Carry two?

This is a discussion on Carry two? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been reading some of ya'lls posts and from what it sounds like, a CCW permit doesn't specify the kind of weapon you carry, a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry two?

Carry two?

I've been reading some of ya'lls posts and from what it sounds like, a CCW permit doesn't specify the kind of weapon you carry, a person could rock a Glock one day and a NAA pocket pistol the next. What about having two on one's person at the same time? Are there restrictions to that, or is it a state-by-state kind of thing. I see no cause to regulate something like that, but neither do I see a cause to regulate rate of fire; it doesn't mean its not the case. Any advice on dual carry legallity and practicallity would make my day. Thanks.

Twin.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I haven't seen any in the North Dakota Century Code. When I'm walking at night I usually have a couple of BUGS
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

When I lived in Calif., the license had the specific firearms I had qualified with, and those were the only ones allowable for carry. Silly, but true.

Here in Oregon, it's a handgun license, so that pretty much rules out rifle calibers. But so far as I know everything else goes.

Can't imagine any state would restrict the number you carry, but then here we are having a discussion about licensing in the first place. I suppose it's done somewhere. Yes, your state's provisions are what you need to be concerned with.

I carry a primary and a backup, or just the backup whenever it's all that can remain concealed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

In Minnesota, You can carry what you want, when you want and as many as you want. Generally it is 2 all the time!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Back up guns

In most states of the US, a carry permit does not restrict you to one gun - so carrying two concealed guns is legal.

I believe that law enforcement will frequently carry two guns while on duty - one larger primary gun and a smaller backup gun hidden elsewhere on the body. And the nature of the law enforcement job probably makes this a good idea.

As for civilians with a permit, the carrying of a backup is not a common thing, but some do it. My impression from comments I have heard is that maybe 90% plus of civilian carriers only carry one gun, perhaps with a backup magazine or speed loader. Carrying two guns is a lot more trouble than carrying one, of course.

Lead Moderator
    Some states do not regulate it, others do.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    In Indiana, you can carry as many as you wish.

At one point in my life I had reason to carry three - a Taurus 9mm, a really nice S&W M19 (pinned and recessed) that I'm still kicking myself years later for selling, and a small .22 bug.

Currently I only carry a couple, primary for my left hand (I'm ambidextrous with preference for my left hand) and the .380 for my right. I figure if my primary goes down that means that my primary arm could also be down, but none of this precludes two-handed shooting.

Josh <><

Thanks, I'll keep looking. CCW9mm, you're right, having to get a permit to practice the right to bare arms is like getting a license to go to church. I don't think I'd make a habbit of multi gun carry, but it is good to know that it might not be illeagal.

As others have said, it depends on your state. If your state has a true CCW law then they do not restrict what types of weapons you carry nor the number of those weapons you carry at any particular time. In many circumstances it would make sense to carry a primary and a BUG. In most cases, it's not practical unless you have a very small gun to do it.

If you plan on carrying two large caliber guns IWB, you need to get pants that can fit both being on there at the same time. If you carry one on the ankle, you need to get an ankle holster as well as pants with legs large enough on the ankle section to hide it. Some people make the effort to carry two, most do not. The majority of CCW'rs only carry one gun, but usually have a backup weapon which is usually a folding knife of some kind.

Cheers.

Two is illegal in some states. Check local laws.
    One other thought. Mr. Fish of Arizona was convicted earlierthis year in AZ of 2nd degree murder is what he called a "good" self defense shooting. The juror's said later that the "evidence" the DA presented that Mr. Fish used a 10mm handgun (he described it as more powerful that what the Police carry) and HP bullets had a great influence on finding him guilty. One can only imagine what the DA would have made of Mr. Fish carrying two guns (if he had been).
    As I said, just a thought.

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    Then again there's always the "Why have airbags if I wear my seatbelt?" argument.

Josh <><

Nothing to prevent me from carrying 2 or more guns here could carry a 1911 with a back up glock and back up wheelie if i had the room to do so

But will depend on your state

In Kentucky you can carry as many as you want, or just one.

It's all good in Idaho
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    No mention of limits in Tennessee law, either as to type of handgun or numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links