Camping with Kids

This is a discussion on Camping with Kids within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am pretty new to any type of carrying and taking things a bit slow. I thought maybe I would draw from the wisdom of ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Camping with Kids

Camping with Kids

I am pretty new to any type of carrying and taking things a bit slow. I thought maybe I would draw from the wisdom of the forum. In the summer I sometimes go camping. It's a safe state campground and concealed carry is fine with the park/state rules.Where do people keep their gun when they are sleeping in a tent? In my case I am in a tent with several small children and maybe a dog. Do I leave it in my sleeping bag in a holster? In the car? Bring my car safe into the tent?

2. Remove Ads

Under my pillow lol but now we have an rv
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Re: Camping with Kids

Camping is one of the main places I intend to carry, so I would like to hear some more feedback on this, too.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk 2

On you at all times. If you don't have a holster that will do that.....then by all means....find one that will.
    NCSoxFan and MasterGadgets like this.

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    On you at all times. If you don't have a holster that will do that.....then by all means....find one that will.
    Where do you wear a sleeping holster?

It might take some getting used to but sleep with it still on your hip.
    Smarshe and MasterGadgets like this.

This is one of the main reasons I got my CCW, for camping. In Kentucky, we have gone camping several times and had coyotes come around the site or close to it. My wife even woke up one camping trip and thought she heard the coyotes just outside our tent. So, yeah, where to keep it in the tent with our young children is a good question.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    When I camp, I OC. This may or may not be an option for you. I have an RV so my tent camping is limited to hunting trips into high country. When this is the case, at night I keep my gun holstered and wrap it up in my pants and keep close to my head. I have no kids so that's not an issue. The dog could care less.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Keep it right there in the sleeping bag with you. Take the proper safety precautions. You'll be fine.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by OnePlink View Post
    Where do you wear a sleeping holster?
    You think I get into jammies when camping in the outback? Camping means distancing oneself from the home life. All the more reason to carry. A "sleeping holster"? How about digging a fox hole and never going to sleep? A "holster" may be the farthest from your mind........keeping your pistol in hand might be more like it. Forget the holster. Some of you obviously don't realize what it might take to survive. In case you don't....and you still want to put it in terms of "sleeping attire".....just watch the 10 o'clock news. Might I add that this is only for you behind closed doors in the city under police protection (supposedly). Out camping in the wild (even if it's a state area)...........you're kidding yourself that these places are safe.
    Reality will hit you when you least expect it. Keep kidding yourself into false promises and hopes for a totally peaceful world.
    To me.....that's far from reality and hopeful thinking.
    NONAME762 likes this.

Inside the holster, inside the pillow case...safe and secure!OMOYMV
    SIGguy229 and dangerranger like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    You think I get into jammies when camping in the outback? Camping means distancing oneself from the home life. All the more reason to carry. A "sleeping holster"? How about digging a fox hole and never going to sleep? A "holster" may be the farthest from your mind........keeping your pistol in hand might be more like it. Forget the holster. Some of you obviously don't realize what it might take to survive. In case you don't....and you still want to put it in terms of "sleeping attire".....just watch the 10 o'clock news. Might I add that this is only for you behind closed doors in the city under police protection (supposedly). Out camping in the wild (even if it's a state area)...........you're kidding yourself that these places are safe.
    Reality will hit you when you least expect it. Keep kidding yourself into false promises and hopes for a totally peaceful world.
    To me.....that's far from reality and hopeful thinking.
    That's pretty hilarious JD. The few times I haven't slept with a gun was at a Rendezvous. My guns were inside my lodge close to hand tho. TBT I'm really leery of camping in state parks and haven't in at least 20 years. Typically I'll sleep with 2 of my favorite handguns on me in my bag and like JDavis I ain't wearin' no jammies either!!
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

I stick mine under my pillow, but that's just me. I would keep it in your car safe, inside the tent, if you are worried about your kids getting a hold of it
    Say 'what' again! I dare you! I double dare you!-Jules Winnfield aka Samuel L Jackson

My tent has a pocket on the side that I use. Or I put it holstered between my mat and the tent wall. My hammock has a holster on the ridgeline that I use when I sleep in it. Don't over think this too much. If it's in a decent holster and close by you should be fine. And teach your kids that it's hands off unless they ask you and you show them.
    RichB70 likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I do alot of camping in a small travel trailor. I CCW during the day and at night keep my rev. in a holster close at hand.Camp grounds can have some dangerous people show up and S.A. is prudent. Avoid confrontation over dogs , kids ect.

Rich
    NewtownSam likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links