Most Dangerous Cities

This is a discussion on Most Dangerous Cities within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i agree With 2 of them detroit and flint yepper...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Most Dangerous Cities

i agree With 2 of them detroit and flint yepper

2. Remove Ads

Ft. Worth and Dallas: Ft.Worth Top Ten Safest and Dallas Top Ten Most Dangerous................Reall mixed message, because both have very dangerous areas, as well as some very "safe" areas so to speak. I still carry in both...........LOL

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    i seen that last night on the news. I lived in StL for four years and loved the city. I never felt in danger like a do in Detriot or Flint....I grew up near Flint, MI and that place is dangerous. much smaller than detriot or StL....was east StL included in the data? that might help me to believe this 'research'....I think I remember a few years ago, StL was rated one of the top cities to live in.....I guess if StL insurance agents are doing the research, then crime is high and so are the rates!!!
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

VIP Member
    While I no longer live in Richmond, Va (#5 on the unsafe list) I do work there.

Just another reason to have a firearm handy.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Snowdoctor East St. Louis was not included nor should it be considering its in another state. But St. Louis County was also not included in the survey. If it was, it would of made the population much, much larger bringing down the percentage.

City limits only, not metro area

One thing that is important about this study is shown below in a quote from the article:

"Morgan said the study looks at crime only within St. Louis city limits, with a population of about 330,000. It doesn’t take into account the suburbs in St. Louis County, which has roughly 980,000 residents."

I believe this format was used in compiling the data for all the cities shown. It would tend to penalize areas where there is a central city containing all the slums, drugs and minorities, surrounded by separate suburban cities that are more affluent. St. Louis may be an example of this. If you defined the "city" as the entire metro area, including suburbs, you might get a different ranking.

I live in a very safe neighborhood in St. Louis county and have my whole life. In fact my family has had more problems with thieves on our property in the central Missouri Ozarks than St Louis county.

Having said that there are for sure some very dangerous neighborhoods in parts of St. Louis city and county. I work downtown and drive through some of them every day. This is why Mr. XD .45 rides in the center consil with me and Mr. 642 in my pocket. St. Louis is on par with any other metropolitain area of its size. Good areas with little to no violent crime and areas where you can get killed for your tennis shoes.

VIP Member
    Well to bad for The Loo that it made the top of the list. The stats used a fixed area for population and for crime. I'm ok with that. Expanding the Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is problematic because then all cities will want to extend their MSA until their crime rate is lower than another city. The areas used would then resemble voting districts in this country.

What really needs to happen is the cities should pay so that these types of statistics never see the light of day. That or just stop reporting stuff like some cities have done in the past.

The interesting thing for law enforcement and city officials is I bet they all know exactly where 80+% of all violent crime occurs within their city. I'll bet they even know what the commonalities are of these areas from city to city. So what are any of them doing about it?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I cannot believe that the South Bronx or East NY in Brooklyn are not listed.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

VIP Member
    Scott I'm not sure you know the history of St. Louis. Because of political fighting between city and county way , way before I was born, the county has never been included in any of the stats like most major cities. So making a statement like expanding the metropolitan statistical area is problematic because all cities will want to extend their MSA untill their crime rate is lower than another city is not stateing the facts. The fact is most cities already do include their counties population.

The political boundaries of St Louis differ from those of other cities in that they are fixed by law. In other words St Louis city cannot annex surrounding areas. Other cities continually annex surrounding areas making their boundaries larger, populations larger and changing the demmographics of the city. This is not an option for St Louis since it is not technically a part of St. louis county.

To my understanding this was done way back in the day so St. Louis would not have the financial burdon of providing the lions share of funding to provide for roads and services in St Louis county which at that time was poorer and undeveloped. In the end they shot themselves in the foot as the countys growth has exploded and the city of St. louis has stagnated and lost population for the last hundred years.

Looks like Ben got ahead of me to make the same point.

whatever you do don't click on the discussion button
    Buncha uninformed sheep.....

Unhappy

I hail from Birmingham ..#6 I think they had something like 113 homicides last year. Glad I got out of there.

rmw
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    i agree With 2 of them detroit and flint yepper
    I'll 2nd that , although Saginaw is doing it's best to compete with Flint

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links