Carry at Church with adjacent school

This is a discussion on Carry at Church with adjacent school within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I go to a fairly large (small) Church, not a mega-church in Memphis TN. By that I mean 200 at each of the two services ...

View Poll Results: Do you carry at Church and got permission or not?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I carry at Church and got permission.

7 20.00%
  • Yes I carry at Church and didn't get permission.

28 80.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Carry at Church with adjacent school

Carry at Church with adjacent school

I go to a fairly large (small) Church, not a mega-church in Memphis TN. By that I mean 200 at each of the two services on Sunday. I think there are 1000 members total. The Church has a preschool through high school. The Church and school are on the same property, but physically separate. The school is closed on Sunday. School enrollment is very small and preschool makes up most of the student body....

With that said I have a carry permit and don't feel compelled to tell anyone, Pastor or fellow parishioners I carry to Sunday service. The Church does not post any signs. I am under the opinion from the state laws public schools are off limits to carry permit holders. Not sure about private schools. Comments, Opinions or facts even better. Bottom line is it legal?

2. Remove Ads

Can't help you, or vote in your poll. Church carry is currently prohibited in Georgia.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Just stay out of the school building I would say. Not sure about the lay out but sounds like they are different locations.
    (4) Springfield Armory XD-40 Sub Compact
    (1) Ruger LC9
    NRA Member

"Molon labe" "From my cold dead hands"

Don't know about your state. Wouldn't be a problem where I live. I always carry in Church, and I'm the Pastor

In Arizona, it's ALL schools, public or private. Your taking a risk. I would imagine that a LEO attends your church. If he spots it, and your in violation, depending on your laws and the charges, you could possible lose your right to carry ANY gun ANY where.

I'd make sure if I were you, and that's not asking a forum.

I don't go to church, but my Grandfather is a pastor and he has never had any issue with members of his congregation carrying during services. In fact... he encourages it with those he knows well.

Re: Carry at Church with adjacent school

Not sure about your state but MN it us illegal to carry within 1k ft of school. So in your case it wouldn't work unless you get permission from Superintendent and executive board of school.

What does TN law say? I'm guessing the answer is no with the co-located school. However, I do carry in church when I'm in VA
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I have carried concealed depending on location and or state, in church. Keep in mind in some states it is illegal by state law. As far as the school is concerned, in any state I have resided, the state laws regarding concealed carry apply to public schools. Any church run school I have seen is a private school, therefore may / do not fall under those laws. They may restrict weapons at their discretion apart from state law. As far as I have understood, If they do not prohibit weapons then you are good to go, but this may be a very good question for a legal expert in your state.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

(b) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(2) A violation of this subsection (b) is a Class E felony.

(c) (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection (c) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

(2) A violation of this subsection (c) is a Class B misdemeanor.

(d) (1) Each chief administrator of a public or private school shall display in prominent locations about the school a sign, at least six inches (6'') high and fourteen inches (14'') wide, stating:

FELONY. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF SIX (6) YEARS IMPRISONMENT AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS ($3,000) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON SCHOOL PROPERTY.

(2) As used in this subsection (d), "prominent locations about a school" includes, but is not limited to, sports arenas, gymnasiums, stadiums and cafeterias.

(e) The provisions of subsections (b) and (c) do not apply to the following persons:

(1) Persons employed in the army, air force, navy, coast guard or marine service of the United States or any member of the Tennessee national guard when in discharge of their official duties and acting under orders requiring them to carry arms or weapons;

(2) Civil officers of the United States in the discharge of their official duties;

(3) Officers and soldiers of the militia and the national guard when called into actual service;

(4) Officers of the state, or of any county, city or town, charged with the enforcement of the laws of the state, when in the discharge of their official duties;

(5) Any pupils who are members of the reserve officers training corps or pupils enrolled in a course of instruction or members of a club or team, and who are required to carry arms or weapons in the discharge of their official class or team duties;

(6) Any private police employed by the administration or board of trustees of any public or private institution of higher education in the discharge of their duties; and

(7) Any registered security guard/officer who meets the requirements of title 62, chapter 35, and who is discharging the officer's official duties.

there are a few members from other sites that have sent questions to the AG about this, he is pretty consistent in saying "if it aint spelled out it aint legal" so I would imagine he wouldn't be on your side here

Can't help you other than to tell you to check your local laws. In TX you can carry in a church. I can't as I am on the security team and the church's insurance will only cover carrying by LEOs. It is one concession/risk I had to think hard about.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

You can legally cc in churches in Delaware, if you are licenced to do so. If you ask permission, the church will probably turn you down due to them being liable at the point they grant you permission to do so.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by HemiCoupl View Post
    there are a few members from other sites that have sent questions to the AG about this, he is pretty consistent in saying "if it aint spelled out it aint legal" so I would imagine he wouldn't be on your side here
    Harummph...Well I heard just recently "anything not specifically specified as being unlawful IS Lawful." Now that is Plain English Not LEGALESE which by the way I do not speak.
    I am not an attorney. TBT I've met just 2 attorneys in my 60 years that I would take on as friends. IMHO most lawyers are just OVER PRICED LIARS. Not the 2 I met.

Personally I think what that AG in HemiCoupl's post is full of MALARKEY. But that's just me. The OP of this thread needs to check the laws of his state or consult an HONEST attorney for the answers he seeks.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Harummph...Well I heard just recently "anything not specifically specified as being unlawful IS Lawful." Now that is Plain English Not LEGALESE which by the way I do not speak.
    I am not an attorney. TBT I've met just 2 attorneys in my 60 years that I would take on as friends. IMHO most lawyers are just OVER PRICED LIARS. Not the 2 I met.

Personally I think what that AG in HemiCoupl's post is full of MALARKEY. But that's just me. The OP of this thread needs to check the laws of his state or consult an HONEST attorney for the answers he seeks.

I posted the law, the comment about the AG was opinion on my part

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links