Question for WA. Resident

This is a discussion on Question for WA. Resident within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; AZ resident with AZ permit. Anyone know what condition I have to have my firearm in while I am in WA during a business trip. ...

Thread: Question for WA. Resident

AZ resident with AZ permit. Anyone know what condition I have to have my firearm in while I am in WA during a business trip. My permit is OK in every other state I go in.

Thanks in Advance!
    William Wallace
    Do not stand between Me and Mine!!

Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

I might be mistaken, but I believe WA permits are ok in AZ, but WA doesn't recognize AZ permits? At least according to this chart.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

If it isnt allowed I believe the weapon must be unloaded and not readily available to the driver or passengers of the vehicle.

(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

(b) Every licensee shall have his or her concealed pistol license in his or her immediate possession at all times that he or she is required by this section to have a concealed pistol license and shall display the same upon demand to any police officer or to any other person when and if required by law to do so. Any violation of this subsection (1)(b) shall be a class 1 civil infraction under chapter 7.80 RCW and shall be punished accordingly pursuant to chapter 7.80 RCW and the infraction rules for courts of limited jurisdiction.

(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

(b) A violation of this subsection is a misdemeanor.

(4) Nothing in this section permits the possession of firearms illegal to possess under state or federal law.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Keep it unloaded and locked in box

I am sure that the Arizona permit is not recognized in Washington state, so you'd have to keep your gun unloaded and locked up while in public or on the roads in Washington. Washington doesn't have open carry. When you are in your hotel room or other overnight accomodations you could load the gun for protection.

By the way, the Utah non resident permit is recognized in Washington state, for future reference. It is also possible to get a non resident Washington permit. I used to have one, but let it drop when Utah made their deal with Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    Washington doesn't have open carry.
    Actually, WA does have open carry. It's just not common and may result in calls to 911, but most police agencies are aware of its legality. My uncle is a Snohomish County Sheriff deputy and has to deal with those kind of calls from time to time. Check out www.opencarry.org for more information.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by njeske View Post
    Actually, WA does have open carry. It's just not common and may result in calls to 911, but most police agencies are aware of its legality. My uncle is a Snohomish County Sheriff deputy and has to deal with those kind of calls from time to time. Check out www.opencarry.org for more information.
    when I lived in Wa, it was a violation to put a loaded gun against or on a vehicle, also.

Sponsored Links