Teacher with CCW

Teacher with CCW

This is a discussion on Teacher with CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. My wife and I just applied for our ccw's. The biggest question/concern we have is about her work. She is school teacher in ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Teacher with CCW

Teacher with CCW

Hello everyone. My wife and I just applied for our ccw's. The biggest question/concern we have is about her work. She is school teacher in NE Ohio. I obviously know that she can't carry in school (although it would great if that would change) but what about on the way to work and after work? Firearms are prohibited on school property including the parking lot so how is she suppose to be able to carry in the morning on her way to work? What about after work if she has errands to run? She rarely comes straight home after work. I am just curious if there are any other teachers on here that have ccw's and how they handle the inconvenience of not being able to keep your firearm locked up in your car while at work. Any input or advise would for her would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kirk

I'm not a teacher, but I have the same predicament. I currently do not carry in this situation. I hate it.

Leave the gun at home, go to work, come home, grab gun, go back out to run errands, come home for the night, leave gun at home, go to work, come home, grab gun, go back out to run errands.........

Or, substitute home with a closer location off school property where you can store the gun (friends house?).

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    I've been wondering for some time now if a good business model might be to develop a string of shops with small lockers that people can rent to store a gun in temporarily. There would need to be an in-depth review of liability issues, but I'm thinking of areas around military bases, schools, federal buildings ..... I just wonder what business model might support the idea.
    NONAME762, SweetVanity and Dsbjax like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Distinguished Member Array REVMAN's Avatar
    That's a tough situation that a number of folks face. It's just something you will have to decide. My wife works at a place that told them no guns in parking lot. Well she made the decision to keep her gun locked in the car so she will be armed back and forth from work. She travels very early in the morning along. I stand behind her. The only difference between my wife's situation and your wife's is, my wife is not breaking a law...only a policy but your wife would be breaking a state law.
    Always put Jesus first in your life.
    NRA (Lifetime Member)
    U.S. Navy Vet.

Parking off campus and walking to school would be a sensible option. Lock the weapon in the car. Not versed in Ohio CC laws, but if the weapon never enters school property then she'd be in the clear. Worth checking in to.

Yup, just checked handgulaws.us and it looks the same as WA. Park off campus, walk to school....if anyone asks, she does it for exercise.
    It does state that you can carry when dropping off/picking up child.....much like WA doesn't specify, locking in the car for a day.
    Better safe than sorry.
    surefire7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkw12 View Post
    hello everyone. My wife and i just applied for our ccw's. The biggest question/concern we have is about her work. She is school teacher in ne ohio. I obviously know that she can't carry in school (although it would great if that would change) but what about on the way to work and after work? Firearms are prohibited on school property including the parking lot so how is she suppose to be able to carry in the morning on her way to work? What about after work if she has errands to run? She rarely comes straight home after work. I am just curious if there are any other teachers on here that have ccw's and how they handle the inconvenience of not being able to keep your firearm locked up in your car while at work. Any input or advise would for her would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    kirk
    im not sure about ohio but in sc if you are givin permission by the principle you can have it in your vehicle so maybe she needs to ask the principle again in sc thats the law im not sure about ohio but it woundnt hurt to ask im she the principle will have a answer
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    I've been wondering for some time now if a good business model might be to develop a string of shops with small lockers that people can rent to store a gun in temporarily. There would need to be an in-depth review of liability issues, but I'm thinking of areas around military bases, schools, federal buildings ..... I just wonder what business model might support the idea.
    YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CAYY ON A MILLITARY BASE BUT YOU CAN HAVE YOUR WEAPON ON POST AS LONG AS ITS REGISTERED ON THAT POST. each post has its own laws though ft riley ks weapon has to be locked from ammo or out of reach of driver like in a truck
    Spring field 1911a1, glock 27, tuarus pt111, colt police revolver 38spl, NAA mini, charter arms undercover .38 spl

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I'm a teacher... But, unfortunately i can't advise you on the matter until the rules of this board change.

I can only give you a few questions to ask yourself. How many times has your wife had her car searched on campus? If she really needed to deploy her firearm on school grounds would her fear of the consequences outweigh the need for said weapon?
    ItsMyRight2 and mbguy29577 like this.

Do they regularly search cars on the campus with no probable cause and look inside of car safes without warrants?

No need to answer...I was just wanted to post a random question.
    mbguy29577 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

She spends most of her time on the road, stores, gas stations and works in a gun free zone. GREAT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    That sounds like a great idea. Or in the case of Kirkw12 (OP) Perhaps he and his wife could scout out a friendly resident who would be willing to sell a *parking spot*. As far as securing the handgun in her car one of those small gun vaults I've heard about. Perhaps something that can be bolted to the floor of her car. If vault is in the *open* throw a coat over it or fast food wrappers over it to disguise it. Pay for the Private Parking in Cash or trade? Home canned jams or Jellies. Anything of value can be traded for instead of using FRNs. Good Luck
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaShooter View Post
    She spends most of her time on the road, stores, gas stations and works in a gun free zone. GREAT!!!
    Well...there's always *Adapt, Over Come, Make Do*
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

There are only three choices...

Break the law, and you could end up NEVER being able to CCW...very bad idea!

Park off campus and be sure to have the gun hidden in a CoM safe...it could work!

The 'go home prior to running errands' idea suggest in an earlier post.

That's about it!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Re: Teacher with CCW

Thanks for the fast responses. Her car would never be randomly searched but I know they have had a bomb threat before and occasionally bring the bomb sniffing dogs around. At least my wife thinks they did. Not even sure if they would pick up a scent from a handgun locked in a safe under a seat. Either way I would prefer to be law abiding and wouldn't want her risking anything. Especially her right to conceal carry. She will probably just have to get used to driving home before running errands. It's not the end of world just inconvenient. Probably 75% of her awake time is spent driving to and from work and at work.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links