Need Info about Gunbroker

This is a discussion on Need Info about Gunbroker within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to Gunbroker and would like your help in explaining to me what its all about. 1) Is it legit? 2) Are all the guns ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Need Info about Gunbroker

Need Info about Gunbroker

New to Gunbroker and would like your help in explaining to me what its all about. 1) Is it legit? 2) Are all the guns used? 3) Is it safe to buy a used gun that you have never seen in person? Never bought a gun on line before. Whats the pros and cons?
    Thanks

2. Remove Ads

Hello swimshoot, it is legit. I have bought several guns on their site. Not all guns are used. You will need to factor in the fact that you will need an FFL to ship to.
    oneshot likes this.
    I Love Guns!!!

VIP Member
    GunBroker is as legit as Ebay, it's not GunBroker that matters though, it's the seller you are purchasing who needs to be 'legit'. From my observations, I'd say there is little risk purchasing off GunBroker, especially if the firearm is new. If you are purchasing something used, then you do have some increased risk because you don't get to see/hold/examine the item before you pay for it, so you are relying solely on the seller to accurately describe the condition.

In the item description, it will tell you if the item is new or used. As far as pros and cons go, the only pro that I can think of right now is product availability. If you really have to have that Glock 19 right now, GunBroker may be the only way to get it. The biggest downside I see is price, because at this time, stuff is selling on there for obscene prices. So your Glock 19 that should cost you $550 brand new may run you closer to $700. GunBroker is all about supply and demand and right now that favors the seller.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by swmshoot View Post
    New to Gunbroker and would like your help in explaining to me what its all about. 1) Is it legit? 2) Are all the guns used? 3) Is it safe to buy a used gun that you have never seen in person? Never bought a gun on line before. Whats the pros and cons?
    Absolutely legitimate. Have done many purchases and several sales. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    it's not GunBroker that matters though, it's the seller you are purchasing who needs to be 'legit'.
    Exactly so.

Read through the buyer's info guide, to acquaint yourself with all of the terms and conditions, as well as to read GB's overview of their service.

Basically, it's a community bulletin board where folks can advertise their items for sale. GB's responsibility is to post the sale and allow buyer's to find the item easily, while collecting a small transaction fee for the service of doing so. But it's your responsibility to work out the questions and the deal with the buyer directly, not GB's.

As an auction site, folks generally take the highest bid, subject to any minimum bid or buy-now value the buyer might have specified. The buyer pays a percentage fee to GB for providing the listing, based on the sale price. Once the auction's won by the buyer, it's the buyer's and seller's responsibility to communicate with one another, dealing through a FFL shop for the transfer.

I'd recommend speaking on the telephone with the seller ahead of time, to ensure you're convinced that the seller is legitimate, is offering something with good value, that there aren't any problems you're otherwise not aware of. Ideally, I'd want to understand the gun's basic history ... ie, is the seller the original purchaser, how many rounds, maintenance history, etc. If you're comfortable with the item, then submit a bid at the amount you're willing to spend. That bid amount might well be far higher than the current bid. Nicely, GB will ratchet up the bid price based on who's submitted with maximum bids. If yours ends up being the highest bid, so long as it's over the seller's minimum requirements, you win the item.

Generally shipping is extra, usually specified in the offer. Sometimes the seller will offer to cover the cost of shipping, specified in the offer if that's the case. In all cases, you'll need to pay your own FFL shop the transfer fee for transferring the gun to you. The seller will ship the gun via the seller's FFL shop to your own FFL shop. (BTW, GB requires going through legitimate FFL's for transfers, on firearms.)

Be sure to get a tracking number that you can trace along its route, knowing when it shipped and being notified of when it arrives. UPS or FedEx handles this very nicely. Work out the shipping method with the seller.

That's basically it. GB is NOT responsible for how the transaction goes. That's your responsibility, to ensure you're comfortable with a quality seller, to be comfortable with the seller's prior history and rating by other buyers. If you end up failing to have the product shipped to you despite having paid, work through the problem with the seller; call the seller, to clarify. If truly a problem, work with VISA/MC and with GB to resolve. GB will refund a portion of your transaction fees, if any. Though, payments are often specified by the seller to be made as cashier's checks or money orders. Either way, it's your responsibility to work through getting your money back or getting the item shipped. As with any online type deal, be aware of delays and errors that can occur with emails/communications. Which is why I always like to get on the telephone at the start, and to get on the telephone if anything ugly happens.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    [QUOTE=swmshoot;2637644 Whats the pros and cons? [/QUOTE]

Have purchased numberous times, both new and used firearms and ammo. I got my USED 98% - 357 Sig HK P2000SK from an LEO trade-in for $600.00. They will state if they are NIB - New in the box or used.

Bigs Cons is we have IDIOTS bidding up the firearm beyond the MSRP! When you see a Ruger LCR 22 Win Mag going for a fixed price of $600.00 and the you can purchase them from a LGS for $440.00! Thats the CON!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I have bought and sold there. Sold a 1902 rifle to a guy in NY state, I insisted that it be done through an FFL, even though that may not have been necessary. The last thing i want to do is put a weapon in the hands of one who has forfeited the right.
    crossfireltd likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Figure a mark up of 20% at minimum.

Or you can get a good deal. Found a new Sparks Summer Special II black horsehide for a Glock 19 for 80 bucks. Almost broke the keyboard in my haste.

Like anything else, hit or miss. I wouldn't be afraid to do business there.

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Bigs Cons is we have IDIOTS bidding up the firearm beyond the MSRP!
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    Figure a mark up of 20% at minimum.

Other folks bidding things beyond recognition only impacts us if we let it. Solution: don't bid beyond the value, beyond what you're prepared to pay.

Even in this time of insanity and irrational bidding, there are on many items great deals from time to time, given the simple fact that there aren't always sufficient numbers of bidders to run up the prices on each and every example of a given gun. The GB history of recent sales shows this in many cases.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Nice thing about GunBroker is that it is run like a real auction, distinctly different from fleaBay. GB has a "15-minute" rule that allows late bids after the nominal ending time... which works like the auctioneer's "going - going - gone!" This confounds the use of "sniping" software (blessedly).
    atctimmy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Auctions should not be done while stupid or emotional. I buy a lot of stuff at live auctions and never go above my set price. As for Ebay sniping, I don't see it affecting my profits. Its fun watching my auctions rise big at the very end, and when buying I just auto-bid my absolute max and let it ride. If I don't win, there will be a similar item along shortly.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by swmshoot View Post
    Thanks
    The site is legit, but, like Ebay, there can be bad Sellers not yet known to those who run the site - so my advice: Always pay with credit card, if the seller won't take a C.C. skip it. Any other means of payment leaves you no real recourse in case you hit a bad seller, Gunbroker can't legally get your money back altho it can ask seller and bar him from future sales if it's really outrageous. But a Card can and will just take $$ out of Sellers bank account if you win the complaint. See, it's THEIR money, loaned to you, and WHAM!, it's credited back to your account because the money's owner - the Credit Card Bank - now has it back.

This happened to me once on an Ebay sale for an expensive item that was a BS sale. And I won. And Seller was in England. Thought he was safe. WHAM! out of his Bank and back to Bank that issued Card - and cancellation of that item on my account.

Anyway, that is the way to guard your hard-earned money on a transaction anyplace you don't know the Seller - and then you can safely use Gunbroker - find many more sellers than you ever could in your area.
    Last edited by detective; March 2nd, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Gunbroker gives you national shopping power. As a lefty I enjoy finding what I need instead of looking at empty local shelves.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by detective View Post
    The site is legit, but, like Ebay, there can be bad Sellers not yet known to those who run the site - so my advice: Always pay with credit card, if the seller won't take a C.C. skip it. Any other means of payment leaves you no real recourse in case you hit a bad seller ...
    What I've done with a couple of sellers is to speak with their FFL shop in advance, to arrange them to be the broker who would hold the gun, describe it for me while I'm on the phone, to whom I'd send the money (where they'd hold it for the buyer until the gun was sent). If asked, many brick-and-mortar shops will perform this service, if the seller is a frequent customer.

Of course, paying via ccard essentially boosts the odds one is dealing with an FFL with a merchant bank account anyway.

Still, good advice, as one of the steps that can help protect against fraud. Buying sight-unseen from a distant seller can be a bit nerve wracking, without any guards, until buys have been done a few times without problem.
    detective likes this.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

mox
    Only negative I really have about Gunbroker is that it's not very "liquid." Meaning that compared to Ebay, for example, there aren't a lot of customers. So you may only get a few bids on an item. The upshot is that sellers tend to set their prices high to begin with. In general anyway, but every now and then there are some good deals to be had.

Best to do your research and decide what you're willing to pay for the gun you're after. Figure in shipping and shipping insurance, some sellers will definitely pad their shipping costs.

I picked up my Sig P250 on Gunbroker. I didn't get a great deal, but I paid what the gun is worth, which is fair
    Last edited by mox; March 3rd, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
    detective likes this.

I have bought and sold on GB and, knock on wood, had good luck so far. On some firearms, the prices are obscenely high (esp. on out-of production S&W revolvers, darn it) but if you are patient, good deals can be had. Also, ask your questions of the seller before bidding.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links