My yearly cost for CPL

My yearly cost for CPL

This is a discussion on My yearly cost for CPL within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently renewed my CPL and it cost me $75 to update my CPL Certificate ($50 for classroom and $25 for ammo) which is required. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: My yearly cost for CPL

My yearly cost for CPL

I recently renewed my CPL and it cost me $75 to update my CPL Certificate ($50 for classroom and $25 for ammo) which is required. I needed a passport picture at $10 and the cost of CPL license was $105 for five years. It was 62 miles from home to classroom/range to Walgreens to county seat to home. That equates to about four gallons of gas or about $15. That's a one day total of $205 - let's round it off to an even $200 and call it $40 a year. I probably get to the range about 12 times a year or once a month, cost of range time is $7 per person, per half hour. I usually take my wife and our granddaughter will go occasionally, cost $21 to $28 per trip. I have five hand guns and normally will shoot them all. I have never reached 300 rounds in a trip but am always close to the 200 round average at todays prices 50 cents a shot (I shoot 40 cal, 44 mag, 357 mag and 38's - primarily 40 cal -2 of those). So ammo cost is $100 per trip. The range is 36 mile round trip 2- 2 1/2 gallons of gas or $9 per trip. Trip to range $25 Range time + $100 ammo + $9 gas = $134 per trip x 12 trips = $1608 per year + the $40 for CPL = $1648 per year. Not complaining, just wondering what every on else is paying. Sorry if this has bee posted before or is in the wrong forum.

Heck, February isn't over and I'm at about half of that already.

I shoot a .40 cal
    150 rounds per trip, 1.5 trips per week on average, .35 cents per round on average, = 52.50 per trip or $530.00 so far this year.

Wife shoots 9mm
    150 rounds per trip, 1.5 trips per week, .26 cents a round = $39 per trip or $270.00 (rounded down).

75 miles round trip = 3 gallons = $10 per trip or about $70.00

total, not including targets, membership, two CCW classes, two handgun basics classes for my wife, handgun basics II for me (I skipped the first one) etc, $830.00 since January 1.

Holy crap! Maybe I shouldn't have figured this out!

I thought MI renewal CPL was cheaper than the initial cost of $105. I knew about the partial refresher course needed, but that the renewal was only like $50-65 something like that.

GH
    What is protection worth?, lol. Then subtract the fun value of shooting. Priceless. I'd like to see everyone recalculate their cost when you now have to buy ammo at inflated prices & gasoline continuing to go up as much as it is.

At this time a CCL in WI costs $50 initially including $13 for the background check & $27 for renewal after 5 years. No range time required. No classes required for Veterans. Relatively cheap here.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Quote Originally Posted by tjwheels View Post
    I recently renewed my CPL and it cost me $75 to update my CPL Certificate ($50 for classroom and $25 for ammo) which is required. I needed a passport picture at $10 and the cost of CPL license was $105 for five years. It was 62 miles from home to classroom/range to Walgreens to county seat to home. That equates to about four gallons of gas or about $11. That's a one day total of $201 - let's round it off to an even $200 and call it $40 a year. I probably get to the range about 12 times a year or once a month, cost of range time is $7 per person, per half hour. I usually take my wife and our granddaughter will go occasionally, cost $21 to $28 per trip. I have five hand guns and normally will shoot them all. I have never reached 300 rounds in a trip but am always close to the 200 round average at todays prices 50 cents a shot (I shoot 40 cal, 44 mag, 357 mag and 38's - primarily 40 cal -2 of those). So ammo cost is $100 per trip. The range is 36 mile round trip 2- 2 1/2 gallons of gas or $7 per trip. Trip to range $25 Range time + $100 ammo + $7 gas = $132 per trip x 12 trips = $1584 per year + the $40 for CPL = $1624 per year. Not complaining, just wondering what every on else is paying. Sorry if this has bee posted before or is in the wrong forum.
    $11 for 4 gallons of gas? What year are you talking about?

In all seriousness, in WI your concealed carry license (CCL) is valid for 5 years. The upfront cost was $50 for the CCL. I spent $75 of a firearms safety course in order to qualify to get a CCL. $125 for 5 years, not bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJ View Post
    I thought MI renewal CPL was cheaper than the initial cost of $105. I knew about the partial refresher course needed, but that the renewal was only like $50-65 something like that.
    Nope, just renewed recently. $105 in Eaton County. They have changed the expiration date to your birthday, so your next renewal is at least four years away but not longer than five years depending on your original license date.

$11 for 4 gallons of gas? What year are you talking about?

A sleep at the wheel, thanks for pointing that out - I have made the corrections.
    Last edited by tjwheels; February 25th, 2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: correction of price

Distinguished Member
    I'm not going to go figure it out. It would be too depressing. I just will remain willfully ignorant of the actual total cost.
    Aceoky likes this.
    EDC - Glock 21C, M&P Shield .40 OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Wow ... I didnt realize clicking on this thread I was gonna have to think. You are one dedicated gun enthusiast.

Maybe you should just get shotgun and fire 2 blasts off the front porch like Joe does. Certainly a lot cheaper.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

When I got my MI cpl I was told no refresher course was required. Just the cost to renew the licence which is the $105 fee. My instructor even told us that his training certificate was good for life and had no kind of expiration date. He said anyone telling you that you need to go back to them for training at renewal time is just trying to get more money out of you. I know about the range time requirement but no proof of that is needed beyond a sworn statement by the cpl holder. Did something change?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    When I got my MI cpl I was told no refresher course was required. Just the cost to renew the licence which is the $105 fee. My instructor even told us that his training certificate was good for life and had no kind of expiration date. He said anyone telling you that you need to go back to them for training at renewal time is just trying to get more money out of you. I know about the range time requirement but no proof of that is needed beyond a sworn statement by the cpl holder. Did something change?
    Below is taken from the MSP website, you do not have to prove it but it is required and you do need to sign that you complied.

For a renewal of a license issued after July 1, 2001, the applicant must sign a statement certifying that he or she has completed at least 3 hours of review of the required training and has had at least 1 hour of firing range time in the last 6 months preceding the application. This statement appears on the Concealed Pistol License Application.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwheels View Post
    Below is taken from the MSP website, you do not have to prove it but it is required and you do need to sign that you complied.

For a renewal of a license issued after July 1, 2001, the applicant must sign a statement certifying that he or she has completed at least 3 hours of review of the required training and has had at least 1 hour of firing range time in the last 6 months preceding the application. This statement appears on the Concealed Pistol License Application.

You stated that you had to pay $50 for classroom time when you renewed your CPL. To my knowledge, there is no reason why anyone is required to get certified training for a renewal, only for the initial application. I was told by my instructor (NRA-certified, ex-detroit police) that the "review" of your training is going over your notes (you made notes, right?), not necessarily paying for another training class.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_C View Post
    You stated that you had to pay $50 for classroom time when you renewed your CPL. To my knowledge, there is no reason why anyone is required to get certified training for a renewal, only for the initial application. I was told by my instructor (NRA-certified, ex-detroit police) that the "review" of your training is going over your notes (you made notes, right?), not necessarily paying for another training class.
    I didn't say I had to pay someone, I said you need to complete this requirement. It was my decision to take the class from a NRA instructor. I'm not sure what the application refers to when it reads "3 hours of review", it very well good be going over your notes . But what was involved in my refresher class were primarily things that have changed since my original certificate was issued. After my class was finished my instructor took my original certificate and updated my training and signed it with his credentials. I do know this, the application has a section that refers only to this requirement and also requires a signature in that section. You then have to sign it in front of a witness that under oath you have answered each question truthfully. I will add they did not ask for proof that I complied with the 3 hours of review and 1 hour of range time. It was I that asked if they wanted my updated certificate which they did copy and return.

Fair enough. I just wondered if some new requirements were in place that I didn't know about. Seems everything is still the way I remember it!

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    Wow ... I didnt realize clicking on this thread I was gonna have to think. You are one dedicated gun enthusiast.

Maybe you should just get shotgun and fire 2 blasts off the front porch like Joe does. Certainly a lot cheaper.
    Hahaha, but where I live, firing off 2 shotgun blasts in the air is probably going to lead to a hefty lawyer fee and up to 3 years in jail with up to a $100k fine..
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links