Colorado Proves No Where Is "Safe"

This is a discussion on Colorado Proves No Where Is "Safe" within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that it looks like there will be dramatic changes in gun laws in the state of Colorado, I have come to but one opinion.... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Colorado Proves No Where Is "Safe"

Colorado Proves No Where Is "Safe"

Now that it looks like there will be dramatic changes in gun laws in the state of Colorado, I have come to but one opinion.... No one is safe from anti-gun legislature. Not even Texas! We must be vigilant on who is being elected on state and local legislatures. We must make sure that we support and vote for "gun friendly" politicians. We can no longer put our collective head in the sand and think that "our" state is safe from those mean ole nasty "anti-gun" politicians. Colorado proves it...Missourri is just a few more anti-gunners away from joining it.
    I am here in Connecticut...where we are about to loose most of our gun rights... believe me, I am not looking forward to it.......
    Please share your thoughts....
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have been saying the same for years and the ones that become county commissoners or any office that takes votes is where we need to do work because these gain power and there brains seem to shrink.
    ep1953 likes this.

90% of Colorado is not in the anti camp but just like NY or IL, the largest populated cities are. I hate it.

Not only are our politicians anti, but as the world is finding out, those like Salazar are complete idiots too. I would venture a guess that he doesn't converse with the members of the opposite sex. What a piece of work.
    Train like your life depends on it, because it does.

NRA Life Member

I'm hoping that Denver county is the only one that takes this legislation seriously.
    The problem with gun control is that drugs are already illegal.

NY is taking the lead that needs to be taken IMO, their BS will be shot down at the Fed court level and probably SCOTUS won't even hear any appeal of it as they have already ruled in McDonald and Heller what they have passed is in no way constitutional on its face. Once this happens , the others should realize the waste of time and resources this BS is

The lower courts being bound by those rulings don't have any leeway in that at all.

I am appalled at how far left our Colorado General Assembly has become. We have had times where the balance of power shifted between parties but until now, it has never been so badly skewed to the extreme left of the political spectrum.

I first noticed a lessening of vigor in the Republican side about the end of 2005. Sure enough, we elected a way left Governor (Ritter) and the state house and the state senate followed shortly after. I was really bothered by the Dems winning in 2010 so they could cement their victories by redrawing the boundaries for house seats as well as for the senate seats.

As a result of that redrawing of boundaries, Republicans are at a noticeable disadvantage at least until 2020; if Republicans do not hold the majorities at that point, then the Dems will get yet another opportunity to stack the deck even better than before for electoral advantage.

When I survey the damage/wreckage that the far left dems have wreaked upon Colorado, it seems like we conservatives have a long climb up before we can get close to gaining a majority again. If you have a state that is "comfortably conservative" whatever you do, DO NOT take for granted that it will always be that way! Get involved and do whatever you can to make a difference before it is too late!!
    Last edited by .45acpguy; February 20th, 2013 at 07:38 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    wmhawth and lnferno like this.

So I need to find a red state with no big cities full of welfare suckers! hmmmm
    sixgun and StevePVB like this.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Alaska
    moonraker likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    NY is taking the lead that needs to be taken IMO, their BS will be shot down at the Fed court level and probably SCOTUS won't even hear any appeal of it as they have already ruled in McDonald and Heller what they have passed is in no way constitutional on its face. Once this happens , the others should realize the waste of time and resources this BS is

The lower courts being bound by those rulings don't have any leeway in that at all.
    Why hasn't it already been shot down?

When will it be?
    Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously, don't even think about it.

First it has to become law, to be shot down as unconstitutional law.

Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    So I need to find a red state with no big cities full of welfare suckers! hmmmm
    Unfortunately....... Come to KY. We like guns!
    darbo likes this.

I AM not giving up. Still a long way to go.

Salazar's stupid "War on Women" comments suddenly have a bunch of Dems going "hands off", the Gov might be backing off, and the Senate is foolhardy to allow these to come up for a vote. Here's a response from a Rep I wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thank you for writing to me about firearms legislation. This week I received over 4,000 emails about the bills introduced February 8. While I would like to write each of you individually, the mere volume of emails I received (and am still receiving!) prevents me from doing this. But please know that I have read your concerns, and I am excited to see so many of you involved in the political process.

Most of you wrote to me in opposition to the universal background check for firearms transfers and the limit on ammunition magazine size. Some of you that receive this email wrote in favor of these bills, but the vast majority did not support these pieces of legislation. Either way, let me explain how I feel about these bills, and why I voted NO against all of them.

I believe that one of the government’s few jobs is to provide safety for all its citizens. This is why we have the police force, fire department, and men and women of our armed forces. Protecting innocent human lives is important. As a former law enforcement official, I experienced first hand the danger that guns can present when in the wrong hands. Criminals have used guns against me, and solely by the grace of God am I here to help craft laws to increase our safety. Guns in the hands of those who wish to do evil can have disastrous consequences on our society, but they also provide safety to those who need to defend themselves when law enforcement cannot help. In all too many situations, the police department cannot get to the scene of a crime before it is tragically too late. Because of this, I believe the government should ensure that citizens have an simple process to acquire weapons for self-protection. Our Nation's Founding Fathers understood this. They knew we have a fundamental need to protect ourselves from two groups — the first group is evil-doers who wish to harm our families. The second group is, in fact, an out of control tyrannical government, just like the one our Founder's fought so valiantly against to give us all freedom and liberty.

House Bill 13-1229, which would require universal background checks on firearms transfers, severely extends the amount of time a person can purchase a gun privately. Now, I understand the opposition’s argument. A criminal can purchase a gun from a law-abiding citizen and commit more crimes. The opposition claims that a universal background check would prevent this. I disagree. Criminals will still avoid the law (by nature of being a criminal) and get access to firearms without a background check. While the drafters of this bill may have good intentions, I think this bill will ultimately harm law abiding citizens and make purchasing a gun for protection more onerous.

House Bill 13-1224 would limit the size of ammunition magazines. I also voted “NO” on this bill. While, again, I believe the sponsors of this bill had good intentions to protect the safety of our citizens, this legislation is misguided at best. Banning large capacity magazines will actually not increase public safety. In fact, it will make us all LESS safe. A practiced criminal can unload a magazine and load a new one in a matter of seconds. For a trained criminal, this bill will not slow the rate of shooting or decrease the devastation caused, but this legislation will make people less able to protect themselves against intruders and assailants against themselves and their families and loved ones - and that is wrong.

The recent tragic shootings are cause for intense concern, no doubt. But rather than legislating to slow the purchase of guns, I believe that allowing our citizens to easily obtain guns for self-protection and the protection of our most valuable asset — our children — is a much better idea. It is also an idea that our Founding Fathers would adhere to as they indicated in the Second Amendment, rights which have recently been upheld and sustained by our United States Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller. I swore an oath to protect and defend our US Constitution and our Colorado Constitution. If I voted any other way but NO on these gun control bills, I would be violating that oath.

For those of you that wrote to me in favor of these bills, I appreciate your input. However, I believe these bills do more harm than good. The public safety of our State and Nation is a discussion we must continue to have and a topic we must act on with certainty. Our action should be focused on the evil-doers, not on just one of the tools they choose to use against us. I hope to continue to offer solutions in the form of better mental health care standards in our state, stricter penalties for violent criminals and better law enforcement response times and stationing in our schools.

Thank you again for writing me. If I can be of any assistance in the future, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Jared
    The Gallery's were packed with gun proponents......and our letter writing MUST continue.

Here's a list of the Senate Leadership to write:

Here are the Senate Leaders:

John Morse: john.morse.senate@state.co.us

Brandon Shaffer: brandon@brandonshaffer.com

Betty Boyd: betty.boyd.senate@state.co.us

Lois Tochtrop: lotochtrop@aol.com

Morgan Carroll: morgan.carroll.senate@state.co.us

Bill Cadman: bill.cadman.senate@state.co.us

Mark Scheffel: mark.scheffel.senate@state.co.us

Scott W. Renfroe: senatorrenfroe@gmail.com

Kevin Grantham: kevin.grantham.senate@state.co.us
    Polite, respectful letters! If you live out of state, indicate your hard earned hunting, fishing and vacation dollars will be spent in adjacent states that respect the Constitution.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 20th, 2013 at 11:56 PM.

Whats up. We got some states with constitutional carry. More states issuing carry permits. And now states are starting to turn their backs on their people. I smell something rotten in denmark. Hmmm time to lock and load maybe. Satay safe and carry on.

Let’s put the laws that passed the Colorado house earlier this week against the reality litmus test. Let’s just imagine that these laws were in place in VA before the VA Tech massacre…the worst shooting massacre in US history.

HB1224 – reducing magazine capacity to 15rd.
    Like the vast majority of mass shooters (and criminals in general), including 3 of the 4 deadliest massacres in US history, the VA Tech shooter used handguns. He didn't use a single magazine for either of his guns that held more than the 15-round limit that the Colorado bill sets. Despite the fact that he was using "legal capacity" magazines, and that all of his victims were adults, no one was able to disarm him, despite all of the claims that a mag change allows time for someone to disarm the shooter.
    FAIL: Magazine limit did nothing to stop VA Tech.

HB1229 – background checks for all transactions.
    The VA Tech shooter went through background checks to buy his guns (which he also paid for – see HB1228. His handguns were obtained legally with background checks.
    FAIL: A background check did nothing to stop VA Tech.

HB1228 – folks will pay for their own background checks
    See HB1229 above
    N/A: As this is a funding issue, it was not designed to stand alone, but to add to HB1229

HB1226 – no firearms on campus.
    This is the only law of the set of 4 that the VA Tech shooter actually broke. Virginia banned guns on campus, which did nothing to prevent him (someone intent on breaking a much more serious law of murder) from bringing his onto the campus.
    FAIL: The No Guns on Campus law did nothing to stop the shooter from bringing his on campus.

So, to summarize, even under all of Colorado's new bills, the sick ******* that committed the massacre at VA Tech would have been able to carry out the exact same attack with exactly the same guns, using the exact same magazines, with exactly the same results. And the only gun law he would have to break is the same idiotic one that he broke in Virginia - the gun-free campus law.

So, ask yourself, do you feel safer having these bills passed?
    NRA Member
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting ... have a gun."

Sandy Hook, Aurora and Columbine (but for an attempted straw purchase IIRC) yield the same conclusion: No effect!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links