What should be my priority: Belt, Night Sights, Training, Other?

This is a discussion on What should be my priority: Belt, Night Sights, Training, Other? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So given that my "allowance" is $50/month, and each of these things cost about $100, it will take about 2 mos. to save for each ...

View Poll Results: Belt, Night sights, Training, Other?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • A good carry belt

29 53.70%
  • night sights

1 1.85%
  • Advanced training

21 38.89%
  • Other

4 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: What should be my priority: Belt, Night Sights, Training, Other?

What should be my priority: Belt, Night Sights, Training, Other?

So given that my "allowance" is $50/month, and each of these things cost about $100, it will take about 2 mos. to save for each of these things. What should be my priority? A good gun belt? Night sights? Advanced training? Something else?

And if you could give a reason why, that would be awesome! TIA.

2. Remove Ads

Well it depends on how much training you have?
    Do you currently have a carry system or not?
    Do you have a need for night sights?

So you should get a belt because after all you do want/need to carry your gun plus you have to hold your pants up. :)
    Also you can never have enough training. Then you can focus on night sights?
    sensei2 likes this.

VIP Member
    I put down a good belt, since it was the first item on Mike's Hierarchy Of Carrying Needs which you listed. I assume you already have a reliable edc handgun and satisfactory holster, since you listed neither.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Haha!

Ok, so I have a Theis IWB hybrid holster, and I have a belt from a dept. store. It's pretty flimsy, meaning I can easily fold it in half. I carry at the 3:00 position as I find it provides the least amount of printing. My pants sag a bit over time. I have to cinch the belt down quite a bit to get it stay put.

Aside from my cfp class, I zero amount of training. My main concern is that the training won't be very good, thus a waste of money that might be better spent. However, one of my resolutions (both for the new year and to carry concealed) is more training.

When outside at night, I cannot see my sights. But Beretta is sold out of night sights at the moment.

I'm sure I'm missing some other piece of the puzzle.

What is this Mike's Hierachy of needs that you speak of?

IMHO and i'm not an expert by any means nor do I claim to be, but you can put the best equipment at whatever position you want and if you don't know how/ don't have the muscle memory to use it why bother?

Based on the question you've asked I voted for more training. The more training you have the better you'll become at establishing your own priorities for how to best spend your money on gear.

A belt. Then some good training with the new belt, like you would actually carry. My 2 cents.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

When out at night you should be carrying a flashlight with you. That takes care of the night sight issue for now.
    So get your belt then think about if the training will prove worth while or not.
    The place you want to get your training from do you know any other people that went there and can give you a honest review?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tele_pathic View Post
    What is this Mike's Hierachy of needs that you speak of?
    1) Reliable, comfortable handgun. S&W M&P and Glock 9mm's are the two I recommend. There are, of course, many others.
    2) Effective iwb concealment holster. I personally prefer the Brommeland Max-Con V, which can be extremely hard to come by. I currently am wearing a Midworld Gunleather model which was made specifically for me.
    3) A solid belt. I personally like the Wilderness Instructor 5-stitch.
    4) An effective concealed carry wardrobe. Every pair of trousers and shirt I own are size-larger.
    5) Night sights on anything not battery-powered.
    6) Ongoing proficiency drills.
    7) Continued training as opportunities arise.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Good training will probably mandate 5-800 rounds of ammo as well. You're close to Front Sight so I'd check their website for discount/free offers and ebay for cheap training coupons. Since just the ammo procurement will take a while, I'd get the belt and try the Glo paint advertised here and do a lot of dry fire practice and practice drawing from your holster at home. FS also sells a manual for their training you might look into until you can get the ammo purchased.

AOK
    Software > Hardware

If you are serious about using a gun as a defensive tool then find a reputable school/instructor in your area and get some training (whether it is through a class and/or private training). While an average department store belt is not ideal, a great belt will not likely be the difference between you prevailing in a fight or not. Lack of mindset, training and ability can.

Voted for the belt. Reason being, you still need a good belt during/after training. Going to get into any gun fights soon? Probably not. Going to need a good belt? Always.

Distinguished Member
    I am going to say other.

Training is a funny thing some of it is very good some of it is regugitation of anothers opinion. My first question of a trainer is have you been in a fight? If not I move on to another trainer. I want real life experience not the texts read to pass an instructors course.

There is an author Massad Ayoob who wrote a book The Gravest Extreme. It is the one book I advise all new people to read and study. Good common sense from someone who has engaged. The second would be Col. Grossmans book On Killing great information for all of us civillian and professional. If you are not training to be aware of your surroundings and get caught flat footed trying to defend agains an action you are fighting the wrong fight. It takes .75 seconds to identify a threat and tell your arm and hand to do something. That is why the first punch always goes to the the person taking action not defending.

Prepare your mind and then practice both your mind skills and your shooting skills until they become one. If you have a partner work out a word or phrase that will warn of danger ours is lemonade at the use of that word we seperate and go into a red alert phase. My wife and I train as a tem and fight as one. The only problem to this is you lose the seat facing the door about 50% of the time to your partner. ;-)

Good Luck and stay safe.

Respectfully,
    Bill
    marcclarke likes this.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by OJDerrick View Post
    Going to get into any gun fights soon? Probably not.
    If that is your mindset do you even bother carrying your gun?
    pittypat21 and marcclarke like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links