get one and a half fingers on the grip. It wants to pop out of my hand.

The superfly says it has "polymer in the right places". I would assume it adds some stiffening to the trigger area?

PS. I'll be a 9mm or .40 . I have shot my friend's LCP and with the size of my hands, I get one and a half fingers on the grip. It wants to pop out of my hand.
    I don't have experience with Sticky, but I do with Remora. They are pretty thick and I think there would be better options out there.

How do you carry your MP 40c right now? OWB or IWB?

I just checked mine, and I think the only "added polymer" is along the part that is next to the top of the gun. There's really no extra stiffening in the trigger area, but it would be almost impossible to accidentally activate the trigger in the holster. (I never carry anything in my pocket with my holstered gun.)

The holster is really tacky; it would be difficult to pull the holster from your pocket while drawing your gun.

Right now, I open carry some. I have applied for my CC and am waiting for it to clear. I will be carrying OWB.

The Sticky or Remora or Desantis Superfly would be a good option for a IWB carry.

These soft holsters really protect the trigger? Even when re-holstering?

Take a look at smartcarry.com and see what you think of that holster. I use one and with ANY sort of pleated pants it is absolutely undetectable. I carry a S&W 4516.

VIP Member
    With minor adjustments to your dress, you should be able to CC with the M&P 40c without a problem. If you do decide to get a pocket carry gun, DO NOT carry it without it being in a holster. Always use a holster. Carrying it loose in your pocket is a negligent discharge waiting to happen.
    ep1953 and NewtownSam like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The Sticky or Remora or Desantis Superfly would be a good option for a IWB carry.

I don't think the Superfly would work well for IWB; it's designed for pocket carry.

I always remove the holster from my pocket when re-holstering.

One thought to share:
    With pocket carry, make sure you remove the holster from your pocket before re-holstering the gun.

Right now, I open carry some. I have applied for my CC and am waiting for it to clear. I will be carrying OWB.

nontechguy, Snub44 and ep1953 like this.

So you've never carried your 40c IWB? Try that before assuming that it won't work out.

As said above: Always carry in a holster. I pocket carry a Keltec P32 as a BUG. When reholstering I always remove the holster from the pocket first. I use a Blackhawk #1 nylon pocket holster.
    I also have a PF9, which I haven't tried to pocket carry yet, but it's one for you to consider.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Re: Pocket carry

For what its worth, I believe that ruger released an extended mag for the LC9, an extra round and a little bit more grip for those with big mitts.

Respectfully,
    Sam

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
    Take the long way home...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links