Roadside rest area

This is a discussion on Roadside rest area within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Handgunlaw.us says that carrying in a roadside rest area in Tennessee with a permit is okay as long as it isn't posted. What law governs ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Roadside rest area

Roadside rest area

Handgunlaw.us says that carrying in a roadside rest area in Tennessee with a permit is okay as long as it isn't posted. What law governs this?

2. Remove Ads

Try this link Handgun Carry Permit Frequently Asked Questions

I was just there for a week and only saw two no gun signs. Tennessee is a gun friendly state in my opinion. My favorite place to visit.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Since all your posts seem to seek specific Tennessee Code annotations, perhaps you should hire a legal aide to look up all these notations for you.
    Jetfuelrm, KBSR and jem102 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Have already looked there and just looked again. Nothing seems to point to a state law against it so I guess that is the answer...

GH
    Are your rest areas considered state parks? If so then possibly the rules for those will apply. If they're regulated by your Dept. of Transportation (or equivalent) then they should be the ones to ask.

I've always been of the school that says don't ask if there's a rule if nothing is specifically spelled out. The answer will undoubtedly be "no".
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I'm confused If there is a no gun sign in Tennessee you must abide by it, if there is not one carry on. I was in GSMNP and up until I went into a store in the park I was ok. There was a no gun sign posted so I put it in my car and went in.
    "As a strong supporter of our 2nd Amendment rights, I believe tougher enforcement of our nation's existing gun laws must be done before any more laws are enacted and put on the books."
    Jeff Miller

Suggest you join the TN Handgun Owners forum www.tngunowners.org for specific answers to TN law rather than a "national" forum since there is a "jungle" of various state laws. For instance, TN is a Handgun Carry Permit--either way is ok as the legislature didn't specify open or concealed.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was youner

Roadside rest areas are wretched hives of scum and villany. If i HAVE to go to one it's a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" scenario for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    ...wretched hives of scum and villany.
    Quite eloquent.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boudin View Post
    Roadside rest areas are wretched hives of scum and villany. If i HAVE to go to one it's a "better to ask forgiveness than permission" scenario for me.
    Why would ANYONE EVER stop at a rest area when there is a McDonald's at about every exit on the highway before and after the rest stop.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Roadside rest area

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Why would ANYONE EVER stop at a rest area when there is a McDonald's at about every exit on the highway before and after the rest stop.
    That depends, what's safer roadside rest area or McDonald's. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    dben002, DJC7 and gregnsc like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    I suppose the answer to the above is to some extent personal preference and time of day.

I've driven across the width of TN from Memphis to VA. There are plenty of exits with
    decent enough places where you can use a restroom, not just McDs but places like the Pilot Chain that
    has everything from fuel to food, to showers, to all manner of stuff you might need from Tylenol to
    a pre-paid cell phone.

I've also stopped at the rest stops along the way. Typically they have been pretty good actually, and
    surprisingly so.

I-40 has plenty of traffic during the day and there are usually enough cars, trucks, and sometimes
    State Troopers at the rest stops that they appear safe.

I can't speak for any roadway other than I-40 and 81? but these are not my idea of concerning
    places.

I have lower opinions of the interstate rest stop situation in several other states, but that isn't
    on topic.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Ask the tennessee State Police or Gun laws for the State of Tennessee. There are many very knowledgeable people on this forum, but it is a public forum. When it comes to questions that not having the right answer to could land you in jail, better to go directly to the sourse, The gun laws of your State.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfuelrm View Post
    I'm confused If there is a no gun sign in Tennessee you must abide by it, if there is not one carry on. I was in GSMNP and up until I went into a store in the park I was ok. There was a no gun sign posted so I put it in my car and went in.
    This is the correct answer.
    Jetfuelrm likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

I thought it was also considering I have read it at least 50 times thanks for confirming it and btw jem102 love the state and the people
    Jeff Miller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links