My wife's first trip to the range!

This is a discussion on My wife's first trip to the range! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife was abducted and robbed at gunpoint 3 years ago, and since then she has started to carry a Taser, but has always stated ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: My wife's first trip to the range!

My wife was abducted and robbed at gunpoint 3 years ago, and since then she has started to carry a Taser, but has always stated that guns make her nervous and wouldn't want to carry one.

The same event is what first got me interested in concealed carry, and I've been going to the range ever since, but she has never shown any interest in going with me, and considering what she has been through, I've always given her plenty of space on this issue.

Recently, though, she was talking with a friend from work, and the girl said that she and her husband had been on a date to the shooting range the night before; it was only her second time going. My wife told me about it, and I casually mentioned that we should all go on a double date soon.

Well, Saturday morning, we both got babysitters and met at the range. My wife had never fired a handgun before in her life, but she shot a Ruger .22 match pistol, my LC9, an HK P30, a Sig 229, and even an M&P AR-style .22! We had a great time, and before we left, she and her friend from work were already making plans for the next time.

On the way home, she told me that she wants to take a defensive shooting class for women with her friend, and then she'd like to start looking at carry guns herself. What a great weekend! Sometimes all it takes is a little nudge from the right person, I guess.
    DJC7, blanco64, gasmitty and 4 others like this.

Good for you two. I was in the same situation. We are taking our carry class in a few weeks together. She wants to go to the range every weekend so we have been. You will have a new thing to share together that is awesome. My wife will not go to bed unless she has her piece next to her

VIP Member
    Peer pressure can be both good and bad. In this case it was a good thing. Congrats and get ready to spend a fortune in guns for her!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Peer pressure can be both good and bad. In this case it was a good thing. Congrats and get ready to spend a fortune in guns for her!
    You got that right! I never shot a gun in my life before last September when I got a CCW license. Since then we've bought a Benelli Shotgun, a Kahr, a Glock, 2 Taurus and a Walther .22. Next will be a Ruger 10/22.
    Making up for lost time has been so much fun!

Congratulations to your wife on going to the range! Get out the wallet
    BurgerBoy and gasmitty like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Congratulations to your wife...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Sounds like you did everything right!

No pressure - but make the most of an opportunity by setting up a FUN shoot (match grade Ruger .22 is FUN!) - help get her some professional training - THEN let her pick out her OWN gun - you should proud of her AND yourself!

Good job!
    "...people who carry a gun understand that they are arming themselves against a very unlikely event... People who arm themselves are not confused about the odds. They are concerned about the stakes. -Kathy Jackson
    NRA Life Member

Congrats to your wife for making the leap! And also kudos to you for being a loving supportive partner. That is such a blessedly rare trait to find in a partner these days.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    This is true. My DH is going through the same process right now. I have terrible "seagull" syndrome ("Oh look, shiny!") when it comes to firearms and all shooting related things. It took me forever to find a gun that felt really good in my small hands, but still had manageable recoil. And wait until she finds out about all the great accessories!

By the way, you might consider suggesting she look into (or buy it for her) the book The Cornered Cat by Kathy Jackson. I know that's kinda the go-to female book, but it's that way for a reason. She brings up scenarios and issues that I never would've thought of as a novice shooter, nor would my husband (an expert marksman) because men and women are *gasp* different.

I hope you enjoy your new "together" hobby for years to come!
    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way." - V. Frankl

Quote Originally Posted by SweetVanity View Post
    By the way, you might consider suggesting she look into (or buy it for her) the book The Cornered Cat by Kathy Jackson.
    Thanks! I've read bits of articles from the website to her before, but I hadn't thought about buying the book. I'll do that!

Congrats on the successful trip to the range! Both my wife and I are new to shooting, she, like your wife has had a fear of guns. We've been really fortunate to have been recently been taken under the wing of a guy I used to work with (who has over 20 years experience shooting).

Keep us posted on how things go, and what you/she ends up buying!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by cf18 View Post
    Thanks! I've read bits of articles from the website to her before, but I hadn't thought about buying the book. I'll do that!
    If you have an Kindle or iPhone/iPad with the Kindle app, you can download a free sample of the book -- I believe its about 50-80 pages worth. That's what I did, because I was really skeptical. Needless to say, I read it and then immediately got the full version about an hour later.
    Her chapter on dressing rooms and bathrooms alone was genius!
    "Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way." - V. Frankl

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanlouise View Post
    You got that right! I never shot a gun in my life before last September when I got a CCW license. Since then we've bought a Benelli Shotgun, a Kahr, a Glock, 2 Taurus and a Walther .22. Next will be a Ruger 10/22.
    Making up for lost time has been so much fun!

Congratulations to your wife on going to the range! Get out the wallet
    Jeanlouise, women like you and the OP's wife are the best ambassadors for opening the minds of those who think ill of guns and shooting!
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

A good couple of defensive courses can do a world of good. +1 on that ... as often as you can afford it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That is GREAT to hear. My wife takes her CCW course tomorrow and Wednesday night. She was so worried about qualifying, but we've gone to the range three or four times over the last week and a half, and her shooting has drastically improved. I asked her if she thinks she'll qualify now and she laughed at me.

It's a great thing. Hope you really enjoy your new found sport together.

Congrats to your wife and to you for introducing shooting to her in a good way!. We need more women in the gun/shooting arena!
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    Congrats on the successful trip to the range! Both my wife and I are new to shooting, she, like your wife has had a fear of guns. We've been really fortunate to have been recently been taken under the wing of a guy I used to work with (who has over 20 years experience shooting).

Keep us posted on how things go, and what you/she ends up buying!

Dan
    Welcome to the forum from another Coloradoan!
    ἐν τούτῳ νίκα - In hoc signo vinces

Confidence- thrives on honesty, on honor, on the sacredness of obligations, on faithful protection and on unselfish performance. Without them it cannot live.-FDR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links