Gun for Gal?

This is a discussion on Gun for Gal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey there everybody. I just took my girlfriend to a gun range to help get a feel for a gun. She grew up on a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun for Gal?

Gun for Gal?

Hey there everybody. I just took my girlfriend to a gun range to help get a feel for a gun. She grew up on a ranch so she is no stragner to shooting. But, the only experience she has are in rifles and shotguns. She hasn't fired a pistol yet. Anyways, back to my story. She tried out GLOCK 34. She is a GREAT shot! Better than me. However, she didn't like the GLOCK 34 or any other GLOCK because of the handle. She also didn't like the Bersa Thunder nor Beretta. I am not kidding, this gal has got some small hands! She liked my Taurus Mill. Pro but was a bit thick on the slide. She did however like the Kahr P9. My question is can anybody recommend a pistol with a fairly sized handle in a 9mm?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Get out of her way and let her find a gun.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

The "egg" shaped handle of the Steyr pistols was designed so that it would fit a large range of hand sizes. Put a post on steyrclub.com and I bet you find a local one for her to try out.

Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceShooter View Post
    Get out of her way and let her find a gun.

AFS
    Dude, I am just trying to find suggestions. Thats why I came here to get an idea and take her back to the range where they rent out the guns. Besides, are you dating her? No? So I guess you didn't know that shes anti-social and doesn't like to have lengthy conversation with strangers. But thank-you for the dating advice.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mexican_ninja View Post
    Dude, I am just trying to find suggestions. Thats why I came here to get an idea and take her back to the range where they rent out the guns. Besides, are you dating her? No? So I guess you didn't know that shes anti-social and doesn't like to have lengthy conversation with strangers. But thank-you for the dating advice.
    if she likes the Kahr, nothing wrong with that... My wife has small hands too, she really likes the G19/23. Check out a Sig 239,or a 225 if you can find one.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My wife is 5'2" and petite build , she likes my khar p9, her browning high power (trigger reshaped for a slightly shorter pull ) and her detonics .45 with short trigger and straight mainspring housing . You might also try her on an springer xd ( diff grip angle ect from glock ) and when all else fails try a small revolver with a " boot grip " that being one that fills in the gap under the trigger guard but does not cover the backstrap . Hope that helps both of you with a starting point .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax View Post
    The "egg" shaped handle of the Steyr pistols was designed so that it would fit a large range of hand sizes. Put a post on steyrclub.com and I bet you find a local one for her to try out.
    Thanks for the advice. Looks pretty good. I am going to suggest this gun to my girlfriend.

Yeah, she likes the Kahr. We are going next week to check them out. There weren't any XD's but hopefully they will restock when we go back. I tried to tell her to not rule out revolvers such as Ruger and S&W and she didn't like any them. She is set on a pistol. Which is cool. The reason I was concerned about the Kahr is because I heard about jamming issues and lack of a trigger safety which is something she didn't like. Me...I could care less if it didn't have a trigger safety.

About all the issues i have seen with kahrs have been with the pm series or the mk series , the sub compacts . The pm series seems to be ok if you get a pistol with a serial no starting with vb or later , most of the issues came with the va serials . That being said , realise that the pm series uses a different recoil system than the p series , the p series uses the tried and true khar system that has been on them from the start . That is why i recomended the p or covert over the pm, my pm works fine , as do many ... but i would still say the pm is a " try before you buy " gun , put 50 rounds or so thro it first .. so i wont recomend a new one ... nor a used on that you couldnt test fire . and a safety on a trigger imho is useless to prevent an ad , anything that pulls the triger to discharge a pistol will also depress the stupid switch that sticks out lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

look at the kel-tec p11 (9mm) or you could look at the kel-tec p3at (380) even smaller than the p11. or you could let her look at the s&w model 36/60 wheel guns (or the lady smith line). now sometimes wheel guns work out better for the ladies than the autos. now i known this statement will "start the fires",,,, but this is what i have seen over the years as a instructor. most ladies want to shoot the same type of gun as their husband,, just to please them,,,, but they make better shooters (and are better protected) when they switch over to the wheel gun.

I dont know that i would go as far as frank ( the wheel gun ) but in my years as an instructor i did find that new shooters tend to develop skills faster shooting double action guns ... its counter intuitive and i never bothered to try and analize why, but i have seen it time after time .

First, let me share that I feel your pain with the little woman being an AWESOME shot. My wife (5'2", 115lb) is a tremendous target shooter and likes cowboy (or girl, I guess) action shooting; so I have to give myself some room from her at the range to save my ego. I will share some observations that we made while at the range and talking/practicing with some of the competition guys that can hopefully be helpfull. Originally, I had assumed because she was small with small hands she would like smaller grips in general. After she got to try lots of different guns, she found that in general, she felt like the ergonomics of revolver grips fit her best (even though she shot nearly all my semi-autos fantastically). Even large revolvers (her favorite is a 45 long colt) fit her hand well. With semi-auto grips, she didn't like "boxy" (as she put it) grips like my glock or my HK USPc; and she was very luke-warm about my Sig P220's grips. She felt very comfortable with all my 1911's, and liked the large backstrap on my M&P40 (not the super small one like I would have predicted). After giving it some thought and talking with other shooters, we noticed that even when she shot with two hands, she had very little contact with her support hand and most of it with her strong hand...which explained why a thick/boxy grip would be more of a hinderance than an advantage. Good luck finding her a gun she likes, and when in doubt, suggest she get one that you will like if she ends up hating it

To frankmako....
    I totally agree on revolvers, or at least to start out practicing with them. I told her thats how I started. But she did pretty well on the Glock that I just couldn't argue. And thanks about the Kel-tecs, I forgot about those.

To Redneck...
    Thanks for the advice on the difference in Kahr's and the serial numbers heads up. I'll look out carefully.

no prob mn and btw KUDOS to you on the way you are going about this , trying to narrow the field a bit with other experiance , and then having HER make the decision. Too many guys are entirely too involved with selecting a lady's gun , and wind up interfeering with her needs in a handgun. Good On Ya bud .

And just to let you know...

I have small skinny hands myself (but not as small as my GF). So I have problems with gun handles as well. But not to the point that it gives me problems firing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links