CC While Running

This is a discussion on CC While Running within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to start doing morning runs in an effort to get ready for BMT (still a few months off). I am wondering what ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 2 Post By SLS075
  • 1 Post By gun_bushido
  • 1 Post By livewire

Thread: CC While Running

CC While Running

I am going to start doing morning runs in an effort to get ready for BMT (still a few months off). I am wondering what would be the best way to secure a holster to my side when I'm usually going to be wearing some form of sweatpants as those does offer the greatest support for weight.

Right now I'm using a N82 Original Tuckable, and would prefer to be able to continue using that if possible. Would it be plausible to continue waist carry while running, or would an ankle holster be the best option here?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I work out almost every day - running and lifting, and I carry my Glock 30 SF in a belly band behind my hip, around 4 pm. For additional security, I wear a belt over the belly band and then wear my sweatpants over the whole rig with the grip outside the sweatpants and covered by my t-shirt. I tried using my Remora but found that it wasn't as secure or as stationary as I'd like.
    TurboTurtle likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Fanny pack best bet I know it's not attractive or any thing but you 'll have your gun and won't be uncomfortable
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

I've never carried while running, but was an avid runner (marathons, the whole bit) before an injury. Speaking only as a runner, I think ankle carry would be a bad idea for a lot of reasons.

Depending on the weight of the firearm, theoretically you would want it as close to the vertical mid-line of your body as possible (12 o'clock or 6 o'clock). And then the only factor is the bounce and how annoying it is to you.

Anything carried while running is going to bounce around some, unless it's in your hand.

Fanny pack type items can work, but they can vary as to how much the bottom of it flops against you with every stride. Most of those style packs have the belt at the top and the bottom flops loose. When that's the case, the bottom is going to bounce off you every stride. Thump thump thump thump...

I've (in the past) tried running with all sorts of different fanny packs/carriers for mp3 players, phones, water bottles, etc. and I found that my tolerance for practically anything bouncing against me is low. My runs could get really long though - 20 milers for 3+ hours at times. 30 minute runs are a little different of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatguyjeff View Post
    I've never carried while running, but was an avid runner (marathons, the whole bit) before an injury. Speaking only as a runner, I think ankle carry would be a bad idea for a lot of reasons.

Depending on the weight of the firearm, theoretically you would want it as close to the vertical mid-line of your body as possible (12 o'clock or 6 o'clock). And then the only factor is the bounce and how annoying it is to you.

Anything carried while running is going to bounce around some, unless it's in your hand.

Fanny pack type items can work, but they can vary as to how much the bottom of it flops against you with every stride. Most of those style packs have the belt at the top and the bottom flops loose. When that's the case, the bottom is going to bounce off you every stride. Thump thump thump thump...

I've (in the past) tried running with all sorts of different fanny packs/carriers for mp3 players, phones, water bottles, etc. and I found that my tolerance for practically anything bouncing against me is low. My runs could get really long though - 20 milers for 3+ hours at times. 30 minute runs are a little different of course.
    Same here. My shortest runs are over an hour. I never felt the need to carry while running anyway. But if you do I would also not use an ankle holster. It will change your natural gait and possibly start causing unwanted joint problems.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I've considered this quite a bit. I run 6 miles, 4 days a week. My runs are just under an hour. Seems like a belly band is the most comfortable option. I would never even consider an ankle holster. I think that would just be asking for problems.
    Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously, don't even think about it.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I remember when I could run. Ah, the good old days.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

+1 on the pistol wear holster.

i have one for a full size, and the trump card for a smaller gun
    tmoore912 likes this.

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters

I know they advertise for wear with jeans, but I've found that the only time I like the idea at all is when working out. At the gym, it is easy to carry without getting in the way of any of the ways I contort and move under stress, and when running (treadmill or surface), it bounces a bit, but not enough to bother me.

Any other time, it's 3:00 or 4:00 carry with a OWB or a Mtac IWB.

Their website is terrible... but the product is good. I carry an XD40 compact and a spare full size mag in mine. Totally comfortable, and almost undetectable with lightweight gym shorts or workout pants and a tshirt.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Interesting post. I workout at a gym so I don't ever feel the need to carry on me. I get way to sweaty to carry anyway. I'm typically drenched head it toe and with my clothing sticking to me like it does at that point I don't think it would work out very well. So the idea of fany pack comes to mind. Have you looked into those?

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Interesting post. I workout at a gym so I don't ever feel the need to carry on me. I get way to sweaty to carry anyway. I'm typically drenched head it toe and with my clothing sticking to me like it does at that point I don't think it would work out very well. So the idea of fany pack comes to mind. Have you looked into those?
    I never felt the need to carry *in* the gym, but since I work out at night (well... worked out), I would typically be walking out into a dark parking lot with my girl while I was weak and tired after having beat myself to death. And sometimes we would walk there. I got sweaty, but the smartcarry never let any through to the gun. And I wore longish tshirts untucked with a couple different pairs of gym shorts, none of them every really showed much. And I would carry in the gym anyway, since I never trusted those crappy lockers...
    tmoore912 likes this.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTurtle View Post
    I am going to start doing morning runs in an effort to get ready for BMT
    Mmmm.. bacon mayonnaise and tomato.. sounds like a great sammich! As for the running part, Gawd that sounds like.... exercise! Going to pass on that one :)
    We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

Alabama Constitution of 1901 - That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhamrichard View Post
    Mmmm.. bacon mayonnaise and tomato.. sounds like a great sammich! As for the running part, Gawd that sounds like.... exercise! Going to pass on that one :)

ewww... that sounds like a horrible waste of good bacon.

-- John F. Kennedy

Links