Women and pistol weight

This is a discussion on Women and pistol weight within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am so glad I went to the range and shot a couple 9mm last night. I thought I would really like the LC9, but ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Nmuskier
  • 1 Post By high pockets

Thread: Women and pistol weight

Women and pistol weight

I am so glad I went to the range and shot a couple 9mm last night. I thought I would really like the LC9, but hated it.
    What I did like was the Kahr MK9. I wanted to check with the ladies here and see what you think. I really would like to have
    a gun that I enjoy shooting so that I shoot it a lot and get good with it. I think part of the reason I liked the MK9 so much was
    the weight made it nice to shoot. My question to you ladies is does any of you carry something this heavy regularly? My
    only concern is if the weight would get annoying for EDC. I am planning on carrying IWB. Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

What's your clothing/gear selection? IWB, sure, but what about the specific belt, holster? Found a comfortable spot to carry yet?

The belt+holster and positioning can make all the difference. But it varies so much with respect to body type/shape and clothing selection as to what will be the most comfortable and concealable for a given person.

I agree with you on the higher-weight guns. The Kahr PM9 is about the only truly puny, ultra-lightweight gun I've loved to shoot and loved the feel of. But with every other gun I have ever shot, I've noticed that the slightly heavier weight and longer barrel helps me tremendously. Whatever it is that better matches that to my muscles/technique, it works for me. The PM9's great, but the MK9 is even better. The P9 is fine, but the K9 is fabulous. A 27oz 1911 clone is okay, but a 39oz traditional 1911 shoots like a dream. A S&W Airweight snubbie is easier to carry, perhaps, but give me a Ruger SP-101 every time.

But, as you indicate, that difference in weight needs to be effectively carried. Depends mostly on your belt, holster and general ability to carry a gun comfortably on your waist. Try different spots along the belt, including appendix carry. Try one of the "belly" bands, as an option.

For some ideas regarding carrying larger/heavier guns, check out LimaTunes' videos on Youtube and blog.

Here's another good Youtube site, from a woman's perspective: FaliaPhotography @ Youtube.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Women and pistol weight

you're one of the few that figured out early that what's comfortable to shoot isn't always comfortable to carry. and the smaller/lighter the gun gets, the more uncomfortable to shoot it becomes.

you're carry gun should be comfortable enough to shoot that you'll practice with it enough to be proficient. for me, I'm willing to put up with a little shooting discomfort for an easy to carry gun (PF9, LCP). when it comes time to use it for self defense, you'll likely not worry too much about the beating your palm takes. however, my normal EDC is bigger and heavier (G26). it took some time to get use to the added bulk and weight but I hardly notice it anymore. 2 of my women friends that also carry have P239's and another has a P2000SK and they're not exactly light or small guns. they handbag carry when not wearing pants though.

good luck in your search. there's no right answer. whatever works for you. just carry something, somehow.

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I thought this thread was going to be about what to say when your wife asks, "Does this 1911 make me look fat?"
    sriddle13 and ExactlyMyPoint like this.

I echo the above posts and suggest you check out Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. for a lot of good information targeted at women, their issues and concerns.
    DaveInEdmonds likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    I echo the above posts and suggest you check out [URL="http://www.corneredcat.com"]Cornered Cat | ...
    Oops. Forgot that one. Great site, with lots of good ideas from the woman's perspective.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I own an mk9. I absolutely love it! I went back and eventually got a K9 as well. The mk9 was a beast to carry at first. As soon as I got the right holster, I hardly knew it was there! My wife shot it at the range and now she loves it! She uses the mk9 and I use the K9. It all depends on how you plan on carrying it.

I'm not a woman, but I do own the Kahr MK9 and the PM9. After I bought the PM9, I stopped carrying the MK9. The PM9 is much, much lighter and easier for all day carry. The recoil is more than the MK9, but it's very manageable.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I carry a Sig P229 whenever I am wearing clothing that allows it (basically 3 months out of the year). I do notice the weight. It depends mostly on my pants--I hate hate hate high rise pants, but they do let the weight sit high enough that it's not dragging on my hip bone. I have a better holster on order that will spread out the weight some.

The rest of the time I have a P238 and I barely notice it's there.

Links