Wife getting concealed going to carry!!!

This is a discussion on Wife getting concealed going to carry!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I started carring about three years ago. My wife was hessitant about it at first. Slowly she accepted the fact that I carried and ...

Like Tree12Likes
  • 3 Post By SPSTAURUS
  • 1 Post By SPSTAURUS
  • 5 Post By NCSoxFan
  • 1 Post By accessbob
  • 2 Post By acepilot

Thread: Wife getting concealed going to carry!!!

Wife getting concealed going to carry!!!

So I started carring about three years ago. My wife was hessitant about it at first. Slowly she accepted the fact that I carried and eventualy liked the fact that I carried for our protection. She at no time though wanted anything to do with my gun or even learning to shoot. Within the last few months she has slowly started to mention interest in learning how to shoot. I bought a TCP .380 a few months back, yesterday was her birthday. I decided to test the waters and picked up a CCP application and gave her the TCP. Her first comment was she would have to find a concealed carry purse!!! Woohoo!!! She wants to keep it in my pistol safe next to my bed until she gets comfortable with it, but what a turn around!!! I couldn't be happier. She has really jump on support of the 2nd and gun ownership. Looks like I found a new shooting buddy, and a better looking one at that!!! Hahaha!!!
    DJC7, blanco64 and Jeanlouise like this.

2. Remove Ads

GH
    Wow! That's great. Now you'll have someone to watch your back while you're reloading. Teach her to hit the ten ring with the first shot & conserve ammo, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Now to find a handgun training class to attend with her. I can teach her the basics, but sometimes these are best coming from a trained professional.
    First Sgt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    Wow! That's great. Now you'll have someone to watch your back while you're reloading. Teach her to hit the ten ring with the first shot & conserve ammo, lol.
    No doubt, it only holds 6+1. I'm going to put a laser sight on it just because the sights on it now are really small. Eventually would like to get her something a little bigger, but it's a start.

GH
    Also teach her rapid magazine changes & get her a few spares & carrying cases for them. I'll be dropping from a 14+1 mag to a 10+1 mag when my gun ever arrives at the gun store so I already have plans on carrying the spare 2 mags instead of the one spare that I now carry. I'll increase my basic load from 29 to 31 rounds. Will I ever need them? I sincerely hope not, lol.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Nice job getting her on board. Of course my wife would agree to carry just about anything if it meant she got to buy a new purse.

Distinguished Member
    Good to hear. Take her shooting - A LOT - to get used to it and to get better at shooting it.

Two years ago my wife didn't even like guns. Now, two years later (it actually was one year later for her CHL) she has her CHL and carries a 9mm S&W Shield and also a 9mm Cobra derringer. We go shooting fairly regularly and she loves her Shield.
    SPSTAURUS likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by SPSTAURUS View Post
    So I started carring about three years ago. My wife was hessitant about it at first. Slowly she accepted the fact that I carried and eventualy liked the fact that I carried for our protection. She at no time though wanted anything to do with my gun or even learning to shoot. Within the last few months she has slowly started to mention interest in learning how to shoot. I bought a TCP .380 a few months back, yesterday was her birthday. I decided to test the waters and picked up a CCP application and gave her the TCP. Her first comment was she would have to find a concealed carry purse!!! Woohoo!!! She wants to keep it in my pistol safe next to my bed until she gets comfortable with it, but what a turn around!!! I couldn't be happier. She has really jump on support of the 2nd and gun ownership. Looks like I found a new shooting buddy, and a better looking one at that!!! Hahaha!!!
    Almost identical to my story, except we just got CCW in WI about a year ago and I got my CCW. About a month ago, my wife expressed an interest in getting her CCW and applied for it and got it in about a week. She was "chilly" about my CCW and gun at first. So, this past Saturday we bought a Sig SP2022 at the gun show for her. I'm thinking she got the better deal as I only got a Ruger SR9c. Mind, you, I love my 9c and am NOT complaining. The good news is my wife wants to be sure we're not stopping just because we both have our CCW guns now. And she even said it's my turn for another gun. I'm torn between the new Ruger SR45 and a Ruger 10/22. I suppose I really should get a .22 rifle for plinking rabbits for chow if the economy goes T.U. (bad) and we need to supplement the freezer supply.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Now to find a handgun training class to attend with her. I can teach her the basics, but sometimes these are best coming from a trained professional.
    +1. My wife will listen to a stranger, but not to me.

Ace
    BurgerBoy and SPSTAURUS like this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Congrats to you and the wife...Enjoy your "range dates"...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I decided to test the waters and picked up a CCP application and gave her the TCP. Her first comment was she would have to find a concealed carry purse!!! Woohoo!!!
    Don't rain on her parade, but please don't let her assume that purse carry is her only option, or even a good option. On-body carry is highly preferable for several reasons, and is very "doable" with the variety of gun and holster options available today - even for women.

That said - congrats on getting her interested, and good luck going forward!
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

I do plan on slowly talking to her about carrying on her person. Just glad that she has made this decision.

Any start is a good start. Doubt my wife will ever have the desire to carry. She couldn't be any more apathetic towards guns.

Good luck to you and your wife on the journey!
    Don't mess with Texas.

Seriously, don't even think about it.

Links