Eligibility Question

This is a discussion on Eligibility Question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How far back do they look on the back ground check?...

Thread: Eligibility Question

Eligibility Question

How far back do they look on the back ground check?

2. Remove Ads

Depends on which area you are talking about. One question is have you been treated for alcohol addition during the last 5 years, so they will look back 5 years. If the question is are you a felon, then it goes back to your birth.

Depends on where you live. It usually says right on the application.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I live in Gaston County NC , it has been almost 20 years since I have been in any kind of trouble. The application does not state how far back they look I have never been convicted of a felony. Is there a place I can look to see if I am eligible?

Just apply, then you will know what you need to do. I don't know about NC but as long as you are honest on the Ga. application: you are simply turned down, don't know if they tell you why but I expect you can find out.
    You may be visited if there is anything in the past that you have unresolved like a outstanding warrant for your arrest.

Is NC a 'shall issue' state? No alcohol, drugs, misdemenors, or especially 'Domestic Violence', you should be OK.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    My CWP class instructor advised us to list everything. He said it is better for you to list it than SLED to find it. This is in SC.

VIP Member
    If the question does not specify a time frame, then list it. In most states omission of a misdemeanor or felony conviction is justification for denial and possibly leave you open to felony charges.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    In MA, everything is checked (mental health, drug/alcohol treatment, criminal charges) back to the day you were born.

Failure to disclose (even if not a disqualifier) can result in denial and possible perjury charges.
    NRA Instructor

IMHO, get yourself hooked up with a good attorney - he and his investigators have access to databases and records and can access them faster than if you tried to do it yourself, either online or at the courthouse. Then he definetely can tell you if you have any disqualifiers lurking somewhere, and if all goes well but something pops up later that you forgot about or just wasn't entered into the III, you have a "due diligence" defense..

In MI, it is very specific with time frames and what you did. Some things that involve violence are forever, other things are only a few years.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Or do like I did--just answer the questions. If it asks "Have you (within the last 5 years, 7 years, ever) been . . .?" and you have or haven't then say so. If it asks for misdemeanors, then answer truefully. Your state's website on permits should list what disqualifies one from a permit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayseght View Post
    How far back do they look on the back ground check?
    I know of some who've had extremely minor items from decades earlier be part of the identification process on a NICS check. So, yes, the NICS records checks do see this stuff, assuming it was entered and isn't otherwise filtered out.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewayseght View Post
    I live in Gaston County NC , it has been almost 20 years since I have been in any kind of trouble. The application does not state how far back they look I have never been convicted of a felony. Is there a place I can look to see if I am eligible?
    They will generally run your entire record so honesty is the best policy. I'm not going to type out EVERY crime that is a disqualifier but I'll give you the link to the statute and you can do the leg work. It's G.S. 14-415.12

Pay attention to items (b) 8 & 9

That will get you in the right ball park. If you prefer to PM me with specifics I may be able to cut your search time down a bit.

Stay safe!
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Links