What is the rule for parking lots in Tennessee?

This is a discussion on What is the rule for parking lots in Tennessee? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I know for a school parking lot TCA 39-17-1309 applies and you can keep it in your vehicle only as long as you don't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What is the rule for parking lots in Tennessee?

Lightbulb What is the rule for parking lots in Tennessee?

So I know for a school parking lot TCA 39-17-1309 applies and you can keep it in your vehicle only as long as you don't handle it....But what about other posted locations like businesses, local parks which are posted, airports and federal courthouses? Can the handgun stay in your vehicle? Are there any locations in Tennessee where you absolutely cannot even drive into the parking lot at all, etc.?

2. Remove Ads

:bumparoo:

My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

+1 paaiyan and join the Tennessee Gun Owners (TGO) forum for more specific info relating to Tennessee.

My understanding: Federal property is a no-no under any circumstances--building, property, parking lots. The only exception is national parks but buildings with federal employees are still off limits in the park. State Parks are ok for HCP holders as they were allowed to keep existing signs (money saver?). Signs in TN have the weight of law. If the entrances to the parking lot are posted then the lot is a no-no. Posted private, state or local property such as a business, airportr, etc are a no-no. As to schools, read the law carefully. A HCP only allows you to have a weapon in the car as you are dropping off or picking up someone. You may not legally lesve it in the vehicle on any school property. And yes, you can not display it, handle it, etc.
    All of the above only applies if you have a Handgun Carry Permit (HCP). TYour HCP is the only defense in this state to the crime of "going about armed" Hope this helps.
    GhostMaker likes this.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was youner

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    As to schools, read the law carefully. A HCP only allows you to have a weapon in the car as you are dropping off or picking up someone. You may not legally lesve it in the vehicle on any school property. And yes, you can not display it, handle it, etc.
    Not true, my friend. Here is the appropriate excerpt from TCA 39-17-1309:

"It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property."

It says nothing of whether you are dropping someone off or not.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Another good question, and I'm glad to see that you are concerned with doing things right and operating within the law. You will be a good ambassador for the gun community. Again, Tennessee State law. You can't afford to get this kind of information from a public forum. Your azz hangs in the balance.
    perfection likes this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

perfection, the intent of the amendment to the original law was to allow adults with an HCP to drop off and pick up students while in possession of a handgun. Prior to that amendment you could not have your weapon on school property under any circumstances. That meant people dropping off their kids as they went to work were in effect denied the priveledge that a HCP gave them. It is my understanding that the Attoreney General has issued a ruling that the legislature's intent is to be followeed.You still can't legally leave it in your parked vehicle on school property, public or private no matter the grade level. BUT I am not an attorney nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    Hopefully the "parking lot" bill (weak as it is) winding its way through the legislature will change the law so you can leave it in your locked car if you have a HCP. That said, employers are now going to be allowed to prohibit guns on their property, so a school board might do it also.
    Welcome to the "carry club"
    GhostMaker likes this.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was youner

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    perfection, the intent of the amendment to the original law was to allow adults with an HCP to drop off and pick up students while in possession of a handgun. Prior to that amendment you could not have your weapon on school property under any circumstances. That meant people dropping off their kids as they went to work were in effect denied the priveledge that a HCP gave them. It is my understanding that the Attoreney General has issued a ruling that the legislature's intent is to be followeed.You still can't legally leave it in your parked vehicle on school property, public or private no matter the grade level.
    Hmmm...I suppose that maybe if you interpret "if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult" to mean that they have to be actively operating the vehicle, then you could have a case for saying that they can't leave the vehicle. But Attorney General Opinion No. 09-129 does not use stronger or clearer language than TCA 39-17-1309 and does not say anything notable in regards to dropping off/picking up students.

Oh, just saw that you PMed me, RoadKill...Reading now...

Okay, so maybe TCA 39-17-1310 is the answer here...

"(4) A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove, utilize or allow to be removed or utilized any weapon from the vehicle."

Here is a very interesting Attorney General Opinion on this subject (the pending bill) that just came out 3 days ago which I just found. But I'm getting too sleepy to read and comprehend...maybe tomorrow...

I think the bill comes up for House vote on Thursday. Here's the Senate version as it now stands.

Bill Summary

It will be interesting to see what the governor does.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Am I correct that it passed and was signed into law?

TN SB0142 | 2013-2014 | 108th General Assembly | LegiScan

Yeah, doesn't it go into effect July 1?

I was not sure but was curious when it is effective thanks for posting that which says :

Haslam signed the bill, which goes into effect July 1,
    GREAT news for anyone living working or traveling in TN where their permits are recognized IMO!!

I'm not "as happy" that it appears you may still lose your job IF your employer doesn't allow guns but it's far better than it used to be IMO

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links