S&W 442 Airweight vs. Bodyguard 38

This is a discussion on S&W 442 Airweight vs. Bodyguard 38 within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any suggestions for CC?...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Easy8

Thread: S&W 442 Airweight vs. Bodyguard 38

Any suggestions for CC?

I am a snubbie lover an thats what I carry everyday. either will be a good choice just get a good belt an holster I carry a SP101 with 38+ps in a milt sparks summer special or remora if I am going to be driving any distance that way I can carry crossdraw while driving an move it upon arrival. I also carry a S&W Mod 60 ported in 357 in a Kent Hayes OWB an a 642 with 38sp for pocket carry I never feel undergunned with any of those. Get used to using speed strips to reload with, I use tuff strips thier like 5 bucks for 2. When you go to the range do all your reloading from them its good practice in case you have to use it. I will say I had my 642 ported, an for a airweight I can hold it on target for follow up shots much easier. I have large hands so changed grips to Gemini wood grips big difference. I am in FL also, in FT Myers good luck
    BMAT likes this.

When I think " BodyGuard", I think of the humpback concealed hammer j frame, not the piece of crap with the integral laser and top latch cylinder release S&W came out with a couple of years back.

Either the real Bodyguard or 642/442 are fine choices, and IMO the only snub choices for all round carry from deep concealment to pocket carry.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I have the S&W 638 (formerly known as the bodyguard, J-frame, shrouded hammer) and really love it. Light weight, hides very easily in my pocket (De Santis Nemesis #2) and shoots great. I use critical defense ammo.

Best regards,
    Mike

Re: S&W 442 Airweight vs. Bodyguard 38

I like the 442. I love mine, and you can get it sans the silly internal lock. I refuse to purchase a S&W with a lock.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    When I think " BodyGuard", I think of the humpback concealed hammer j frame, not the piece of crap with the integral laser and top latch cylinder release S&W came out with a couple of years back.
    Are you saying that a possibly useless integral laser and a latch on the humpback above the web of the strong hand make it a piece of crap or something else?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Either the real Bodyguard or 642/442 are fine choices, and IMO the only snub choices for all round carry from deep concealment to pocket carry.
    ^^^THIS^^^ Glockman10mm speaks the truth. I've pocket-carried a 642 with a couple of speed strip reloads for years. With a snub, practice in shooting and reloading is key.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

i would MUCH prefer the 642 to the NEW polymer Bodyguard. if you're talking about the hump-back 638 Bodyguard, then this is more of a toss-up. i'd probably still go with the 642, because i don't ever see myself shooting an Airweight J-frame in SA mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Are you saying that a possibly useless integral laser and a latch on the humpback above the web of the strong hand make it a piece of crap or something else?
    No. The gun itself is ill conceived.
    A lefty still has to shift the piece to the opposite hand to reload because the cylinder swings out on the same left side, unless the firing hand is twisted and contorted to reach the cylinder with the right hand for loading.

IMO true innovation would be to reverse the release and make the cylinder swing out to the right for leftys.

How many real revolver users will have a brainfart under a stressful reload?
    And if you are laser dependent , and it fails, you have to send the entire gun back for service.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my 442 that they think they fixed with the Bodyguard.

Jim

I have a 442 and a 642, I pocket carry the 642 and the 442 is at home for the wife..

I likes the snubbies.

...I like the SS 649 humpback Bodyguard 2" .38...the weight makes it more fun to practice and carry for me...airweights carry light but exact punishment on the range...I put Packy Compacs on mine and it's a well-balanced little pardner...recently bought a SP101 and I can't say as I like it a bit better...but I'd trade either even for a S&W M64 2"...in my oldpinion the best snub of them all!!!

Links