Driving and pulled over while friend has drugs on his person

This is a discussion on Driving and pulled over while friend has drugs on his person within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I tried searching the forum for over 20 minutes and finally decided to just ask. Would i get in any trouble in the law if ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Driving and pulled over while friend has drugs on his person

Question Driving and pulled over while friend has drugs on his person

I tried searching the forum for over 20 minutes and finally decided to just ask. Would i get in any trouble in the law if i were to be pulled over and a passenger has illegal drugs in their possession? Would it make a difference who was driving?

Senior Moderator
    Yes you would get in trouble, you would lose your CCW, your pistol and probably be charged with a felony.

No it doesn't matter whose driving.

If you have friends who use illegal drugs you need to find new friends
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

If it's in their possession, no, you shouldn't, despite what the other guy says.

Having said that. Don't put yourself in that situation and don't befriend idiots like that.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Yes you would get in trouble, you would lose your CCW, your pistol and probably be charged with a felony.

I disagree
    USM1976, BurgerBoy and Phaedrus like this.

Unless your "friend" fesses up to the drugs being his then it's your car, your drugs. My money is on the idea that he will throw you under the bus. Lose him.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smcfay View Post
    I tried searching the forum for over 20 minutes and finally decided to just ask. Would i get in any trouble in the law if i were to be pulled over and a passenger has illegal drugs in their possession? Would it make a difference who was driving?
    I assume you are a young man. Please read: "The Little Black Book of Violence: What every young man
    needs to know about fighting."

The title may seem inappropriate to the question you asked, but the book is
    about how to stay away from trouble and how to see it coming before you get caught up in it.

Being in a car with drugs (even someone elses) is big trouble. You don't want to be there. So, this is a good
    time to start learning how young men get themselves into trouble, and how to avoid being one who does.
    oneshot, First Sgt, JD and 12 others like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member

Personally, I wouldn't want to find out. I'd ask my friend to not bring any drugs into my vehicle or I'd find some new friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Wow, first post here and im impressed by how many replies i got. I agree with the point of not hanging around friends that use illegal drugs. My my main concern was if i was put in that situation unknowingly since one has no idea what a passenger might have on them. Are there any sources or laws on a books regarding this scenario?

More than likely someone "holding", as a passenger is going to drop their package when the roof lights up behind them. Then when the vehicle is searched, the vehicle being yours, so are the contents; including the illicit package. On top of that if you are carrying a weapon, CCP or not the charges will start stacking. I doubt very seriously this "friend" is good enough of a person to take the rap for the illicit substance.
    oneshot, rocky, GH and 7 others like this.

First of all thanks for all of the replies, I recently found this forum and it looks like ill be here for a long time now since its a treasure trove of information regarding my new responsibility. I wholeheartedly agree with the majority of your responses and im simply trying to learn as much as i can before i decide to start conceal carrying my weapon.

I'm guessing this same scenario would play out the same if at a neighbors/friends residence and if it were to be searched?
    BkCo1 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The key words in the OP's post is: and a passenger has illegal drugs in their possession?

The OP possesed no drugs, but I'd have a new "ex-" friend it I were he. A few years back a fishing buddy broke out a crack pipe on our way home (His truck, he driving). I haven't seen him since and don't intend to. After seeing the OP's second post, he may wish to make a serious review of with whom he associates.
    mprp, Dadsnugun, Wolf357 and 2 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I think what "many" of us are trying to say is: "Don't be around drugs, Don't associate with those that are holding/using, Pick your friends carefully, Act like a responsible adult if you plan on carrying"... JMO
    GH, airslot, miller_man and 4 others like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Yes you would get in trouble, you would loose your CCW, your pistol and probably be charged with a felony.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    I disagree
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Unless your "friend" fesses up to the drugs being his then it's your car, your drugs. My money is on the idea that he will throw you under the bus. Lose him.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    More than likely someone "holding", as a passenger is going to drop their package when the roof lights up behind them. Then when the vehicle is searched, the vehicle being yours, so are the contents; including the illicit package. On top of that if you are carrying a weapon, CCP or not the charges will start stacking. I doubt very seriously this "friend" is good enough of a person to take the rap for the illicit substance.

^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ditch the losers.

Losers HATE being miserable alone, and will take you down just for fun.
    Don't mistake friendship, brotherhood, blood relations or none of that.
    These clowns are not ambitious, and take this life as the "easy" path in life.
    Do not even associate with these people.
    If they are family, see them on the holidays if you must and can tolerate it, but other than that, NO DRIVING MISS DAISY
    You aren't a chauffeur, a butler or valet, let them walk or take public transportation.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    If a person in your vehicle is in possession of illegal substances unbeknownst to you, you do not have any culpability in that possession. However, if you know he/she is in possession of drugs, you may be guilty of illegal transportation. As a practical matter, I agree 100% with others who have said that if you have friends who have drugs, you definitely need new friends. Period.
    Pistology and tcox4freedom like this.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smcfay View Post
    First of all thanks for all of the replies, I recently found this forum and it looks like ill be here for a long time now since its a treasure trove of information regarding my new responsibility. I wholeheartedly agree with the majority of your responses and im simply trying to learn as much as i can before i decide to start conceal carrying my weapon.

I'm guessing this same scenario would play out the same if at a neighbors/friends residence and if it were to be searched?

^^You either ARE guessing^^^^^^^^^^

or you are a fast learner.

Think about this :
    100% of the people who died on the Titanic, would not have, had they not been ON the Titanic.

Lesson;
    Don't be anywhere where you suspect illegal activity taking place, or where illegal stuff is being stashed.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links