New Orleans carry question

This is a discussion on New Orleans carry question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Going to be there in a week or so. I wanted to know, if I am going to a college club baseball game that is ...

Thread: New Orleans carry question

New Orleans carry question

Going to be there in a week or so. I wanted to know, if I am going to a college club baseball game that is played between to college club teams but not on school property is it legal to carry?

2. Remove Ads

Possibly, but likely the field will be posted. I've never been to a ballpark that wasn't posted.

You didn't provide anyone with enough data to answer your question. If you know where the field is, in LA, say so, and one of our members from that area might see it and give you an answer.

I would expect to carry, if it were me. I only live 95 miles from the Big Easy, and never enter the city unarmed, or under armed. LOL

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

VIP Member
    Not knowing exactly where it is, I don't have a definitive answer for you. The info below might help you. NOPD has a reputation of following "New Orleans laws" rather than what law the State allows. Be careful.

Prohibited Locations
    R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) states that no concealed handgun may be carried into and no concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall authorize or entitle a permittee to carry a concealed handgun in any of the following:

•A law enforcement office, station, or building;

•A detention facility, prison, or jail;

•A courthouse or courtroom, provided that a judge may carry such a weapon in his own courtroom;

•A polling place;

•A meeting place of the governing authority of a political subdivision;

•The state capitol building;

•Any portion of an airport facility where the carrying of firearms is prohibited under federal law, except that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, if the firearm is encased for shipment, for the purpose of checking such firearm as lawful baggage;

•Any church, synagogue, mosque or similar place of worship; See RS 40:1379.3 (U)

•A parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity;

•Any portion of the permitted area of an establishment that has been granted a Class A-General retail permit, as defined in Part II of Chapter 1 or Part II of Chapter 2 of Title 26 of the Louisiana Revised Statutes of 1950, to sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises.

•Any school "firearm free zone" as defined in R.S. 14:95.6.

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section. No individual to whom a concealed handgun permit is issued may carry such concealed handgun into the private residence of another without first receiving the consent of that person.

14:95.6. Firearm-free zone; notice; signs; crime; penalties

A. A "firearm-free zone" is an area inclusive of any school campus and within one thousand feet of any such school campus, and within a school bus.

B. The provisions of this Section shall not apply to:

(1) A federal, state, or local law enforcement building.

(2) A military base.

(3) A commercial establishment which is permitted by law to have firearms or armed security.

(4) Private premises where a firearm is kept pursuant to law.

(5) Any constitutionally protected activity within the firearm-free zone, such as a firearm contained entirely within a motor vehicle.

C. For purposes of this Section:

(1) "School" means any public or private elementary, secondary, high school, or vocational-technical school, college, or university in this state.

(2) "School campus" means all facilities and property within the boundary of the school property.

(3) "School bus" means any motor bus being used to transport children to and from school or in connection with school activities.

D. The local governing authority which has jurisdiction over zoning matters in which each firearm-free zone is located shall publish a map clearly indicating the boundaries of each firearm-free zone in accordance with the specifications in Subsection A. The firearm-free zone map shall be made an official public document and placed with the clerk of court for the parish or parishes in which the firearm-free zone is located.

E. The state superintendent of education, with the approval of the State Board of Elementary and Secondary Education, and the commissioner of higher education, with the approval of the Board of Regents, shall develop a method by which to mark firearm-free zones, including the use of signs or other markings suitable to the situation. Signs or other markings shall be located in a visible manner on or near each school and on and in each school bus indicating that such area is a firearm-free zone and that such zone extends to one thousand feet from the boundary of school property. The state Department of Education shall assist each approved school with the posting of notice as required in this Subsection.

F.(1) It is unlawful for any person to cover, remove, deface, alter, or destroy any sign or other marking identifying a firearm-free zone as provided in this Section.

(2) Whoever violates the provisions of this Subsection shall be fined not more than one thousand dollars or imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Acts 1992, No. 197, 1; Acts 1993, No. 844, 1; Acts 1993, No. 1031, 1.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    You didn't provide anyone with enough data to answer your question. If you know where the field is, in LA, say so, and one of our members from that area might see it and give you an answer.

Be safe.
    If I knew what field or where it was I would have said so. This is all the data I have right now.

Thank you PPKHeat. Here in Florida the law says you can not carry at any school sanctioned event (regardless of location). So if these baseball games were played at a city park (which is legal to carry here) you couldn't carry because you would be going to a school event. I didn't read that anyplace in NOLA laws so I guess as long as the park isn't posted on on another school's grounds it will be ok.

VIP Member
    Actually that is not NOLA law, it is the State's. However, as I said, NOPD's mindset tends to trump State law. FWIW I've only heard this, I've never experienced it. Good luck
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Links