will i be denied

will i be denied

This is a discussion on will i be denied within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just turned in my application to purchase a handgun today. But I am worried that I might get denied. Two years ago I got ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By NC Bullseye
  • 1 Post By MJB_17

Thread: will i be denied

will i be denied

I just turned in my application to purchase a handgun today. But I am worried that I might get denied. Two years ago I got a drug parapheniala charge because of a pipe and less than a half ounce bc the pipe had resin in it but just a pipe was found. I was not convicted of anything it was dropped, but the ticket still shows up should this matter? I live in rRaleigh nd any info would be a helpful.

If your state's CHL statutes rely upon accusations instead of convictions, you might have good cause to be concerned. Likely though, you won't have troubles if convictions are the standard for application.

What do you state's CHL application/qualification statutes say?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Raleigh NC where would I find that info at

Quote Originally Posted by bigd_28555 View Post
    I just turned in my application to purchase a handgun today. But I am worried that I might get denied. Two years ago I got a drug parapheniala charge because of a pipe and less than a half ounce bc the pipe had resin in it but just a pipe was found. I was not convicted of anything it was dropped, but the ticket still shows up should this matter? I live in rRaleigh nd any info would be a helpful.
    First and foremost, I'm not a lawyer.

Second, I'm not sure if this will help your or not, but I'll share a short story with you anyways. A guy I took my CWP class with here in SC - was charged with simple possession of marijuana, also had two Oxycontin's on him, and a pistol on him (these were all in NC and he was 20 yrs old - so wasn't able to possess a pistol, but it wasn't a stolen one) - He completed the SC CWP class and was also granted his SC CWP license.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

If you're asking only of being denied the ability to purchase a handgun then I would say probably not too. But read up on your state's laws and you should at least know how it is likely to turn out for you. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

This isn't a state regulated process if you're talking about a pistol purchase permit. You are at the mercy of the sheriff and what he deems good character. Best you can do is wait and see.

Don't be surprised if you are turned down though.

Your only recourse would be to possibly apply for your concealed handgun permit which the sheriff has far less room for personal interpretation. That would allow you to purchase handguns without a pistol purchase permit. The fairly recent drug charge may be a sticking point though.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Check with a Lawyer who handles this (drug) type of Law. That's the best way to settle it in your mind
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Raleigh NC where would I find that info at
    A Google search for "North Caroline state statutes" comes up with the links.

Here's a place to start, though, for a decent overview: HandgunLaw.us. Keep in mind that it's only a start. It's not what your state will be relying upon; it's merely a best-guess summary. Always go back to the statutes themselves. Also consider that case law matters, as well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion and I'm just speaking from a friend's experience (the one I mentioned before). His charges were all reduced down to misdemeanors since the gun didn't come back as stolen.

Once he turned 21, he was able to purchase a handgun (from a shop (not private sale) where they do background checks, with no problem whatsoever) and even got his SC CWP permit back before I did!
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

It just talks about felonies and even if was convicted its a misdemeanor but it was dropped. I just don't want that one mistake to keep me from owning a pistol! So if u get a concealed to carry permit u don't have to have the purchasing permit?

I'm not a lawyer, so don't take my word as gospel - but if you don't have a felony or a domestic violence charge (even if it's just a misdemeanor) - you should be good to go bro.

It just talks about felonies and even if was convicted its a misdemeanor but it was dropped. I just don't want that one mistake to keep me from owning a pistol! So if u get a concealed to carry permit u don't have to have the purchasing permit?
    If you get a NC concealed handgun permit you do not need to get the pistol purchase permits from the sheriff any longer. The CHP can be used in place of a pistol purchase permit. Sheriffs can deny a pistol purchase permit for about any reason they feel is is adequate. They have far more leeway to deny a purchase permit than they do for a CHP.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I think you are probably OK, but be sure to answer all disclosure questions on your application truthfully. The worst thing that anyone can do as far as disclosures are concerned is to not tell the truth.
    blitzburgh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MJB_17 View Post
    I think you are probably OK, but be sure to answer all disclosure questions on your application truthfully. The worst thing that anyone can do as far as disclosures are concerned is to not tell the truth.
    Nailed it. DO answer ALL questions truthfully..

I strongly suspect that you're fine but I'm not in the same state. Mere accusations are usually irrelevant, unless the charge is domestic violence. There just an allegation can harm you.

Sponsored Links