CPL holders storage of a loaded handgun in your vehicle

This is a discussion on CPL holders storage of a loaded handgun in your vehicle within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all, My wife and I are both Michigan CPL holders are planning a two week automobile vacation in early April. Michigan is becoming less ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: CPL holders storage of a loaded handgun in your vehicle

Hello all, My wife and I are both Michigan CPL holders are planning a two week automobile vacation in early April. Michigan is becoming less friendly to retirees on a daily basis so we have decided to move to one of more retiree friendly states once she retires in 5 years and thus the upcoming trek in order to find a desirable location to retire.

Our trip will take us through Indiana, Kentucky, Tenessee, Missippi, Alabama, Georga, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Virginia, W. Virginia, Ohio, and back to Michigan. We are leaning towards considering southern Tennessee or its bordering states but still haven't ruled out Kentucky as of yet. We are just getting tired of the snow.

I have been attempting to research whether any of these states have laws that PROHIBIT a CPL holder from storing their loaded handgun in the console or glove box of your locked vehicle when going into any establishment that may prohibit weapons as well as whether the parking lots of pistol free zones are also considered pistol free zones.

Michigan does not consider the parking lot as part of a pistol free zone and it does not have any laws against a CPL holder from leaving their loaded handgun in their locked vehicle when going into one of these establishments.

While many of these states do have laws pertaining to "employees" none seem to specifically cover "guests/customers". Nor do they cover this issue with regards to public parking lots or public parking lots at PISTOL FREE ZONE establishments.

Several sites are quite informative on the non CPL holder firearm transport in a vehicle and on the CPL holder right to concealed carry while in a vehicle but I have yet to find one that covers these issues and thus the need for your help.

Who knows, with your help, maybe this thread will turn into a sticky note for others to also use. Although I am seeking information on specific states, feel free to provide me with information on the state you live in in case others are seeking similar information.

Thanks, Sherman

2. Remove Ads

#1) Welcome to the forum!

#2) Go to Handgunlaw.us you will find a ton of useful information there.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    #1) Welcome to the forum!

#2) Go to Handgunlaw.us you will find a ton of useful information there.
    been there, done that, thus the reason for the post. they cover non CPL storage in a vehicle, and state laws, trouble is they do not cover the topics I am requesting information on. Michigan has a real good site for responsible gun owners, check it out
    MCRGO - Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners

been there, done that, the reason for the post is that site and others DO NOT provide the answers to the questions I asked.

Your from Georgia, what are the Georgia laws pertaining to my questions.... The answers were not covered on the site you mentioned, neither were they covered on any State of Georgia sites

BTW if anyone is interested in Michigan gun laws. check out this site MCRGO - Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners Its the largest state based firearms advocate and IMHO the best in the nation.

Distinguished Member
    Right now in SC, an owner of private property can post their property to not allow firearms in your car in their parking lot. The sign has to meet very explicit and strict requirements to have the force of law. In fours years of carrying, I have never come accross any place that was properly or imporperly posted to prohibit you from have a firearm stored in your car. I have seen postings for the actual buildings, but never for the land. There is a bill in the legislature that would prohibit employers from banning firearms in their parking lots, but as of yet it is not law.
    Last edited by phreddy; February 20th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Hello all, My wife and I are both Michigan CPL holders are planning a two week automobile vacation in early April. Michigan is becoming less friendly to retirees on a daily basis so we have decided to move to one of more retiree friendly states once she retires in 5 years and thus the upcoming trek in order to find a desirable location to retire.

Our trip will take us through Indiana, Kentucky, Tenessee, Missippi, Alabama, Georga, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Virginia, W. Virginia, Ohio, and back to Michigan. We are leaning towards considering southern Tennessee or its bordering states but still haven't ruled out Kentucky as of yet. We are just getting tired of the snow.

I have been attempting to research whether any of these states have laws that PROHIBIT a CPL holder from storing their loaded handgun in the console or glove box of your locked vehicle when going into any establishment that may prohibit weapons as well as whether the parking lots of pistol free zones are also considered pistol free zones.

Michigan does not consider the parking lot as part of a pistol free zone and it does not have any laws against a CPL holder from leaving their loaded handgun in their locked vehicle when going into one of these establishments.

While many of these states do have laws pertaining to "employees" none seem to specifically cover "guests/customers". Nor do they cover this issue with regards to public parking lots or public parking lots at PISTOL FREE ZONE establishments.

Several sites are quite informative on the non CPL holder firearm transport in a vehicle and on the CPL holder right to concealed carry while in a vehicle but I have yet to find one that covers these issues and thus the need for your help.

Who knows, with your help, maybe this thread will turn into a sticky note for others to also use. Although I am seeking information on specific states, feel free to provide me with information on the state you live in in case others are seeking similar information.

Thanks, Sherman
    This site should answer most of your questions. I use the maps when taking a trip to verify which states acknowledge my Michigan CPL. Alot of great information. There is a big difference in SHALL ISSUE and MAY ISSUE. Hope it helps

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Try either:
    Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news
    or
    Welcome to GeorgiaPacking.org

Georgia has reciprocity with MI, so carry in your vehicle should be no problem. In addition, in Georgia "No Guns" signs do not carry the force of law, so if you avoid the places listed in the law as places you are not allowed to carry, you should be okay. Of course IANAL, so what I say means nothing.

If you want specific answers, then your best bet may be to contact the Attorney General's offices in the states you intend to visit.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    If something is not noted in law as being illegal then it is legal. If there is no law in your state stating it is illegal then the private owner would have to post it. Some states have passed Parking lot storage laws for public and private parking lots open to the public and that firearm storage is legal and can't be stopped by the owners.

The vast majority of Laws are passed to tell you that you can't do something. If the law is silent on an issue then it is legal.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

whether any of these states have laws that PROHIBIT a CPL holder from storing their loaded handgun in the console or glove box of your locked vehicle
    This IS ALLOWED in KY whether you have a CCW permit or not KY is 2nd friendly with open carry legal as well, and State Law rules, cities etc. cannot make up laws more restrictive .
    Paco23 likes this.

GH
    Don't take a side trip to or through Illinois! I'm not even sure if you field-stripped a firearm down to its smallest component that they'd still find something wrong. Hopefully for the citizens of that state this will all change in the near future.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by gh View Post
    don't take a side trip to or through illinois! I'm not even sure if you field-stripped a firearm down to its smallest component that they'd still find something wrong. Hopefully for the citizens of that state this will all change in the near future.
    no doubt!

In AL signs do not carry the weight of law thus while you can be asked to leave it only pertains to the building proper. Also note that as if now a CPP is required to have a weapon in your vehicle but no permit required to OC on foot.

Posted from the outer reaches of the universe via my Star Fleet communicator! Live long & prosper.

Welcome from Northern Michigan.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    KY is very gun friendly, I rarely encounter gun buster signs and they do not carry the weight of law. I have never had a problem with LEO's even when I OC.
    Paco23 likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links