Daddy, what's that under your shirt?

This is a discussion on Daddy, what's that under your shirt? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you ever have times where your kids go to hug you or climb on your lap and unintentionally brush against the gun? I had ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Daddy, what's that under your shirt?

Exclamation Daddy, what's that under your shirt?

Do you ever have times where your kids go to hug you or climb on your lap and unintentionally brush against the gun? I had a similar situation recently. How do you all handle this? If they aren't allowed to touch your gun then what's the rule for touching it while it's concealed, etc.? How do you explain these things to your kids?

My son (4) knows that I almost always carry and doesn't ask me anymore if it's my gun when he accidently bumps it or something. I explained to him early on that I carry it to protect us from monsters and bad guys because the police might be very busy and wouldn't be able to come help us very quickly if we needed them. So far he hasn't had a single incident of "monster in my closet" because he knows the monsters are scared of daddys gun.

My kids saw the pistol from day one. It was never hidden from them. Hell, they were surprised to discover not every dad wore a gun.
    Not making it public was discussed from the first time they every inquired of it. Never an issue.

dan

Depending on age, I say be upfront and honest. When I started to carry I had a teenager and a 10 y/o. The teen, she didn't care one way or another, the 10y/o, she asked why. I asked her why do cops carry guns? She said to shoot bad guys, I said well there ya go. The teen is gone now but the younger one is still around, she has went turkey hunting a few times so guns aren't a big mystery to her. It just really depends on the kid. I assume in your post you are asking what the rules for touching you, not the gun, whike concealed. There are no rules, if you have a good holster set up, it not like a kid climbing on your lap will make the gun go bang, so it shouldn't be a problem.

By the time my young'uns were 5 or 6 years it had become no big deal to them. Now, I dunno the ages of yours, but you can't hide it from 'em. Don't make it a 'taboo' subject or something 'scary'..... just reinforce the importance of 'keeping it quiet' and it's for family to know, nobody else.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have two 5 year olds and they have been used to it their whole lives. They do bump into it from time to time, but I carry in a good IWB holster so I'm not worried about that. They know what to do if my wife or I give them the code word to get to cover, and my little girl was also surprised that all dads and moms don't carry. The only "issue" I have had relates to the rule that they can see and touch any gun in the safe if they ask. My girl would ask to get out of being in trouble. She would ask if she was in Time Out since the rule was "any time you ask to see one" Had to ammend that rule for good kids and bad kids. It also gets annoying when you try to herd two kids to go somewhere and while we're trying to get dressed, dress kids, etc one wan't to see my carry gun... I haven't been on time in 4 and a half years. Both kids were told not to discuss gun related stuff at school or mention the carry guns in public and it hasn' t been an issue.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I carry at home and that seemed to give my older daughter a chance to get used to the idea and get the "Daddy, what's under your shirt" moments out of her system. I explained to her that many people are afraid of guns (like some people are afraid or spiders, or dogs) so when we're out in public, she shouldn't mention it. She has long known the Eddie Eagle rules. I'm going to try to keep it quiet with the 2 year old for now and hope she doesn't ask too many questions before she learns to keep a secret but I'm not gonna sweat it. Just teach them the way you'd normally teach them important rules and it'll be fine.

Regarding safety, I'm already showing the older one how I clear the gun (mag out FIRST and then clear the chamber, leave the slide locked back) and have borrowed a phrase from some Canadian gun handling rules: "Prove it safe." I let her handle it after I've cleared it so she gets the curiousity out of her system. Keeping it away totally would be like not allowing her to ride in the car until she's 18 or something silly like that. But just as I wouldn't let her drive the car yet, I wouldn't let her handle a loaded gun except her airsoft which she handles quite well.

Good luck and best wishes!
    (although, as we all know, luck really has nothing to do with it)
    Maverick20 and Broadus like this.

I think thats the big ticket.. and the thing that has lead to so much hoplophobia....you cant make guns and firearms in general a taboo subject. It used to be expected that most men, and many women carried guns.. guns used to hang on the mantle, or be on display.. WAAAY back they were essential to survival and every kid knew this and knew how to use one.. more recently, such as the 50s, 60s guns were part of the cowboy culture that every kid wanted to be a part of.. i remember growing up in the 80s and playing cops and robbers or "army guy" was all ok.. and all through this history.. rarely ever did people go nuts about it or literally go nuts and kill 30 or 40 people... (not counting the organized crime at the turn of the century).

Depending on the childs age, I think a direct and honest explanation is best. dont hide it from them, dont make it taboo or a forbidden subject. Its best to talk to your children respectfully and intelligently.. explain why you carry a gun, what it is to be used for and instill in them knowledge and understanding about it.. those two things, knowledge and understanding will defeat any fear they may have about such a powerful thing as a gun.

It is also important to stress to them that it isnt something that everybody needs to know about, and not to mention it in public (have to balance this somehow without making it that taboo subject).

All of these are terrific responses.
    Maverick20 and Aceoky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    I explained to her that many people are afraid of guns (like some people are afraid or spiders, or dogs) so when we're out in public, she shouldn't mention it.
    I like. Good idea for how to say it...

Wow, this is the best set of question and answers for a common carry problem I've seen in a long time. This is a great forum, while my kids are grown I expect there will be grand kids before long and these are all great ways to broach the subject.
    twhditto likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

GH
    My 27 year old son will make a point of giving me the once-over & a quick pat down & chew me out if he doesn't feel my gun, lol. He's a cop, lol. My 13 year old grandson makes no comment when he sees me putting the gun on, adjusting it or bumps against it. He lives with us & is quite used to it being there at most times. He knows I can't take it with us when I take him to school. Against the law in WI. My oldest grown daughter is all for it & my youngest grown daughter makes no comment. She also lives with us & is quite used to it. The girls want to get their CCL soon.

I'm sure we're talking about young children, though, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I agree with the comments above. This is another one of those cases where the more they are exposed to guns, proper handling of them, and what is and is not appropriate to discuss in public, the better this world will be.

My kids know I carry to protect the family. Most of the time I think they only hug me to see if have it on. They have been told that we dont' talk about it in public and not to tell anyone about it either. As they get older I will talk to them about what to do when in a public place and I have to draw my weapon or a shooter situation happens. All part of their SA and raising them to know how to protect themselves.

I have a daughter that will be turning 6 in March and a son that turned 1 last November. My wife and I have been deciding how to approach my carrying with our daughter. Thanks to the OP for starting this thread and to everyone for the fantastic responses. Lots of great answers for when we have the talk with my daughter this weekend! That's why I am so glad I found this forum. :)
    Maverick20 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links