Question about 45 day shall issue in NC

This is a discussion on Question about 45 day shall issue in NC within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a little confused about the 45 day shall issue law in NC. I understand that the 45 days starts from the time the ...

Thread: Question about 45 day shall issue in NC

Question about 45 day shall issue in NC

I am a little confused about the 45 day shall issue law in NC. I understand that the 45 days starts from the time the Sheriff's office receives all the information required to make a decision about whether or not to issue the permit (the mental health check, the background check, etc..). What I'm confused about is how we know when the 45 days actually starts? How do we know when they have received all the necessary documents and information?

Please feel free to correct any errors in my understanding mentioned above.

2. Remove Ads

It may or may not be specified in the law regarding concealed carry for your state. And another issue is the penalty for NOT meeting the 45 day limit. As an example, Ohio has the same "shall issue, 45 day " language, but no penalty to the Sheriff for not complying. So if they are waiting for info re : your background and it goes several days past the 45, most Sheriffs will withhold issue until they have what they requested.

You are 100% right on in your understanding. The sheriff has 45 days after receipt of all required checks to either issue or deny your permit.

The ONLY way you will know is to call and check on it. I recommend you call after 30 days and ask if they have received all of the health/mental checks and if so what date they did receive them. That is the only way you will find out is to ask. What county are you in?
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Pitt County. Any idea on CURRENT or recent waiting times? I read some people in Pitt county got theirs in around 5 weeks but that was around 2 years ago. Not sure if things have changed.

When I dropped off my application my Sheriff's Office told me to call back in 30 days just to check on things. I had some issues with the medical records company, but once I got those straightened out they delivered fairly quickly. On a whim I called to check on the status of my permit and come to find out it had been ready for about 2 weeks. So I would definitely call to check.

I picked mine up the first week of December, so my timing was good. Now things are quite different.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    So the "45-day limit" is essentially meaningless as long as the sheriff claims he's waiting for "something." FL says 90 days from receipt of completed application to issue or deny, but there is no penalty clause for exceeding that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    A week or so back one the counties around the ashville area said they were so burried in CCL paper work they had to stop takeing apps. Your county could take 4 weeks or 3 months before depending on how many apps they have back logged . Our little county is so busy they have gone from 3 to 4 weeks. None of the counties can justify hirer'n an extra person to deal with only the short term extra CCL apps in todays tight budget so just hang tight .

Our local sheriff here in Onslow County has added additional personnel to help with the backlog of CCW apps.

slik

When I turned in my application and did the fingerprints, I asked the lady what the current turnaround time was. She responded with "Around ninety days." I asked, "so it is going to take the entire ninety days, as posted on your website?" And she replied with "give or take, usually take." I have absolutely no idea what she meant by that.... Any input? Did she mean it usually takes less than ninety days, as in take some from the ninety? I feel like she was just being really vague so she wouldn't be getting my hopes up if for some reason they are unable to meet the usual time, which I still have no idea what that usual time frame would be.

Edited: Oh yeah, on day 7.... Man this wait is going to be extremely hard!

Quote Originally Posted by MangoTangoJK View Post
    When I turned in my application and did the fingerprints, I asked the lady what the current turnaround time was. She responded with "Around ninety days." I asked, "so it is going to take the entire ninety days, as posted on your website?" And she replied with "give or take, usually take." I have absolutely no idea what she meant by that.... Any input? Did she mean it usually takes less than ninety days, as in take some from the ninety? I feel like she was just being really vague so she wouldn't be getting my hopes up if for some reason they are unable to meet the usual time, which I still have no idea what that usual time frame would be.

Edited: Oh yeah, on day 7.... Man this wait is going to be extremely hard!
    Considering what the current situation is with the rush to get permits I'd guess that 90+ days wouldn't be a surprise. As stated in some of the above posts, the sheriff by law has to either issue or deny your permit within 45 days "after" they receive any requested info on your mental background checks. I'd say call in 45 days and see if they have all of that back.

Who knows, you may be one of the lucky ones that it goes through in a few weeks.

As to "the usual time frame"

There is no usual anymore. Hang in there.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Links