Question about pro-CCW business policy.

Question about pro-CCW business policy.

This is a discussion on Question about pro-CCW business policy. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mods: not really sure where the best place to put this...so if it needs to be moved then sorry about that and thanks. Strange question ...

Question Question about pro-CCW business policy.

Mods: not really sure where the best place to put this...so if it needs to be moved then sorry about that and thanks.

Strange question for you guys...long post to explain.

OK, so first let me give you a bit of background...I've been working as a contractor / consultant on and off for about 5-6 years now and I'm planning on doing a bit more work of this type in the future since I'm raising our children and my wife works...haven't done much work since baby #1 was born last year, baby #2 is on the way...I can do a small volume of business from home quite easilly the way we have it now but I am unwilling to leave our child in daycare and my wife's job is better suited to providing for us than my line of work.

So anyway, now that you have my life story , I'm updating my webpage and have a question for you guys. I would like to be able to provide a discount to the people that help our community...firefighters, police, EMTs, military, and you guessed it people with a concealed carry permit. Only problem is that I can't really find a way to work it into the site. Is this even reasonable? I'm confident that I won't loose business from the decision so that's not a major concern since I get most of my business from word of mouth.

So, finding a way to work it in is a concern, the other concern is the type of business doesn't really have anything to do with saving lives or public service at all...myself and my two partners split work part time doing things like graphic design, web design, greeting cards, holiday cards, printing, product photographic services, etc, etc, etc...basically a "media" business. So it might seem kind of odd to have the discount there due to the nature of business. But on the other hand I would like to give back a little bit if you know what I mean.

Was thinking of something subtle and/or simple....say there is a link on the homepage that says "Discounts" you click on it and it just says something about how we offer a discount to the brave men and women who help make this country what it is (or some other wording, that was just off the top of my head)...and then provide a list of peope we would give discounts to
    *Police Officers
    *Military Personnel
    *CCW holders
    *xxx
    *yyy
    *zzz

My reasoning behind this is there just seem to be too many business that have made policies against CCW. I, on the other hand, would like to encourage it. What do you think? Would you personally be more willing to purchase a product from a company that openly supports CCW or would it not matter as much to you?

Assistant Administrator
    The ideas is laudable - and yes I think many folks would prefer dealing with pro 2A type businesses.

Prob' as I see it is how to achieve verification, so as to avoid freeloaders cashing in. That would require some way of securing some personal info - that in itself could be tedious plus - not everyone wants to give out such info.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Maybe a mention of (Ask about Discounts for NRA,GOA members)

You could insert any of your favorite "gun" groups.

Just a thought. That way, the presentation of a membership card, or a couple of carefully worded questions, could weed out the imposters. Those who support gun rights should know a little about guns, and 2A.

FWIW
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    That would require some way of securing some personal info - that in itself could be tedious plus - not everyone wants to give out such info.
    That would be a problem. Without requiring a copy of verifying paperwork (paystub, CCW permit, etc.) there'd most likely be those trying to cheat the system.

Since you design your products to the customer's spec's, you do have some interaction with them prior to giving a quote, right? Maybe you could have them submit a copy of the qualifying document(s) with their personal info (street address etc.) blocked out. Then again, you're going to need their home address anyway....

And, would you include EMT's and firefighters?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly i would just say " We offer discounts for public service personell and members of some pro 2a groups , please contact us for specific discount " and leave it at that .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Personaly i would just say " We offer discounts for public service personell and members of some pro 2a groups , please contact us for specific discount " and leave it at that .
    This one is a good one

Are you trying to say that dispatchers aren't included?! lol j/k The only problem that I see about the discounts is when you come into contact with someone that works for an agency like mine. My department specifically does not allow us to use our position or employment for discounts or free stuff and many agencies are like that.

We had a local restaurant that was doing a "law enforcement Mondays" thing saying that if you "show us your LE ID, you get 15% off the total price". Big no-no. It was fine if we were on duty and in uniform the people could easily guess who we worked for, but if you were off-duty, you couldn't show your ID to prove you worked for LE. Great idea and greatly appreciated, but impossible to do on our part. We told them of our restrictions and they just made it a point to know all of us who worked in LE.

Now, before I worked in LE, I did computer/Internet security for years and years. A huge portion of my business was word of mouth as you said yours is. This could be an advantage because you could find out their employment and affiliations before you even do anything for them. Might be a better way to find out who is who, you know?

Cheers.

Though what you are thinking about is highly commendable I think the business side of giving this many discounts to various people is not wise. You may discount yourself out of work. I would rather give regular customers discount after so many jobs or money spent thus encouraging them to return to you.

Striving for Perfection
    Accepting Excellence

This will get you business.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

This business is 2A friendly, ask us about it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

This Should Do It...

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    This business is 2A friendly, ask us about it.
    Simple...to the point...and clearly understood!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Show me your gun and get a discount!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Yikes! lol

Links