Carry Gun question

This is a discussion on Carry Gun question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm fairly new to the forums. I picked up a Taurus 738 .380 to use for a pocket carry. I recently took it to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Carry Gun question

Carry Gun question

I'm fairly new to the forums. I picked up a Taurus 738 .380 to use for a pocket carry. I recently took it to the range to practice and I ran just over 100 rounds through it. I found the gun sits okay in the hand (although a little small for my hands) but could not get comfortable shooting it. i think part of the problem is my pinky does not fit on the handle and It feels like the control of the gun, when firing is not there.

My question is should I shoot it more and try and get comfortable with it or just sell it and get a different gun to carry.

2. Remove Ads

If you are determined to keep it, shoot it and get used to it. If you can live without it, come up with some cash and trade it in for something that fits you better. Not calling your baby ugly, but Taurus has a shaky reputation for reliability. Add to that you don't like the feel, I'd say offload it.

The 738 is a small gun and may take some getting used to. How ever, if you are not comfortable with it I would consider looking for a new gun that feels better to you if that is an option. There are plenty of small guns that have good ergonomics..... SW bodygaurd, Kahr CM9 / PM9, Beretta Nano, etc
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I added a rubber textured sleeve to my DB9 and it helped abit. Its a TUFF1 made by Boa Grip....or check out the Hogue Rubber Grip Handall Jr. Some trimming to fit may be needed. You can also add some Talon grip tape to most of these pocket pistol to get a better grip.

The first range trip with my 738 I put about 300 rds through it. It was not too uncomfortable to shoot that many.

It is really hard to find the mouse guns that "fit" your hand well. If the 738 is reliable keep it for times when you need a really small gun. When you can afford it, look for something a bit bigger that will be more fun at the range, yet still be easily concealed.

I have not found there there is one carry gun that fits all situations. I rotate between 4 or 5 depending on what I am doing.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Besides adding a Hogue grip sleeve you can also get a pinky extension for the mag. That would get you a better grip also.

VIP Member
    Any sub-compact/pocket gun is going to have the same problem of enough grip to get all your fingers on it. With practice you can learn to live with that. I'd suggest giving it 3-400 rounds to see if you do. IF you can get used to it problem solve. If not dump it and get something bigger.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Problem solved for $9.95.

Just get a Pearce grip extension Pearce Grips
    Lightweb likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Re: Carry Gun question

I agree with 1 moregoodguy I have a Taurus pt 740 the .40 cal version I was having the same problem pinky was not fitting on the grip the pierce mag. Extensions solved my problem love my 740 shoots great no problems yet

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks 1moregoodguy I think I will order that and when I can find some more ammo will give it another chance. I was just really uncomfortable after shooting what ammo I could find yesterday and was second guessing the choice because of it.

Not ttrying to start a caliber war, but I just can not trust 380 to defend my life. Others may find it ok, I can not.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I agree I got this one as a summer carry or when I had a need for something smaller. I also have a 9mm that is larger and am looking for a slim .40 for the next purchase so I have a few options depending on the situation.

Senior Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Regardless of what you're shooting, remember that your pinky finger just needs to be there....somewhere. But it shouldn't be participating with the rest of your fingers for proper grip.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    Personally I'd say shoot it more before doing anything else. 100 rounds is not much of a litmus test for anything. If its purpose is a 'pocket gun', then adding an extended grip essentially runs counter to the reason for choosing such a small firearm. You don't need the pinkie to accurately control shots, but it does take some time and practice to get accustomed to firing a pistol without that last digit wrapping around the grip.

Also, it's worth noting that defensive firearms aren't necessarily 'range fun' friendly. For its purpose it matters that you can hit your target accurately, not how pleasant it is to shoot repeatedly. Spend some time and work on accuracy. If you can get the accuracy down, then it's doing all it even needs to. It'll probably never be a fun gun to shoot, but it doesn't need to be.
    Fingerman likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

If it's a true pocket gun in a reasonable caliber, it isn't going to be pleasant to shoot. They're designed to be concealable, not comfortable.

My LCP .380 has way more snap and felt recoil than my M&P .40. It wasn't designed to be ergonomic. It was designed to be small. That's why I own and carry one.

Put enough rounds through your gun to prove reliability (including carry ammo) and shoot a few magazines every once in a while to retain familiarity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links