CCW- Always the same gun or do alternate between guns?

This is a discussion on CCW- Always the same gun or do alternate between guns? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just curious; to those of you that CCW do you always carry the same gun or do you alternate between guns? I guess I don't ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: CCW- Always the same gun or do alternate between guns?

CCW- Always the same gun or do alternate between guns?

Just curious; to those of you that CCW do you always carry the same gun or do you alternate between guns? I guess I don't mean just grabbing a pocket gun when you run out to check the mail. More like, when you strap on a gun to start your day, will it always be the same one? And to those of you that have several carry guns, are they all in the same "family" or style of gun?

The reason I ask is because for the first 20 years that I had a CCW permit I pretty much always carried a Browning Hi-Power in Condition One. The BHP is relatively svelt for a full sized service pistol, but even so, it's large enough that sometimes I would just skip carrying altogether. Recently, in part due to some high profile mass shootings, I recommitted myself to the task of carrying everywhere it's legal to do so. Part of this journey has led me to pick up a few other guns that are a bit smaller than the ol' BHP. The first of these was a Bersa BP9CC. It's been completely reliable (ie goes bang every time) but the trigger isn't great and I don't shoot it nearly as well as the Hi-Power. However, it's very thin & light and easy to conceal. My most recent purchase was a Beretta Nano. I love the feel but haven't yet taken it to the range.

It's all well and good to have some smaller guns that still fire a 9mm, but there's one potential issue- both of these guns are striker fired. After years of C1 carry I'm not sure about splitting my time between such different types of guns. One school of thought is that constant practice with all of them will drill the specifics of each gun into muscle memory, and I'll automatically default to the proper manual of arms for each. Of course, another possibility is that someday I'll be carrying the BHP when the SHTF and I'll forget to wipe the safety off when I draw.

How do you folks handle this dilemma?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I carry various handguns depending on the need. From 1911's and BHP's to Glocks, M&P's and SIG's. I still carry a J frame or Detective Special on occasion. Except for the 1911 everything is 9mm.

The main thing is when I change types I take a few minutes and wire my brain and butt together to make sure that I am prepared to use that particular weapon.

I am a contractor so there is no telling what I will be issued. So far depending on the contract it has been Beretta's, CZ's, BHP and Glocks so I have to be able to operate them interchangeably.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I usually carry an XD40 SC. I also will use a Bodyguard 380, depending on weather/situation and how I have to dress. I don't use the safety on the Bodyguard for the exact reason mentioned -- don't want to "remember" in a high stress situation. Obviously I use a pocket carry holster that covers the trigger guard.

I have 4 "carry guns"... I carry Commander-sized 1911's, exclusively. I rotate them out now and then, but it's always the same platform, same controls, same trigger pull, same load... consistency is good...and it is the easiest path to proficiency. It works for me, and personal preference is the way to go.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Distinguished Member
    I decided that I wanted the same gun, same position, same holster - muscle memory for my EDC.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

I like the idea of sticking to guns that can be carried cocked and locked, but pragmatically I'm drawn to the idea of different guns for different roles. Especially the Nano. Obviously I can't say yet if it's going to be reliable since I haven't taken it to the range yet, but if it does run well it's hard to imagine not carrying it.

EDC is usually the LCR .38Sp in a Galco pocket holster.

Just as a change of pace I may carry the Bersa .380 in a slide owb holster.

Rarely I might go with the Sig P220C in pancake holster, that thing gets heavy
    but if I'm heading to the range to shoot .45s I might slip it on.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

VIP Member
    I have a Glock 17 chopped down to a 19 which I carry all the time. I have a 19 which I often carry as a bug. Those are the only two I carry edc. I also have a Smith & Wesson M&P full-sized 9mm which may soon enter into a rotation.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    While I may vary my carry gun I carry in the same positions. Main carry is 1 o'clock AIWB (XDsc or service) with left front pocket carry (LCP or j-frame). As to how I carry those guns I like the two pull system, (when I pull the gun and want to pull the trigger and the gun go bang)
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Ruger sr40c same holster, same place everyday...

GH
    Unfortunately I don't have the "problem" of choosing which gun to carry at any given time. I only have one. Shortly (I hope) that will change soon.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Re: CCW- Always the same gun or do alternate between guns?

I have a sig sp2022 and a keltec pf9 that I alternate. Thinking about getting a pocket gun to carry while I have my scrubs on as even the keltec pulls them down.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I have lots of very different tools to fit a variety of circumstances.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    I have 4 "carry guns"... I carry Commander-sized 1911's, exclusively. I rotate them out now and then, but it's always the same platform, same controls, same trigger pull, same load... consistency is good...and it is the easiest path to proficiency. It works for me, and personal preference is the way to go.
    +1...though I really enjoy shooting my other guns, my 1911's get all the carry duty. No adjustment between my Colt Defender and Kimber Pro Raptor...natural draw, point, and shoot are the same for both. Like usmcj said, consistency and proficiency.

Almost always, my Glock-36, but on occasion, my Ruger SP101...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links