Question: Re reaching for wallet while carrying

This is a discussion on Question: Re reaching for wallet while carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently, I took a training course from Rangemaster (Tom Givens). The course was titled Combative Defense Pistol 1, and I highly recommend it. Over the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: Re reaching for wallet while carrying

Recently, I took a training course from Rangemaster (Tom Givens). The course was titled Combative Defense Pistol 1, and I highly recommend it. Over the course of the weekend, we must have drawn from a concealed position a couple of hundred times.

Now my question. I'm now so used to flinging the jacket back and reaching for my firearm that when I'm paying for anything at the store, I tend to fling my jacket back! Thus revealing my firearm. I would prefer not to reveal to anyone that I'm carrying, yet, the training really got me going for that particular motion (reach back with the right hand)!

Sounds silly, but I think I need one motion to get the wallet (come from behind and under the jacket) and another for a draw (quick sweep from the side to fling the jacket back).

Anyone else had this issue?
    Thanks for any thoughts!

Lead Moderator
    I carry my wallet in the weak hand side pocket or front pocket. I know several others do so as well.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I carry my wallet in the weak hand side pocket or front pocket. I know several others do so as well.

A simple solution to a simple problem...

i use a small wallet and carry of side front pocket but for guys who carry everything in there wallet like my dad does i suggest just switch sides with it

Will take awhile to get used to but better than flashing gun

^What they said. Front pocket, off hand side.
    Charlie - 40FIVER

Why I carry:
    "The heart is deceitul above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
    Jeremiah 17:9

Assistant Administrator
    I had carried wallet back pocket strong side for years. When I started carrying I was getting bothered by trying to be surupticiously groping for wallet and not showing the piece!!!

I changed to left rear pocket and didn't take too long to make the change a total habit - well over four years old these days. Now it is easy and efficient.

If I sweep right side of shirt or jacket - it'll be not for money!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Luckily, I only carry my mustang in the rear pocket holster. If I ain't carrying the mustang, its either the sp101 or taurus in a front pocket holster.
    When I start carrying the para, I will keep that idea handy....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

VIP Member
    I have carried a money clip in my right front pocket for almost 30 years. When I reach for it I simply put my hand in my pocket. I carry my wallet is in my left rear pocket and have since I quit wearing jeans to school in 1962. The left rear pocket had the button on it so I put the wallet there. I tried for a while recently to carry my money clip in my left front pocket, but could not get used to it. Then when I started carrying a Kel-Tec in my left front pocket the arrangement was settled and the money clip resides in the right front.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I am probably the most prudent of the group, (some may read PARANOID) but being raised in Brooklyn my dad taught me to carry 2 wallets.

One for me and one for the mugger My 'wallet' has ~20 singles(muggers money) in the wad and a bunch of those fake credit cards you get with the mail offers 250 times a week and a fake DL. "My" wallet resides in my front pocket on the weak side.

Off hand side..
    Also if I ever have to produce my ID's for a LEO (DL and permit) I can tell the LEO that I'm carrying at 4 o'clock and that my "paperwork" is at 7/8 o'oclock. I believe that a LEO would be more at ease knowing that I wasn't digging anywhere near my weapon for ANYTHING.. Not a good time for any misunderstandings.
    Be safe.

I had to switch wallet to opposite side, at first awkward but got used to it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

The moment I started carrying, placing the wallet in my weak-side front pocket solved all of that. No movement of the strong-side arm, where it can remain in "cover" position. No fumbling with the strong-side hand, leaving it free for its primary duty (to draw, if need be). No printing. Works very well. No problems that I found, other than getting used to it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Weak side rear pocket for my wallet for me as I most always strong side carry. Money clip/card holder in weak side front pocket is usually all I reach for so I don't need to get out my wallet for every little thing.
    By the way, good question/thread!

I carry my wallet in the cargo pocket of my strong side leg. This is handy many times a day because I have to often get to my wallet while in the car. It is also far away from the weapon so the movements are different than a draw.

Senior Member Array High Altitude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mhawk View Post
    I carry my wallet in the cargo pocket of my strong side leg. This is handy many times a day because I have to often get to my wallet while in the car. It is also far away from the weapon so the movements are different than a draw.
    I do the exact same thing.

I don't carry anything at all in my rear pockets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links