Rifle Transfer Help

This is a discussion on Rifle Transfer Help within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Howdy, I live in Virginia and a few years go give a rifle to my wife's cousin who lives in MD. He now wants to ...

Thread: Rifle Transfer Help

Rifle Transfer Help

Howdy,

I live in Virginia and a few years go give a rifle to my wife's cousin who lives in MD.

He now wants to sell it o another guy in MD.

Since I was the original purchaser, do I have any problems if he does indeed sell it?

Thanks, in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Typically, for a "non-regulated" rifle just have him get a signed "Sale/Purchase" receipt with the make, model, serial numbers, seller and purchaser with photo ID's, blood type, and a sample of DNA. Just kidding about the blood type and DNA.

I'm sure someone will pull up the MD transfer rules, but you should be OK.

PURCHASE

Maryland does not regulate the sale of rifles or shotguns and no permit is required to purchase a rifle or shotgun. Maryland does regulate the sale, transfer, rent and possession of regulated firearms, which consist of handguns and assault weapons. A person who is not a regulated firearms dealer may not sell, rent, transfer, or purchase any regulated firearm without going through a regulated firearms dealer. Alternatively, the prospective seller/transferor and prospective buyer/transferee may complete the transaction through a designated law enforcement agency.
    http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/maryland.aspx
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 21st, 2013 at 08:13 PM.

VIP Member
    ^I'm with Rock & Glock on this one^^^^^^^^^^

Just get her cousin to send you a signed dated receipt saying that you gave/sold him the firearm, and you should be in the clear.
    Then he can do what he want to with it.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

From what I read I do not believe he can do a Face to Face transfer without going thru a dealer or the State Police
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I do not believe he can do a Face to Face transfer without going thru a dealer or the State Police
    That is only for a "regulated firearm" unless I missed something?

Dependent on the rifle, he might need to check and see if it meets the MD definition of an "assault weapon".

Links