Drinking and Carrying

Drinking and Carrying

This is a discussion on Drinking and Carrying within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My father at 66 finally decided to get his CCW. He is from Pennsylvania and I am in Missouri. We were just discussing via Facebook ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: Drinking and Carrying

Drinking and Carrying

My father at 66 finally decided to get his CCW. He is from Pennsylvania and I am in Missouri. We were just discussing via Facebook the differences in some of the laws between PA and MO, and the subject of drinking alcohol came up.

IF I RECALL from my class, which I think I took last spring (I was carrying in a PA permit after I moved here) the instructor said that there are no laws that say you cannot conceal and carry when you are drinking. As long as you aren't "doing anything stupid". Apparently, its not like that in Pennsylvania. Does someone out there know the missouri code well enough to clarify this for me? I could not find an answer on here: www.handgunlaw.us/states/missouri.pdf

Thanks all... "Carry" on...

In a nutshell, "drinking" and "carrying" are two words that don't go together, law or no law. Alcohol and guns do not mix. Those who choose to do this are inviting disaster, and if there is a shooting incident that occurs, you can bet that the alcohol will become an issue regardless of anything else. Just don't do it and avoid the fallout.
    srings, DVido, fredg53 and 8 others like this.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by DocT65 View Post
    In a nutshell, "drinking" and "carrying" are two words that don't go together, law or no law. Alcohol and guns do not mix. Those who choose to do this are inviting disaster, and if there is a shooting incident that occurs, you can bet that the alcohol will become an issue regardless of anything else. Just don't do it and avoid the fallout.
    I TOTALLY agree with you. But I play in a bar band, and we sometimes get into some rough places. And I don't always carry, its usually in my backpack or briefcase, but sometimes I will, and I will have a few beers. Most times I forget I even have it on... but I have a pretty wife who is a lead singer, and 40K dollars worth of equipment, and usually a wad of 20's at the end of the night. Hence the need to carry. Just want to make sure I'm not breaking the law. I haven't read the link posted above, but I am about to. Thanks for your reply.

"While intoxicated" is the key phrase. That's .08 in most states these days, which isn't hard to get to. I'd use the same logic as choosing whether or not to drive (assuming you use good logic for that, I mean).
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    So I read the law to say you can be intoxicated and in possession of a firearm as long the firearm is not handled negligently or discharged unless acting in self-defense. Interesting. I don't think such a law would pass muster in my state.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    So I read the law to say you can be intoxicated and in possession of a firearm as long the firearm is not handled negligently or discharged unless acting in self-defense. Interesting. I don't think such a law would pass muster in my state.
    In your state owning a gun doesn't pass muster with most of your elected officials...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    When in doubt...don't drink and carry...No matter how well anyone thinks they handle their adult beverage of choice. Better safe than sued!
    Jackster, GH and marcclarke like this.
    S&W M&P Full Size 9mm - Little FoxX IWB
    S&W Shield 9mm - FoxX Trapp
    Ruger 10/22 Takedown
    NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member
    Don't let the high post count fool you...I'm just part of the welcoming committee.

Quote Originally Posted by sjl2725 View Post
    I TOTALLY agree with you. But I play in a bar band, and we sometimes get into some rough places. And I don't always carry, its usually in my backpack or briefcase, but sometimes I will, and I will have a few beers. Most times I forget I even have it on... but I have a pretty wife who is a lead singer, and 40K dollars worth of equipment, and usually a wad of 20's at the end of the night. Hence the need to carry. Just want to make sure I'm not breaking the law. I haven't read the link posted above, but I am about to. Thanks for your reply.
    Why be the next news story the anti's will jump on when you demonstrate you apparent need to drink and carry? let us know how that works out for you.

VIP Member
    The logic of ever drinking and carrying just doesn't compute, whether it's legal or not.

You carry to protect yourself in an unforeseen situation. Even with just one drink, if you need to defend yourself, you're gonna be in for the fight of your life, assuming that you just survived the fight for your life.
    Brad426 and NONAME762 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sjl2725 View Post
    Sir, respectfully...you do not need to be carrying. I do not know if your backpack or briefcase is secured anywhere but it should be. As far as a "few" beers..that is totally irresponsible. You need to make a choice...drink and carry or don't carry.

I am more concerend about your lack of concern about the issue except the legal aspect. If it were legal it is still stupid to do.
    drbald1, GH, 031131 and 5 others like this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post

...they sure do read funny in your state...you may wanna have someone from New Hampshire read that to you...that ain't what it says...

BUT...the actual statute says that: 5) Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or discharges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense;

...the actual statute doesn't have the ( ) part that the brochure says...

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    OK. so what does this mean? You are safe as long as you aren't acting like a jerk with it?

(Possesses or discharges a firearm or projectile weapon while intoxicated)
    Has a firearm or projectile weapon readily capable of lethal use on his or her
    person, while he or she is intoxicated, and handles or otherwise uses such
    firearm or projectile weapon in either a negligent or unlawful manner or dis-
    charges such firearm or projectile weapon unless acting in self-defense.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 1st, 2013 at 12:12 AM.

I'm in total agreement with DocT's above assessment. It's exactly the same as drinking and driving. Don't do it. Period, nada, end of story.
    NRA Life Member

Thank you gentlemen.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links