357 vs 38+p

This is a discussion on 357 vs 38+p within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Want to buy a S&W Airweight for carry. 357 vs. 38+P - need suggestions?????...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 357 vs 38+p

357 vs 38+p

Want to buy a S&W Airweight for carry. 357 vs. 38+P - need suggestions?????

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    You really don't need to start multiple threads asking the exact same question. Pick the most appropriate spot and ask it once.
    atctimmy likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

get the 357 and shoot 38+p.......
    srings likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    You really don't need to start multiple threads asking the exact same question. Pick the most appropriate spot and ask it once.
    TX Your avatar never seemed more appropriate! Give the poor new guy a break!

OP - Personally I would go with the .357. It's a more versatile gun. You can shoot .38+P out of a .357 but not vice versa. The .357 will be a little heavier but at least to me the weight difference is negligible for carry and the little bit of extra weight may even make the .38+P more pleasant to shoot.
    TX expat and mcp1810 like this.

Depends on size and weight and how it works out for you.
    357 shoots both good deal, 38's in a 357 frame shoot smooth. I carry a 38 often and don't mess with +P just not necessary. But I will not fault your chosen round your call.
    As for the 357 I have taken a few deer with a 357. One at 75 yards (lucky shot) But it killed the deer quickly even at that range. Not sure I would want to carry my 357 loaded with 357 rounds. That is my call .
    A nice light small shielded hammer 38 is easy to carry and effective.
    S&W BodyGuard 38 +P May not be the best 38 but a darn good one.
    38 BodyGuard.JPG

I am a snubbie lover an have a Sp101 2.4 38/357 you will love it also have a S&W mod 60 had it ported at Gemini an their wood grips it handles 357 like a dream

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrow75 View Post
    TX Your avatar never seemed more appropriate! Give the poor new guy a break!

OP - Personally I would go with the .357. It's a more versatile gun. You can shoot .38+P out of a .357 but not vice versa. The .357 will be a little heavier but at least to me the weight difference is negligible for carry and the little bit of extra weight may even make the .38+P more pleasant to shoot.
    LOL. Hey, I was nice! Ok, maybe I wasn't nice, but I didn't make him drop and give me 100 pushups!
    Darrow75 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

LOL. Hey, I was nice! Ok, maybe I wasn't nice, but I didn't make him drop and give me 100 pushups!
    Hahaha! Just busting your chops. As long as you don't start calling people "disgusting fat bodies" and asking "what is your major malfunction Pyle?" You're good.
    TX expat likes this.

Hahaha! Just busting your chops. As long as you don't start calling people "disgusting fat bodies" and asking "what is your major malfunction Pyle?" You're good.

Distinguished Member
    .357 out of an Airweight is not fun to shoot. I realize it not a range gun, but you still need to practice with what you carry. Go with the .38.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

...it's not fun...but if you have a .38 and all the ammo someone can spare you is .357...yer scwewed...buy the .357 and shoot .38 in it...my SP101'll never see a round of .357...unless that's all I can find...options may become very important...
    Quote Originally Posted by oldnfat View Post
    .357 out of an Airweight is not fun to shoot. I realize it not a range gun, but you still need to practice with what you carry. Go with the .38.

VIP Member
    For carry - I would go with the .38. Even a .38+P in an airweight is manageable, and you'll be glad to not carry the extra weight. I have the 642 that I carry often and I can shoot 100 rounds of +P without any problem. I also have a 640 and a model 60, which are all steel and about 8 oz heaver than the airweight, and shooting .357's out of those is NOT enjoyable unless you are a deviant freak. Those guns too only get a diet of .38's.

VIP Member
    Given the choice between the 2 I'd go with the .357 due to the versatility. With the .357 you can shoot .357 or .38 Special. With the .38 Special your limited to that caliber.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I know they are not the same as you are looking at but I have both the LCR 38 and the LCR 357 and I can tell you that I like them both, but the 357 is my favorite by far.
    With the few extra ounces of weight it just handles so much better. When shooting 38+P's out of both the 38 is way more snappy than the 357.
    As far as CC, I can not feel the extra few ounces of weight at all.

The SP-101 3" in 357 is not bad to shoot 357"s I like the 180gr. Rem. accurate and fun.

Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links