Glock 26 or Springfield XDs 9mm

This is a discussion on Glock 26 or Springfield XDs 9mm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Glock 19, but know that there will be certain occasions where I'll need something smaller. Namely length and hopefully a little width. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Glock 26 or Springfield XDs 9mm

Glock 26 or Springfield XDs 9mm

I have a Glock 19, but know that there will be certain occasions where I'll need something smaller. Namely length and hopefully a little width.

The Glock 26 is 1.18" wide and 4.17" tall. This thing is a little chubby, quite short, but packs a punch just like Gary Coleman. It has a capacity of 10 rounds.

The Springfield XDs in 9mm is 1.00" wide and 4.4" tall. So while very slim, it's a pinch taller than the Glock 26. It will have a capacity of 7 rounds.

I guess not "what gun is better" but...what would you sacrifice? Short height and capacity or width? I'm not really interested in any other handguns, including the M&P Shield.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The 19 is as small as I ever go.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

So here's the deal. I posted it in the wrong place. This should be in the Defensive Carry Guns section. Please accept my apologies and feel free to move this. I'm not sure how to do it or if I have that capability.

I would go with the Springfield. If you want a gun that truly is more concealable the XD-s makes more sense. For my money, I don't think there is actually enough difference between the G19 and G26 to warrant the purchase of both.
    ironmike86 likes this.

I actually looked at both of these, and shot them side by side to make my decision. The Glock is a bit smaller and significantly lighter than the XD, which may make the Glock easier to conceal. However the XD holds 13+1 and those extra rounds are really nice to have. I really liked the sights, trigger, and recoil, the same on both guns. In fact if not for the grip I am not sure I have enough experience that I could really even tell the difference between the two. I think ultimately I went with the XD because it just felt better in my hand. Not sure that is the best reason to go with it, but I really don’t think you can go wrong with either one of them.
    Just to be fair, I had a Gen3 26, with the Gen 4 Glock they have changeable backstraps which may change the way the grip feels. The palm safety doesn’t bother me at all, in fact I don’t even notice is.
    Highly suggest you find a range where you can shoot them side by side.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I would say go XD-S... But it's obvious im partial to XD's... The actual slide is less than 1"

The XD-S .45 is next on my list... But sometimes i wonder if the extra bit of comfort is really worth only having 5+1 of ACP... You can get the 7+1 in .45, too. But it makes the grip pretty much full size again. I'm just gonna get the Pearce pinky extension for the 5 rounder.

The reason i say i'm wondering if it's really worth it... Today at the Dollar Store i had a few shady characters in front of me who were giving me some really bad vibes... Trying to eye behind the counter etc.etc.. Dollar Stores are hot targets around these parts btw.

Anyway!! It sure felt good having those 14 rounds of .40 Ranger T strapped to my rear... I'm not so sure i would have felt as confident with 6 if the SHTF.
    stevenshizzle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by baruffic View Post
    I actually looked at both of these, and shot them side by side to make my decision. The Glock is a bit smaller and significantly lighter than the XD, which may make the Glock easier to conceal. However the XD holds 13+1 and those extra rounds are really nice to have. I really liked the sights, trigger, and recoil, the same on both guns. In fact if not for the grip I am not sure I have enough experience that I could really even tell the difference between the two. I think ultimately I went with the XD because it just felt better in my hand. Not sure that is the best reason to go with it, but I really don’t think you can go wrong with either one of them.
    Just to be fair, I had a Gen3 26, with the Gen 4 Glock they have changeable backstraps which may change the way the grip feels. The palm safety doesn’t bother me at all, in fact I don’t even notice is.
    Highly suggest you find a range where you can shoot them side by side.
    Appreciate the feedback. I looked at the regular XDs and XDMs but felt they were too bulky. I'm actually referring to Springfield's single stack XDs in 9mm that'll be coming out the first half of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenshizzle View Post
    Appreciate the feedback. I looked at the regular XDs and XDMs but felt they were too bulky. I'm actually referring to Springfield's single stack XDs in 9mm that'll be coming out the first half of this year.
    I did not know they had a single stack, may have to check that out.

Thanks!

Have you considered a Beretta Nano. It's very small, .90" and I don't know how tall. New ones have resolved the free problems of the early runs. 6+1 is a few less rounds than either the 26 or xd-s, but I work where max concealment is a priority so the Nano fits that criteria perfectly. I'll awesome mention that with the $$$ you save you can get a nice iwb holster.
    stevenshizzle likes this.

Re: Glock 26 or Springfield XDs 9mm

It will be months probably before the XDS 9s come out.

Your 19 mags will fit a 26.

The baby Glocks are fatter but not that bad. Plus they care tried and true. Not a bad idea to wait on new guns to see how the reviews are. And I like my Glock trigger better than my SA.

Plus if a 26 should fit your 19 holsters.

In God and Glock we Trust

saa
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenshizzle View Post
    I have a Glock 19, but know that there will be certain occasions where I'll need something smaller. Namely length and hopefully a little width.

The Glock 26 is 1.18" wide and 4.17" tall. This thing is a little chubby, quite short, but packs a punch just like Gary Coleman. It has a capacity of 10 rounds.

The Springfield XDs in 9mm is 1.00" wide and 4.4" tall. So while very slim, it's a pinch taller than the Glock 26. It will have a capacity of 7 rounds.

I guess not "what gun is better" but...what would you sacrifice? Short height and capacity or width? I'm not really interested in any other handguns, including the M&P Shield.
    I carry the G26 with Pearce +2 extensions on the magazine. The extensions are exceptional and change the nature of the grip. It's my favorite goto ccw now. Twelve rounds of 9mm - dead accurate - and very easy to shoot and conceal.
    saa.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Takeem406 View Post
    It will be months probably before the XDS 9s come out.

Your 19 mags will fit a 26.

The baby Glocks are fatter but not that bad. Plus they care tried and true. Not a bad idea to wait on new guns to see how the reviews are. And I like my Glock trigger better than my SA.

Plus if a 26 should fit your 19 holsters.

In God and Glock we Trust
    This^^^

Your 26 will fit in your 19 holsters. Plus, for extra ammo, or more convenience at the range, your 19 mags will work in the 26. For those reasons, I'd go with a 26. The compatibility would outweigh the differences in the XD line; same holster, same feel, same function.

Quote Originally Posted by saa View Post
    I carry the G26 with Pearce +2 extensions on the magazine. The extensions are exceptional and change the nature of the grip. It's my favorite goto ccw now. Twelve rounds of 9mm - dead accurate - and very easy to shoot and conceal.
    saa.
    The only thing I would say to this is by adding the Pearce extension, he might as well just carry his 19. Grip length is the only real difference that would affect how a 26 would carry vs. a 19. By adding an inch to the grip, you may as well stick with the 19 (not you, but him ).
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I may take another look at the Nano. Not a big fan of not having a manual slide stop lever, but whatever. It seems like the smaller the gun gets, the more sacrifices you have to make. That comes with the territory though

VIP Member
    as far as the OP question of what to sacrifice, I'd go with the 26, the difference in width is not that much.
    Plus as others have said....its a bonus to have your 19 mags as spares, same trigger and feel, plus you have a lot of parts they share (if you haven't, I'd get some spare parts to store away), and there are a lot of holsters that can bee used by both
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I have a 19, a 26, and an XDs .45.

The 19 is a great gun. Since I got the 26, the 19 sits in the bedside safe wearing night sights and a rail light as the home defense gun.

I've carried the 26 more than all the other carry guns I own added up. It's lighter than the 19. Weight matters too.

That said, the reason for the XDs is to have a slightly easier to conceal summer carry gun. So far, my experiments suggest it's just enough thinner that I can hide it on my 5'-8" 157 lb body @ 4:00 or 4:30 under an untucked polo shirt. The G26 is a bit too fat and prints. the XDs doesn't. It's not a lot smaller/thinner, but it's enough to make the difference.

The XDs is a very accurate little gun even though the trigger is not as good (for me) as that on the Glock. It is better than the trigger on the Nano, LC9, and any Kahr ever made. I don't like those looooooooong light triggers. Gimme something with a break to it.

As far as the .45 cartridge in the XDs, it shoots just fine. Recoil is managable and it's possible for a decent shooter to put 5 shots, slow fire, into a sub one inch group at 21' pretty much on demand.

None of my Glocks, 17, 19, 26, or 30, are going anywhere. Neither are my SIG C3 (which I'm packing as I type this) or XDs .45.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links