FNX vs M&P

This is a discussion on FNX vs M&P within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at buying me a pistol for CC. I am debating between the FNX 9 or 40 or the M&P 9 or 40. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tmoore912
  • 1 Post By high pockets
  • 1 Post By Scramble4a5

Thread: FNX vs M&P

FNX vs M&P

I am looking at buying me a pistol for CC. I am debating between the FNX 9 or 40 or the M&P 9 or 40. I have handled both and shot both along with other pistols and these are the ones I have narrowed it down to. Any input would be helpful. This is my first post here but I have read many post during my debate from this forum. I decided to use this forum due to less bias opinion that some others like the FN forum or S&W forum. Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Welcome. I have a FNP 40 which is very similar. A well made pistol, never had an issue. I cannot comment on the comparison, but they seem very similar in design. The M&P is well thought of, so it really boils down to what feels good in your hand. They both should conceal similarly. FN's customer service is supposedly very good, although I would think you probably would not need it given their reliability. Let us know what you end up with.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

No idea, but welcome to the forum, from So Cal! Good luck. I agree with the kapn. The one that is the most comfortable in hand may be the best bet. Might not. Ultimately if you can shoot them tat would be the ideal test.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I've had and shot both. Both are fantastic shooters. Trigger pulls are different, but work well. A better comparison would be between the FNS and M&P.

Either choice will be good though.
    zonker1986 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

My daddio has an fnx 40, i love it, the feel is good, balance is good and i like the grip. (and he wont sell it to me :[ )he M&p is a fine weapon as well, shot a rental when i was picking out my first gun, dirtier then hell but still worked flawlessly. so my advice to you is to shoot both and pick what feels the best.
    weekend pre-apocolypse nomadic warrior, leather duster and all.

Which one feels better in your hands? Which do you shoot better? That should make the decision for you.

Both are nice, reliable pieces. I'm a little partial to the M&P because I like the way they feel a little better. Maybe you should focus on 9 or 40 first, then go shoot the two of them in the appropriate caliber one last time.

I had a FNP9 briefly and found their customer service to be lacking. Eventually they got it right, but it took longer than it should have and I had to nag them a bit. Just my opinion.

Both would be good guns Imho. I handled both as well and I liked the m&p feel better. Plus it has interchangable backstraps for a custom fit. I have the compact version and its very concealable. And they also accept mags from the full sized versions. It all boils down to what feels good in your hand and you shoot well.

FNX is hammer fired - M&P is striker fired

FNX has manual safety - M&P has trigger safety

FNX is DA/SA - M&P is DA only

FNX has de-cocker - M&P does not

FNX can be carried cocked & locked or hammer down - M&P cannot

FNX weighs 22oz - M&P weighs 27.5oz

Had an FNX-9 - just sold it and replaced it with an HK P30S

FNX-9 was accurate, never jammed, never had an FTF or FTE.

When I got the FNX-9 I considered an M&P, but I prefer hammer fired guns over striker fired.
    Maverick20 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    FNX is hammer fired - M&P is striker fired

FNX is DA/SA - M&P is DA only

Had an FNX-9 - just sold it and replaced it with an HK P30S

FNX-9 was accurate, never jammed, never had an FTF or FTE.

When I got the FNX-9 I considered an M&P, but I prefer hammer fired guns over striker fired.

Great information. This is what makes the forums so beneficial. Thanks.
    Maverick20 likes this.

Both are great weapons but, as high pockets pointed out, they are significantly different weapons. I love my M&P 40c! I would love to one day own an FNX. I guess it really comes down to which one feels better when you shoot it.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I've shot them both. I shot both of them great. Both felt great in my hands. I know the FNX is a totally different pistol to the M&P but they were the best shooting and feeling of the ones i shot. Sorta partial to the FNX because of the better safety features like the manual safety and the ability to carry cocked and locked or hammer dropped with safety. The FNX is around $100 more so i just can't decide if it's worth the difference. That's why I'm asking opinion on here for current owners of the weapons.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Umm, it depends on the model of M&P you get. I have an M&P40c with a manual safety. So, it has both.

A striker fired pistol doesn't need it.
    No issue especially if you have the model with a manual safety.
    Well, if you go

M&P9 FS - 24 oz.
    M&P9c - 21.7 oz.
    M&P40 FS - 24.25 oz.
    M&P40c - 21.9 oz.

Not sure where you got 27.5.

I've had an M&P45 FS and an M&P40c and they both are great. My wife loves her M&P Shield 9mm. Never had a problem with any of them. Did get a chance to test out S&W customer service though. My wife had a Sigma 9F and it had some issues. Contacted them via the website, had a shipping label two days later and within 2 weeks we had the gun back and in use.
    EDC - Ruger P90, SCCY CPX2, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by epalmer2898 View Post
    I am looking at buying me a pistol for CC. I am debating between the FNX 9 or 40 or the M&P 9 or 40. I have handled both and shot both along with other pistols and these are the ones I have narrowed it down to. Any input would be helpful. This is my first post here but I have read many post during my debate from this forum. I decided to use this forum due to less bias opinion that some others like the FN forum or S&W forum. Thanks in advance!
    I have the FNP9, and have handled and dry fired the FNS9, which is a striker fired pistol. The FNS is very comparable to the M&P, but the FNS has one of the best triggers
    on a striker fired pistol I have found. Also, the FNS would make a much better concealed carry weapon than the FNX as FN really scaled down the width of the slide on this one.
    17 +1, three mags, night sight standard. Its a good package. I also have the M&P9 Service and the compact model....outstanding guns and shoot like all steel guns.
    My own personal recommendation is that you compare an FNS and an M&P at a local gun store.....you'll see how close these two are......the FNX, like my FNP is like a budget
    SIG. Nice guns, but the FNS is a VERY good gun.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Links