Drivers' License office

This is a discussion on Drivers' License office within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know exactly which law prohibits carrying in a Tennessee Drivers' License office? I know it is illegal but I would like to find ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By blitzburgh
  • 1 Post By HemiCoupl

Thread: Drivers' License office

Question Drivers' License office

Does anyone know exactly which law prohibits carrying in a Tennessee Drivers' License office? I know it is illegal but I would like to find and read the actual code and I have not been able to locate it as of yet.

2. Remove Ads

Drivers License Office.. interesting name.. I usually refer to it as "hell on earth".
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Look at the LexisNexis link I posted for you, yesterday.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

39-17-1311. Carrying Weapons on Public Parks, Playgrounds, Civic Centers and Other Public
    Recreational Buildings and Grounds.
    (a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go
    armed, any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned
    ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building
    facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or
    instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

Attorney general opinion 04-020

1. The State of Tennessee is granted the authority to regulate the possession of handguns
    on publicly owned property by handgun permit holders under Article I, §26 of the Tennessee
    Constitution. Local governments are prohibited from regulating in the area of firearms under the
    Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1314 but may prohibit possession of firearms on property owned by the
    local government.
    2. The General Assembly’s authority to enact legislation prohibiting the possession of
    long arms on publicly owned property is limited by the language of Article I, § 26 of the Tennessee
    Constitution. Local governments are prohibited from regulating in the area of firearms under the
    Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1314, but may prohibit possession of firearms on property owned by the
    local government.

moreover it doesnt really matter because signs carry the weight of law I got you figured out so here is the statute 39-17-1359. Prohibition at Certain Meetings — Posting Notice. —
    (a) (1) An individual, corporation, business entity or local, state or federal government entity or agent
    thereof is authorized to prohibit the possession of weapons by any person who is at a meeting conducted by,
    or on property owned, operated, or managed or under the control of the individual, corporation, business
    entity or government entity.
    (2) The prohibition in subdivision (a)(1) shall apply to any person who is authorized to carry a firearm by
    authority of § 39-17-1351
    (b) (1) Notice of the prohibition permitted by subsection (a) shall be accomplished by displaying one (1) or
    both of the notices described in subdivision (b)(3) in prominent locations, including all entrances primarily
    used by persons entering the property, building, or portion of the property or building where weapon
    possession is prohibited. Either form of notice used shall be of a size that is plainly visible to the average
    person entering the building, property, or portion of the building or property, posted.
    (2) The notice required by this section shall be in English, but a duplicate notice may also be posted in
    any language used by patrons, customers or persons who frequent the place where weapon possession is
    prohibited.
    (3) (A) If a sign is used as the method of posting, it shall contain language substantially similar to the
    following:
    AS AUTHORIZED BY T.C.A. § 39-17-1359, POSSESSION OF A WEAPON ON POSTED PROPERTY
    OR IN A POSTED BUILDING IS PROHIBITED AND IS A CRIMINAL OFFENSE.

I AM NOT A LAWYER
    Last edited by HemiCoupl; February 19th, 2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: added disclaimer

But don't forget 39-17-1311 says:

"(b) (1) The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to the following persons:

(H) Persons possessing a handgun, who are authorized to carry the handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof, except as otherwise provided in subsection (d);

But anyway so the Drivers Licenses office is prohibited because they *can* prohibit it. But is there a law on the books somewhere prohibiting them across the board or is it just that they are posted?

Quote Originally Posted by HemiCoupl View Post
    moreover it doesnt really matter because signs carry the weight of law
    True. Was just curious if there was a law somewhere that prohibited it explicitly at all Drivers' License office. If there isn't, one would have to wonder if there is a Drivers' License office somewhere out there that isn't posted, for whatever reason (like maybe they forgot to post, lol.)

I have searched and haven't found anything that names drivers license centers explicitly I'm still looking though, I did post the memphis code you were asking about on your other thread but here it is:

Sec. 10-32-2. - Weapons—Carrying.

A.
    Any person who shall carry in any manner whatever, with the intent to go armed, any razor; dirk; bowie knife or other knife of like form, shape or size; pocket knife with any blade over four inches in length; sword cane; ice pick; slingshot; blackjack, brass knuckles; Spanish stiletto; or any rifle or shotgun or any pistol or revolver of any kind whatever; or a fountain pen pistol or gun, or like instrument containing a firing pin capable of shooting tear gas or pistol cartridges; or any other dangerous weapon, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor. It shall be the intent of the city government to exercise its statutory option to opt out of any state law that would otherwise authorize the carrying of firearms on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Can state law be anymore confusing?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It's almost like they don't want you to understand huh?
    perfection likes this.

Links