KS CCW wait time?

KS CCW wait time?

This is a discussion on KS CCW wait time? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone on here applied in Kansas recently or received theirs lately? How long did it take? I applied on Monday and the receptionist handling applications ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KS CCW wait time?

Anyone on here applied in Kansas recently or received theirs lately? How long did it take? I applied on Monday and the receptionist handling applications said they are 6-9 months now. Said if I hear from them in less than 6 months I should rejoice.

That's just depressing. Wonder if anyone had heard the same or experienced better.

I turned mine in on January 22nd. I emailed the AG's office and she told me to expect in mid to late April. I may have got in just before the big rush but don't know.

Used to be 60 days, nowadays I'm hearing they are taking 75 to 90 days.

How recent are you hearing 90 days? I was fully prepared for a 90 day wait. But not 6-9 months!

Quote Originally Posted by Diggityd View Post
    Anyone on here applied in Kansas recently or received theirs lately? How long did it take? I applied on Monday and the receptionist handling applications said they are 6-9 months now. Said if I hear from them in less than 6 months I should rejoice.

That's just depressing. Wonder if anyone had heard the same or experienced better.
    I live in Kansas and have had my permit for a few years.

My son just got his last fall - 2012.

The answer is as follows...

The Kansas AG office must process and issue you your permit on or before the 90th day per Kansas statute. It use to be closer to 70 days or so, but with the popularity of CCW right now, permits are taking the full 90 days!!!

My son's permit was submitted in October 2012 and he received his "approval letter" with a postmark of the 89th day!!!! You then take the approval letter to your local Driver's license station to have your picture taken and pay your picture fees. They will isue you a temporary CCW permit (valid but just a piece of paper and I sure would not travel out of Kansas with it). Your actual CCW permit will be mailed to you like your DL is in Kansas.

Bottom line... expect to wait the full 90 days (postmark from the AG's office) from the date you submitted your paperwork at your local Sheriff's department.

Good luck and welcome to the club.

(Johnson County resident here)
    Springfield XDM 40cal
    Safariland Double Magazine Duty Pouch
    High Noon "Slide Guard" Holster - Leather (OWB)
    BladeTech "Eclipse" Holster - Kydex (OWB)
    Aker Reinforced Gun Belt (Leather & Polymer)
    Wilderness Tactical/Operator Belt (Kydex Reinforced)

Turned mine in Monday, Dec 31, and a friend a week later, still no answer, now about day 101, will try to keep you posted

Quote Originally Posted by Momokahn View Post
    I turned mine in on January 22nd. I emailed the AG's office and she told me to expect in mid to late April. I may have got in just before the big rush but don't know.
    Yes, I submitted by application on Feb. 1, and have been disappointed every time I check my PO Box...

Quote Originally Posted by Taildragger View Post
    Turned mine in Monday, Dec 31, and a friend a week later, still no answer, now about day 101, will try to keep you posted
    I turned mine in 3 days before you. I called the AG office today and they confirmed I was approved on Saturday and the notice would mail out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkgood View Post
    I turned mine in 3 days before you. I called the AG office today and they confirmed I was approved on Saturday and the notice would mail out today.
    Hope so, keep us posted and I will do the same

Turned mine in on December 6, 2012.
    Recieved the permit exactly 90 days later.
    Drivers licence office and 2 weeks later to the day once again I recieved the permit in the mail.
    I believe it helps to call the Attorney Generals office weekly after you hit the 60 day mark.
    They are helpful and will look up the status for you.

Letter arrived Thursday.

A coworker said he saw an article in the paper where the AG office admitted they were slightly behind but should be caught up this month.

A poster in this thread said that you have 90 days from when you submitted your application at the Sheriff's office....Not true today. I called the Kansas AG's office, and they looked up the application date as being when they received it, which was 11 days after the date that Iactually submitted it to the Sheriff. She said the Sheriff's office had 7 days to get the application to the AG's office (again, it took 11 days).
    Others have said that the employee's were friendly..they were in a stressed out sort of way.....So now the new normal for the AG's office is really about 100 days, not 90.

Mine was a 100 day wait, I understand now is around 120 days..

Quote Originally Posted by Ksgunner View Post
    Mine was a 100 day wait, I understand now is around 120 days..
    From my conversation today, the AG employee said they would get caught up later this month. But again, the clock starts on the date they receive it from the Sheriff. Don't know how the statute define 90 days, and when that starts, however.

KS Wait Time

Quote Originally Posted by Walkgood View Post
    Everyone that I have talked to who actually called the AG's office after 60 days, was told the same thing !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links