Many do not really understand the 2A. Although it's cool to say you support it!

This is a discussion on Many do not really understand the 2A. Although it's cool to say you support it! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was cleaning out my business after Obamanomics has finally killed us after 8 years. My wife daughter and one of her friends were helping. ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Many do not really understand the 2A. Although it's cool to say you support it!

I was cleaning out my business after Obamanomics has finally killed us after 8 years. My wife daughter and one of her friends were helping. My daughter is 13 and her friend is 14. Maddie, the friend told, me about making bumper stickers at her school regarding the 2A. She knows I am into guns and shooting sports. She said hers was pro 2A, a few in her class were anti 2A.

She goes to a different school than my child so I thought I’d probe a bit. So I asked her if she really understands the 2A. She said she did (of course she’s 14 and knows all like my child). So I showed her my CHL. She asked if it was my driver’s license. I said look closer. She reads carefully and her eyes got big and she said loudly, YOU CAN CARRY A GUN? I raised my shirt (we’re in my business office) and she saw my Glock 30SF. Her eyes got really big and she said you have a gun on you!!!!! I said “you’ve never seen me unarmed child. She just couldn’t believe it!

I asked her what she thought “the right to bear arms” meant. She said keeping guns in one’s home. When I asked what “BEAR ARMS” meant she had a blank look. I explained.
    I know her parents who want their CHL’s. Wait until she sees them carry!!

The point being. Our schools are not properly teaching just what our GOD GIVEN rights mean. But kid’s hear their parents talking about conservative issues and repeat what they hear.
    So explain just what the Right to Bear Arms means.

The Old Anglo and POPA like this.

I don't want to get into a rehash of some of the recent threads we have had regarding certain 2A issues.

However your right to bear arms, specifically a handgun is a fairly new "right" in Texas. Only since 1995, and only concealed with a license. Our state still prohibits any handgun carry without a permit.

So in Texas the right to bear arms is limited to long guns, and handguns with the proper CHL permit.

In other states, the right to bear arms is different, some more restrictive, some less.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Public schools don't teach "accuracy" about a great many things. And it is by design.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Public schools don't teach "accuracy" about a great many things. And it is by design.
    This is such a SAD truth.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

VIP Member
    IMO ignorance, not design. Too much stuff, too few good authoritative sources.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

And like a fly in the soup but in the interest of a accurate edumacation. In some states its a "new right" according to thats state illegal unconstitutional laws. In reality its a very old right those states had no right to interfere with. Oh well Ill get out of you alls soup now
    sdprof and d2jlking like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

So you broke cover to someone who had no clue? Not sure that is the best idea.
    mrm likes this.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Don't blame the schools.. This is where parenting comes into play. You're child will learn the basics at school. It is up to you to turn them into good, upstanding, 2A supporting adults. Too many times the blame is being placed on teachers and school districts.
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

This man exercises his right to bear arms!

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...FVXn4I4DhGgMFU

shirt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I don't want to get into a rehash of some of the recent threads we have had regarding certain 2A issues.

However your right to bear arms, specifically a handgun is a fairly new "right" in Texas. Only since 1995, and only concealed with a license. Our state still prohibits any handgun carry without a permit.

So in Texas the right to bear arms is limited to long guns, and handguns with the proper CHL permit.

In other states, the right to bear arms is different, some more restrictive, some less.

I beg to differ with you, sir. The U.S. Constitution gives use the "right" to bear arms, hence 2nd Amendment, not our individual states. The individual states merely regulate the administration of the "right to bear arms" within the confines of their respective borders and over the year and through a series of court cases, at least in Texas, handguns have been allowed back into our lives. Some states are more restrictive than others.

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is from the Declaration of Independence which was initially written "life, liberty, and estate" (see the connection). Estate means property...these forefathers were very sharp people.
    Olduser and iblearning like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    This man exercises his right to bear arms!

shirt.jpg
    My favorite is that Denny's commercial with the little girl holding her stuffed animal saying, "The right to BEAR arms?"

I'm sorta with 357and40 on this: not sure I'd do it. But you undeniably made an impression on this young lady and if she follows through, learns what she should and carries herself one day, it may just save her life.

I had a moment like that with a very old friend who didn't realize our paths had, shall we say, diverged over the last 20 years. We were on my property one night having a campfire and I told him I was carrying. He had to look 'cause he wouldn't believe me. I don't remember if it was the next day or the day after, but he left early. It wasn't the only factor but I'm sure it was part of it.

Sad but true...
    Attached Images

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post

The Right to bear Arms is an inherent and unalienable Right that all humans possess. It is not a "new" Right...the first humans on Earth possessed the Right to bear Arms. Some governments and some people throughout history have forced individuals into positions where they have been unable to freely exercise their inherent and unalienable Right to bear Arms...this does not separate the Right from the person nor does it make the Right go away as if it never existed, it merely temporarily prevents the person from being able to exercise their Right freely...A person who is entirely under the domination of this influence which prevents them from freely exercising their inherent and unalienable Right is called a slave.
    NETim, Aceoky, ccw9mm and 4 others like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I'm glad you got an opportunity to school (read: teach) a member of our future about 2A and especially happy that at her grade they're making bumper stickers and supporting 2A. \

However, I personally wouldn't of shown her my weapon because I'm sure as soon as she gets homes she'll be saying to her parents (and probably telling her friends if she's the typical female teen, who will then tell their parents and so on), "OMG!! Mom, Dad, Mr XXXXXXX, showed me his gun today and was carrying it on him around me!!!" - Now you say they're considering their permits, but what about the parents of her friends that she'll almost surely tell, who will probably almost surely tell their parents?
    Ksgunner and TJDN like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Yes the brainwashing goes deep. On many subjects, I believe it is absolutely by design. Social conformity at its ugliest.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    The Right to bear Arms is an inherent and unalienable Right that all humans possess. It is not a "new" Right...the first humans on Earth possessed the Right to bear Arms. Some governments and some people throughout history have forced individuals into positions where they have been unable to freely exercise their inherent and unalienable Right to bear Arms...this does not separate the Right from the person nor does it make the Right go away as if it never existed, it merely temporarily prevents the person from being able to exercise their Right freely...A person who is entirely under the domination of this influence which prevents them from freely exercising their inherent and unalienable Right is called a slave.
    +1 - a right can't be granted by a government.
    Ghost1958 and CharlesMorri like this.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links