Can they search my safe legally?

This is a discussion on Can they search my safe legally? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like to see if others on here might have the same problem as I do. I work for a company that are anti gun. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can they search my safe legally?

VIP Member

Can they search my safe legally?

I like to see if others on here might have the same problem as I do. I work for a company that are anti gun. They do not want a gun on their property at all including on the parking lot in your car. In our company handbook it states they can search your car and I'm sure its legal as long as they do not pinpoint me out. With working in the bad part of the city I feel this is not a good rule. Only I am there to protect myself comeing and going. I have a safe bolted down in the trunk of my car for incase I have to enter a building with an anti gun sign. Here is my question. At work if they do a search on cars, can they legally make me open my safe?

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    The cannot even make you let them search your car. If you refuse, all they can do is fire you.

I think the best solution here is to hide / disguise it so they don't see it. Cover it with carpet, so it looks like part of the trunk, etc.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar

Unhappy

If you haven't already - DON'T talk about Guns at work.

Your options are: Park off site
    Conceal your safe well and take your chances.
    Find a New Job.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

Just say No! Without a warrant or you allowing them they can't. Minnesota law makes any parking lot even an employeers under their building treated as public. So, you have a right to have your carry guns locked up approperately after you park. This goes for schools also.

If you concerned, don't park in their space if you can. Like others have said don't talk about guns at work. The might get !
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

VIP Member
    I do not talk about guns at work but allowing them to fire me is not an option. You got to understand that when you get to a certain age, employment is not as easy to find anymore. And to my understanding ( i could be wrong ) they can not pinpoint me out. If they search my car they will also have to search others car too. So they may not even be looking in my direction but in someone elses direction and my car gets picked also. Thats why I like to know if my weapon is in a safe in my trunk and I get picked in a random search, can they make me open up my trunk legally. I feel that would be like snoopping through my wallet. Remember losing my job is not an option!!!!!

This is a question you would have to ask a lawyer who knows this type of thing all the guess's we can give ya are that guess's

VIP Member
    You are in a contract with your employer. Part of that contract is allowing them to search your vehicle. If you fail to allow them to search your vehicle they can refuse you access to the premesis and or terminate you. Unless you work on a government facility they can't call the police to search your vehicle, it is between you and your employer.

An FAA ATC I know used to park off the facility and walk in every morning. It was an inconvenience for him, but he did not want his vehicle searched because he stored his gun in it while he was in the site. I have done the same on occassion when visiting federal facilities.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

My understanding is that an employer, by stating in the employee manual, etc, is requiring as a condition of employment, they may search employees' vehicles while on company property. They can search one or all, with or without probable cause. They are not restricted by the 4th amendment requirements. You can refuse, but they can fire you. Basically like the implied consent laws regarding DUI/BAC tests. By accepting employment, you are giving implied consent to be searched. They may or may not ask you to open your safe, there is no telling. If it looks like a safe, they would probably want to nose around and see what is in it.

Some states, I have read, treat an employer's parking lot as public property, thus giving you some protection from this kind of BS, but I don't know which states specifically.

I am not a lawyer, so take it for what it is worth. If you have/feel the need to have your weapon in your vehicle my thought is that you need to check your state law to see if they give any protection in an employer's parking lot, and then weigh it against your option for finding another job. I would think if they don't know you carry, they would have no reason to look in your car.

Charlie
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

VIP Member
    Bud I seen a few lawyers on this site. Hopefully one can answer this question.

Scott remember this is the bad part of town and leaving your car off the fenced company lot might mean your car wil be stripped therefore the chance of losing your weapon to the BG.

just keep a low profile, don't sweat it.

VIP Member
    "You want to look in the safe?....I forgot the combination & I left the key at home....sorry....."
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Hennessy View Post
    I have a safe bolted down in the trunk of my car for incase I have to enter a building with an anti gun sign. Here is my question. At work if they do a search on cars, can they legally make me open my safe?
    Not if you've "lost the keys" to that safe. And there's about zero chance they're going to rip that safe out of the car to open it up. So, win-win.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sorry but i dont think there gonna buy the i lost the keys bit

More than likely they would fire you on the spot

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    When is the last time they searched anybody?
    The legal risk of searching an employees car is enormous. I doubt they would ever search a car. A desk , yes, your person , no your car. no.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Ben,

We were talking about this at the gun show over the weekend and we really didn't go into it much for some reason. I would say if you want to work there and you agree to their policy (you have to in order to work there) you would have to open the safe if they asked and if you refused they could terminate you on the spot if they felt like it. Missouri gives this option to employer's. So legally, yes they can ask you to open your safe, it's apart of your car, no different than your locked glove box. If they are having a bad day and want to get rid of a few pay checks and you refuse, guess what?

I haven't seen your safe but I assume it's a small single gun case that can be easily hidden. Plan site is no good! If they are going to search vehicles they are not going to be looking under spare tires or behind panels, etc. "If" and that is a big "if" they do a search it will be sad in the way it will be conducted and who they use to do the dirty work. So if your safe is hidden from plain site I don't see a problem at all with them ever finding it. They may be able to search your car but they can't tear it apart as they would be liable for that so panels, and covered hidden spots that are screwed down, or covered with carpet that they would have to remove is not going to happen. These are the places I would hide your piece.

I have never heard of an employer searching employees car's since CCW passed in Missouri. Actually it being on your person is a safer place to have it IMO. Have you seen a smart carry holster? I can pretty much guarantee that your employer is not going to search your person were the smart carry is placed. They would rather search your car then you. That, to my knowledge is not legal in Missouri for them to do.

Do one or the other options and you should be fine. Or as stated park elsewhere if you have to. Being down town like that you probably donít have an option or one that you want to risk.

Ti.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links