Questions For You Penna. Folks

This is a discussion on Questions For You Penna. Folks within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a former Pa resident and current resident and ccp holder in a southern state I travel back to Pa (Pa honors my license) on ...

Thread: Questions For You Penna. Folks

Questions For You Penna. Folks

As a former Pa resident and current resident and ccp holder in a southern state I travel back to Pa (Pa honors my license) on occasion and want to make certain I'm always in compliance with the rules. I have two questions.

First, a careful review of Handgunlaw.us seems to indicate there are no prohibitions on carry at universities, only secondary, elementary, parochial and transportation (buses) to and from. The usual prohibitions on carry exist at courthouses, jails, capitol complex in harrisburg and a few mentioned agencies. But I'm not seeing a blanket mention of government owned buildings. Specifically, may I go into the gym and work out at a state owned university while CC?

Second, most states seem to have the usual prohibition on CC in the bar area of a bar/restaurant. Again I didn't see any mention of it in Pa. This isn't meant to be a debate over the wisdom of drinking and CC, I don't do it. Just want to know the answer.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

Here is a link to a good site for PA carry.

Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

JD
    Administrator
    PA has no state law against carrying in a restaurant or bar that serves alcohol or colleges including state universities.

You have to check your pistol at County Courthouses (they have lockers), best to have your permit in hand when you notify security or deputy.

As far as I know PA state universities have a no weapons on campus policy. My daughter goes to a state university and she cannot carry or keep a weapon in her on campus housing. As far as me, I cc when I'm there as the policy is about the same as the "NO CCW IN OUR PLACE OF BUSINESS" signs you see from time to time. They have no force of law, but they could ask you to leave if your caught with a weapon. My daughter would probably be kicked out of the university if she was caught carrying or keeping a weapon in her on campus housing so she's not willing to take the risk. Funny thing is, there have been a lot of armed robberies and break ins at this campus recently. She's got OC spray, but she would feel much better with her revolver next to the bed instead of a condiment. I think their policy has never been seriously challenged, that's why they can keep it in force. As far as bars and restaurants that serve alcohol, you can cc there but not a good idea to be consuming alcohol as we all know.
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

Quote Originally Posted by Pampa View Post
    Here is a link to a good site for PA carry.

Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

+1 on PAFOA...PA has very liberal laws on where you can and cannot carry..while you are there you ought to apply for your PA LTCF its cheap like 25$ for 5 years. i picked up reciprocity with maine, wv and virginia with a PA permit over just having my GA permit
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Administrator
    You MAY go into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol and you MAY consume alcoholic beverages while you are carrying.

Please - No Guns and Alcohol Don't Mix!!! comments. They have been posted already 1,000 times before on this forum.

The OP asked what the PA. Law is and I posted it.

There are not drunk, gun toting people NDing and accidentally shooting one another in restaurants all over Pennsylvania. It's a non issue here.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    You MAY go into bars and restaurants that serve alcohol and you MAY consume alcoholic beverages while you are carrying.

Please - No Guns and Alcohol Don't Mix!!! comments. They have been posted already 1,000 times before on this forum.

The OP asked what the PA. Law is and I posted it.

There are not drunk, gun toting people NDing and accidentally shooting one another in restaurants all over Pennsylvania. It's a non issue here.
    Pls forgive my tone, but reread my original post. I didn't need the left handed lecture. No one else brought it up but you. I know exactly what Pa is and isn't after spending the first sixty years of my life there. I left because I don't like the weather.

Thanks all for the very helpful info.

Administrator
    Don't get your UnderRoos in a knot.

My comment was not intended for you.

That was meant to be a preemptive strike for the next 60 people that were going to click on this thread of yours just to post that Guns & Alcohol Don't Mix!!! which will then serve no other purpose than toss your question thread completely off topic into yet another endless Guns, Carrying, Drinking, Driving, Alcohol, debate.

That will fill your thread up with..."When I Drink My Guns Stay At Home." "When I'm Home And I Drink Alcohol My Guns Stay Locked Up In My Safe." "I Used To Be An Alcoholic But, I Quit Drinking Alcohol When I Started carrying A Gun Every Day." "I Will Never Even Have A Sip Of Beer When I Carry!" and on and on and on.

Which...(as a forum Administrator) I am attempting to stop before it starts so that the moderators do not need to keep clicking here to make multiple "off topic" post deletes in your thread.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Links