ccw car carry kentucky

This is a discussion on ccw car carry kentucky within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i should recieve my ccw permit in a couple weeks. i've looked all over the internet and even called my local sheriff and left a ...

Thread: ccw car carry kentucky

VIP Member

ccw car carry kentucky

i should recieve my ccw permit in a couple weeks. i've looked all over the internet and even called my local sheriff and left a message ( with no return call ) , trying to find out the answer to my question. does anyone know if there are restrictions in kentucky on carrying a gun in a vehicle with a ccw permit? i know without a permit i can legally carry a loaded gun in the glovebox , but what about with a permit? does it have to be "on person" or in the glovebox? i would assume i can carry it anywhere in the car with a ccw permit, but i don't want to assume anything with something this serious. thanks

2. Remove Ads

From http://handgunlaw.us/documents/USRVCarCarry.pdf

527.020 Carrying concealed deadly weapon.
    (8) A firearm or other deadly weapon shall not be deemed concealed on or about the person if it is located in a glove compartment, regularly installed in a motor vehicle by its manufacturer, regardless of whether said compartment is locked, unlocked, or does not have a locking mechanism. No person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit a person from keeping a firearm or ammunition, or both, or other deadly weapon in a glove compartment of a vehicle in accordance with the provisions of this subsection. Any attempt by a person or organization, public or private, to violate the provisions of this subsection may be the subject of an action for appropriate relief or for damages in a Circuit Court or District Court of competent jurisdiction.

9/21/06 KY Supreme Court ruled that the console in a vehicle is not the same as the Glove Compartment. They ruled a Glove Compartment is installed in the dash of a vehicle.
    The way I read this, you don't even have to have a CCW permit to keep a gun in your glove box.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    ya in kentucky, it is legal for persons not carrying a ccw to have a firearm in their glovebox.. it can be anywhere in our cars

Senior Moderator
    Would this prohibit a private company from banning firearms in thier parking lots? If so how can I get this passed in my wonderful state of Alabama?

Yes, you can carry it anywhere you want in your car with a permit. That would be about your person. I know a couple guys who unholster and set their piece within easy reach. However, if you're journeying to Ohio, don't do this!

To answer your question Pgrass:

Yes, in KY employers can't ban firearms in your vehicle even on their property (doesn't apply to Federal property). You also cant be fired if you run out to your vehicle and use your firearm in a justified self-defense shooting. You can sue them in that case if they did fire you.

Senior Moderator
    Thanks Sammy,
    I know what my next state writing letter campaign will be for.

VIP Member
    thanks everyone. some didnt understand what i was asking , but i appreciate the responses just the same. i was asking if i could carry a firearm anywhere i wish in the car if i have a ccw permit. "sammyiamtoday" answered my question. thanks.
    rangerman2003 , it is not correct that you can carry anywhere in your vehicle without a permit. it HAS to be in the glovebox if it is concealed..

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    thanks everyone. some didnt understand what i was asking , but i appreciate the responses just the same. i was asking if i could carry a firearm anywhere i wish in the car if i have a ccw permit. "sammyiamtoday" answered my question. thanks.
    rangerman2003 , it is not correct that you can carry anywhere in your vehicle without a permit. it HAS to be in the glovebox if it is concealed..
    I researched this question before we wentt yo wis, and robere is correct, glove box.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    SammyIam beat me to it. (The wife had the pc almost all day
    yesterday) You can have the weapon anywhere inside your vehicle in Ky, if you have a ccw permit. I would advise against placing it anywhere visable to someone from outside the vehicle. You don't want anyone placing a "man with a gun" call to the police.
    It will also keep some anti rights blissninny from claiming you were "waving a gun around/pointing", and then being able to describe your sidearm. That would make it very hard to talk your way out of a brandishing charge.

If you travel into ohio, it is a whole different ballgame. If you go there let us know and I am sure someone will help you with that.

You were also correct about non concealed car carry in kentucky(say those last 4 words several times real fast...) It must be in the glove box. Loaded/unloaded/dissasembled doesn't matter. The console between the seats doesn't count, and will net you a weapons charge.
    Also you might want to start keeping your paperwork on the sun visor in one of those little organizers.

If you get pulled over in Ky you do not have to inform the officer you are armed, but lying if asked carries a stiff penalty. I won't get into whether or not to tell or not tell there are a hundred posts on this site about that, and I don't want to hijack your thread to start another one.

Robere, Welcome to combatcarry.com
    Another law abiding, armed Kentuckian is always welcome.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    i stated someone w/o a ccw can carry in glove box, and by we i meant us ccw holders sorry..

VIP Member
    to rangerman 2003 , it makes sense now. just wasnt clear by your response. thanks..
    to goodsamaritan, i plan on carrying in the car using a crossdraw ( mostly on long trips.) i know it should remain concealed. believe me, ive heard about ohio too. i dont think i'd even try to carry there. that place scares me. we learned in our ccw class that a person does have to inform the officer of carrying, but ive read several sites that says i dont have to. personally i think its a good idea to get use to telling them i am carrying..

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I agree, but if you are ever pulled over in frankfort by a short deputy sherrif with a mustach. I might just keep it to myself. LOL!

Every other leo+ccw encounter I have had, has been extremely positive.

For now though, I suggest you go with your instructors advice, just in case they have changed the law on us.

Btw, I forgot to include it earlier. www.kc3.org and http://www.kffi.org/ are both fine local ccw organizations that can help answer your ky specific questions.

Last edited by PatrioticRick; November 3rd, 2006 at 06:27 PM.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Links